Is Akira Toriyama more hated than loved? And by whom?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Post Reply
User avatar
Totamo
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Is Akira Toriyama more hated than loved? And by whom?

Post by Totamo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:10 am

Growing up, people around me always said Z was overrated and that Akira Toriyama was a shit writer and everytime that was said, there be a flock of fans to defend it.


However. nowadays its hard to find those who will not only defend but even praise him. Its gotten to the point people are comparing him to George Lucas.


Now the man is not perfect, but i will raise the sword and shield for him when people slander his name. Not because I love Dragon Ball, but because I have read several of the man's one shots and i Have gotten more out of them than some full series out there.

Is Toriyana even respected anymore like he used to be?

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Is Akira Toriyama more hate than loved?

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:31 am

I think the hate comes from a vocal minority.

Akira Toriyama is factually one of the most respected manga authors in Japan.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: Is Akira Toriyama more hate than loved?

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:42 am

I still like Toriyama, although he's not the beast he used to be. I don't think many who know what they're talking about actually hate him as a writer, it's more frustration that he doesn't give his all with these new Dragon Ball stories, which is apparent even if you like them.
Retired.

User avatar
Boo Machine
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 7:44 pm
Location: On the Track to NoWhere

Re: Is Akira Toriyama more hate than loved?

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:45 am

I don't see much hate for Toriyama. I read disappointment from some people at times but it's rare that I see out right hate.

So no, I think Toriyama is still plenty loved. I still very much enjoy stuff he draws and writes, Dragonball or otherwise.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

User avatar
SpiritBombTriumphant
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Is Akira Toriyama more hate than loved?

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:09 am

I've never really heard anyone trash talk Toriyama. Insult DBZ, yes. But Toriyama? No. The only problem I have with him is his lack of ideas anymore. It shouldn't have been too difficult to think up a similar scenario to the Goku Black arc. But Toei's editors apparently had to suggest the idea to him.

Other than that, I love him. You want to see someone people hate? Look at Yoshihiro Togashi, author of HunterxHunter.

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: Is Akira Toriyama more hate than loved?

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:18 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:It shouldn't have been too difficult to think up a similar scenario to the Goku Black arc. But Toei's editors apparently had to suggest the idea to him.
I don't know why this only half-true notion is going around lately. The Future Trunks arc was based on an editorial suggestion, which likely went something like "bring Future Trunks back" or "make an evil Goku character", or something like that. Toriyama still wrote the actual arc, and judging from the fact that both versions of DBS are extremely similar, he went into a good bit of detail with it compared to the first tournament.
Retired.

User avatar
TheZFighter
Regular
Posts: 530
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:40 am

Re: Is Akira Toriyama more hate than loved?

Post by TheZFighter » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:45 am

Dumb thread.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

User avatar
emperior
I Live Here
Posts: 3898
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Dragon World
Contact:

Re: Is Akira Toriyama more hate than loved?

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:35 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:It shouldn't have been too difficult to think up a similar scenario to the Goku Black arc. But Toei's editors apparently had to suggest the idea to him.
I don't know why this only half-true notion is going around lately. The Future Trunks arc was based on an editorial suggestion, which likely went something like "bring Future Trunks back" or "make an evil Goku character", or something like that. Toriyama still wrote the actual arc, and judging from the fact that both versions of DBS are extremely similar, he went into a good bit of detail with it compared to the first tournament.
I couldn't have said it any better. I'm like 99% sure the suggestions were just what you said, to bring Future Trunks back and to have an evil Goku. Toriyama used these ideas in a incredibly good way, much like what happened with Beerus.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6420
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Is Akira Toriyama more hate than loved?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:40 am

Toriyama is still my sensei.

The inherent shittiness of Minus and the anime version of Super can never change that.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31207&p=969551#p969545

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Is Akira Toriyama more hate than loved?

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:51 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Toriyama is still my sensei.

The inherent shittiness of Minus and the anime version of Super can never change that.
I think his original work on Dr. Slump and Dragon Ball is enough to prevent his reputation as a writer from going down for a lot of people.

Sure we might not agree with some of the things he does now but I don't think there's anything he can do now that'll undo the great work he did on those 2 stories.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here
Posts: 4020
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: Is Akira Toriyama more hate than loved?

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:53 pm

Nah, Toriyama is definitely loved by the majority. The only ones who really hate him are Tenshinhan fans who can't accept that Kuririn would kill him with his finger.

User avatar
successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 906
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Re: Is Akira Toriyama more hate than loved?

Post by successoroffate » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:56 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:Nah, Toriyama is definitely loved by the majority. The only ones who really hate him are Tenshinhan fans who can't accept that Kuririn would kill him with his finger.
Or those who are salty because Goku doesn't hug Chichi that much.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:36 pm

Re: Is Akira Toriyama more hate than loved?

Post by lancerman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:17 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:It shouldn't have been too difficult to think up a similar scenario to the Goku Black arc. But Toei's editors apparently had to suggest the idea to him.
I don't know why this only half-true notion is going around lately. The Future Trunks arc was based on an editorial suggestion, which likely went something like "bring Future Trunks back" or "make an evil Goku character", or something like that. Toriyama still wrote the actual arc, and judging from the fact that both versions of DBS are extremely similar, he went into a good bit of detail with it compared to the first tournament.
Well that and the last time he used Future Trunks (Android/Cell arc) his editors made him rearrange the arc multiple times to get a better big bad. So it's not even without precedent going all the way back to the old days.

