What was your all time Picco-"low'?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: What was your all time Picco-"low'?

Post by Deathbringer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:25 pm

I only became a fan of the series a few years ago, since I started watching the anime I only just went deeper and deeper, discovering things like DBZ Abridged, the Japanese version of the series and especially Kanzenshuu enabled me to become more and more obsessed, and then even after all that they announced Resurrection F, then they announced Super and that gave me even more to be interested in. So yeah I've never actually hit my low yet, thanks to things like Kanzenshuu and the entire internet fandom at large I pretty much can't stop thinking about the series every single day. I've never even played any of the video games or read the entire manga yet (all I have is the first 3-in-1 volume (and I'm not planning on getting the rest, I think I might go for the single volumes instead) and the first full colour Saiyan arc volume) so there's plenty more for me to still get into.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:52 pm

I suppose never, really. Even when the series itself failed to hold my interest pre-BoG I still played the video games and posted on DB forums.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:24 pm

My low point in the series was the fight with Frieza (after 7 or 8 episodes), most of the DBZ movies (especially Broly and Cooler), and Dragon Ball: The path to power. With the last two movies, I wasn't burnt out so to speak, but those abominations were massive kicks in the pants to me because of their sheer wretchedness. During the Frieza fight, however, I'd rarely watch DBZ because the fight was getting mind-numbingly tedious and even the SSJ transformation couldn't save it for me. Nonetheless I pulled through. Honestly, the same happened with Cell and early Buu but once Super Buu started fighting Vegeta I'd watch 3 episodes a day if I could.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

TheSeductiveTomato
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheSeductiveTomato » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:54 pm

Throughout high school, about 2009-2012. I went through a phase where I thought I was "too old" for cartoons. I slowly got back into it when I dug up my old Funi singles in the attic and shortly after, I watched the original DB for the first time and discovered a new love for the series. Now it's one of my favorite franchises and I get super (pun semi-intended) hyped for new content. :D

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:25 am

My all time low is right now..
As we are moving in the universe survival arc..
Getting pretty tired of the series and the character portrayals..

Almost wanna drop it but don't only because I want to see exactly how it turns out and not leave based on the general direction..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:44 am

Ki Breaker wrote:My all time low is right now..

Almost wanna drop it but don't only because I want to see exactly how it turns out and not leave based on the general direction..
If I'd never stopped watching the series before, my low would be right now. I'm fine with the character portrayal, my problem is far more basic; It's boring.

Seriously, I've never been more bored watching Dragon Ball in my life, everything is so stale. Beerus and Whis aren't fresh anymore, Zeno stopped being fun quite a while ago. I know we haven't seen these new characters well enough to judge yey, but so far, they don't seem like anything special. Even in this tournament, which has such high stakes and amazing new possibilities for character introductions and developments. Despite all of this potential, nothing from the actual show is giving me any reason to expect that they'll deliver on any of it. This arc is what, 3 episodes in? We're seeing plenty in the way of fights (given the most recent episode's credits, it was probably a bad idea), but that's it. There doesn't seem to be any substance, any hook.

When I'm looking forward to the OP more than the arc itself before things even kick off, something is very wrong.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic because I was duped with the first tournament and the FT Arc, but I don't think that's what it is. I have the worst premonition that things are going to fall apart somewhere along the way, just like they always have in Dragon Ball Super.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:01 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:My all time low is right now..

If I'd never dropped the series before, my low would be right now. I'm fine with the character portrayal, my problem is far more basic; It's boring.

Seriously, I've never been more bored watching Dragon Ball in my life, but everything is so stale. Beerus and Whis aren't fresh anymore, Zeno stopped being fun quite a while ago. I know we haven't seen these new characters well enough to judge yey, but so far, they don't seem like anything special. Even in this tournament, which has such high stakes and amazing new possibilities for character introductions and developments. Despite all of this potential, nothing from the actual show is giving me any reason to expect that they'll deliver on any of it. This arc is what, 3 episodes in? We're seeing plenty in the way of fights (given the most recent episode's credits, it was probably a bad idea), but that's it. There doesn't seem to be any substance, any hook.