User avatar
Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:47 pm
Location: SEGMENTVM SOLAR

Re: Is Akira Toriyama more hate than loved?

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:26 pm

Totamo wrote:Growing up, people around me always said Z was overrated and that Akira Toriyama was a shit writer and everytime that was said, there be a flock of fans to defend it.


However. nowadays its hard to find those who will not only defend but even praise him. Its gotten to the point people are comparing him to George Lucas.


Now the man is not perfect, but i will raise the sword and shield for him when people slander his name. Not because I love Dragon Ball, but because I have read several of the man's one shots and i Have gotten more out of them than some full series out there.

Is Toriyana even respected anymore like he used to be?
It's interesting that you say that.

In my experience with other people talking about him and retrospection on his life and work compared with the present, I have noticed that when Toriyama introduces concepts that radically change the original franchise, most people chuckle and respond in a manner that can be generally interpreted as "Heh, heh, silly Toriyama. LOL".

When George Lucas does the same thing, however, everyone yells out "YOU GREEDY, FAT S.O.B.!!!!" and hate on him with a passion.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

User avatar
Totamo
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: Is Akira Toriyama more hate than loved?

Post by Totamo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:45 pm

Esfír Dedragón wrote:
Totamo wrote:Growing up, people around me always said Z was overrated and that Akira Toriyama was a shit writer and everytime that was said, there be a flock of fans to defend it.


However. nowadays its hard to find those who will not only defend but even praise him. Its gotten to the point people are comparing him to George Lucas.


Now the man is not perfect, but i will raise the sword and shield for him when people slander his name. Not because I love Dragon Ball, but because I have read several of the man's one shots and i Have gotten more out of them than some full series out there.

Is Toriyana even respected anymore like he used to be?
It's interesting that you say that.

In my experience with other people talking about him and retrospection on his life and work compared with the present, I have noticed that when Toriyama introduces concepts that radically change the original franchise, most people chuckle and respond in a manner that can be generally interpreted as "Heh, heh, silly Toriyama. LOL".

When George Lucas does the same thing, however, everyone yells out "YOU GREEDY, FAT S.O.B.!!!!" and hate on him with a passion.
the star wars Fandom is pretty toxic at times.

User avatar
floofychan333
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1374
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:03 pm
Location: Edmonton, Canada

Re: Is Akira Toriyama more hate than loved?

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:51 pm

Far from it. Everyone loves Akira Toriyama despite making fun of him for being somewhat lazy and forgetting stuff.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

User avatar
TheDevilsCorpse
Moderator
Posts: 11376
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: Is Akira Toriyama more hate than loved?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:01 pm

TheZFighter wrote:Dumb thread.
This is not an acceptable post for the Kanzenshuu community and doesn't contribute to the discussion. If you don't like a post or topic, don't respond to it. No one is forcing you to participate in such conversations.

I also suggest you review the the community guidelines as a refresher of what is expected of you as a member here.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Is Akira Toriyama more hate than loved?

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:18 pm

Totamo wrote:
Esfír Dedragón wrote:
Totamo wrote:Its gotten to the point people are comparing him to George Lucas.
I have noticed that when Toriyama introduces concepts that radically change the original franchise, most people chuckle and respond in a manner that can be generally interpreted as "Heh, heh, silly Toriyama. LOL".

When George Lucas does the same thing, however, everyone yells out "YOU GREEDY, FAT S.O.B.!!!!" and hate on him with a passion.
the star wars Fandom is pretty toxic at times.
What George did is change everything AND make sure that no one had access to the original material just because he didn't like it anymore. Toriyama has never done that and never will.

Toriyama wasn't satisfied with the RRA arc but you don't see him forcing the companies involved wih the franchise to call back every copy of the anime and manga that had it so he could release an updated version that didn't include it.

Then you have Lucas blaming fans for him leaving the franchise, saying that they're too hard on him. really ? I'm not a star wars fans so I'm sure there are others here who know more about this than I do but based on the two examples above, it seems like he's just a cry baby who takes his ball home the second someone questions him. I've read a lot of Toriyama interviews and I've never seen him say anything close to that. The reason fans will always respect Toriyama even if they disagree with him is because he never looks down on them. Lucas on the other hand seems to think fans owe him something. With that kind of creator, I'm surprised there are as many Star wars fans as there are.
lancerman wrote:The last time he used Future Trunks (Android/Cell arc) his editors made him rearrange the arc multiple times to get a better big bad.
No one made him change anything, his former editor didn't like his ideas so he listned to him and changed things around, he could've just gone thorugh with what he originally wanted to do if he wanted to.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Kaboom
Moderator
Posts: 14144
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: Funky Town
Contact:

Re: Is Akira Toriyama more hate than loved?

Post by Kaboom » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:25 pm

TheZFighter wrote:Dumb thread.
If you think so, then nobody's forcing you to participate in it. There's no reason to pop in just for rude and pointless comments like this.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader

We Gotta Power >>>>> Cha-La Head Cha-La. Fight me.
If Super wanted to be "canon," then it should have been good.
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4233
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: Is Akira Toriyama more hate than loved?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:30 pm

Akira Toriyama is lazy and does not really care about continuity. That does not make him a bad writer. A bad writer would be an unimaginative one that rips off everything and needs help putting the simplest ideas together.

I think it all stems from Toriyama not really caring enough about the "canon" and continuity -- which is why he is self-admittedly lazy. This idea warps many fans' delicate sense of canon and they lash out at him because they can't keep their battle power lists.

Post Reply