When I'm looking forward to the OP more than the arc itself before things even kick off, something is very wrong.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic because I was duped with the first tournament and the FT Arc, but I don't think that's what it is. I have the worst premonition that things are going to fall apart somewhere along the way, just like they always have in Dragon Ball Super.
Now that I think about it, it's just me trying to justify why the show is so damn boring and I chose character portrayal as the culprit..
These points do convey my thoughts pretty much all the way up to the premonition
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:03 am

Ki Breaker wrote:These points do convey my thoughts pretty much all the way up to the premonition
"Premonition" was a bit of a theatrical word. More like a hunch.
Retired.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:05 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:These points do convey my thoughts pretty much all the way up to the premonition
"Premonition" was a bit of a theatrical word. More like a hunch.
Naah it suits quite well when possible pessimism is brought into the equation, gotta be a little dramatic :lol:

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:15 am

I guess the lowest point I had was from 2009 till Battle of Gods. The last video game I had was Raging Blast 2 and I lost interest in Kai and video games, shifted my focus to other franchises and while I occasionally drop by from time to time and still listen to the podcast when it comes out, I wasn't as obsessed as I was from five years earlier.

Then Battle of Gods came along reviving my interest and Super came along and slowly getting my groove back, and now I'm watching DBZ in its entirety for the first time in my life.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:32 pm

I can't think of one time where I had little interest in Dragon Ball.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I was just defending Spectacular Spiderman, they did end up resolving stuff. All they didnt immediately reveal was Mary Jane coming back but John Semper said she's fine, Peter did save her, it just wasnt shown.
It's kind of sad that we never got to see him find Mary Jane on-screen.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:22 am

That is really hard for me, but I guess I can consider it to be when the Resurrection of F saga hit Super and until Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters hit Toonami. I really wasn't doing anything Dragon Ball related during that time outside of viewing this forum and I was kind of exhausted from Dragon Ball because I wasn't interested in Super's Universe 6 Saga (From what I saw, majority of it was fighting and there was no interesting main villain) and seeing rehashes of the films. I probably should given the Future Trunks Saga a chance, but I just didn't feel like going out of my way to watch it.
Since DBZ Kai: TFC hit, I became addicted once again because I love the beginning of the Buu Saga and the dub is really good! :thumbup:
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:26 am

I really likely Super now, but I can't help but hate how Piccolo is being done. I feel like he has no in universe purpose and it's annoying me. Everything else is perfect. Gohan is acting right, the arc has been giving great fights, 17 is coming back. I just want some closure with Piccolo. Let the mofo rest already. All he does now is job or get disrespected the only reprieve is pan. I don't care if he never wins a fight again just give him something like he did Krillin or even Yamacha. A career an alien wife anything. At least tfs Piccolo has nail and kami. Real Piccolo is just walking depression.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:02 am

I've never lost interest in the franchise, but my personal low point would have to be back in 2005 when Toonami UK took all the Dragonball shows off the air and then gave us the Big Green movies. The fact that the UK had no home release at the time made it impossible for me to watch the series for a few years, until I was able to import the Orange Bricks around 2008. In those years TV seemed to get worse in general, and I remember Toonami UK have that stupid revamp were they became a poor mans version of Nickelodeon. The only DB thing I had during those times were the yearly PS2 games which I would look forward to for months on end, and then play them all year until the next one came out.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:13 pm

Mine would have to be late 2014-May 2016. Battle of Gods had left theaters, and DB Kai was going to hit Toonami. I was prepared to watch the whole series again through that broadcast. Then I started to see trailers for a new Dragon Ball movie 2015, "The worst wish ever made". I was starting to lose interest, and after moving schools, nobody rally liked Dragon Ball, then I started to fall out of the fandom, along with being too lazy to DVR Kai. I occasionally googled the internet every once in a while to see if the Kai Final Chapters Dub has came out yet, and we all know ho that turned out. Then around May 2016, I was watching KaggyFilms's DBZ Burst Limit LP to get ready for a trip I was taking to a cousin's house of mine that lives in Europe, since I knew they had Burst Limit. I decided to look at more Dragon Ball, then I discovered Super. Then I re-found Kanzenshuu, joined the Forum and started Super from episode 47. The Beginning of the Future Trunks Saga. I decided to rewatch DB, Kai, and GT (Dubbed) Watched Resurrection F, and watched most of the movies. Now I am watching all 508 episodes of DB, Z, and GT Subbed.

Sorry for the Necro-Post

EDIT: I'm now OMG CRAZY REG!

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:06 pm

Probably around the time the Buu saga started airing on CN. For the next few years, I would play the games that came out because a lot of them were actually pretty good but I didn't really watch the show.

Sometimes in....2006 I think, they started airing the Ultimate Uncut version of the Saiyan Saga on CN. It was tremendous being able to see an uncensored (overall dub quality notwithstanding) version of DBZ on TV. I even got my girlfriend at the time into it. As soon as that batch of episodes wrapped up, I tried getting her to watch the Japanese version. She broke up with me a few months later. :lol:

Kai got me back into Dragon Ball proper. The idea of a "director's cut" was exactly what I was looking for as my main problem with the series is it's length/padding.