Versions of DBZ Films 1-13

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Versions of DBZ Films 1-13

Post by jamiljamtheman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:56 am

Hello all,

I recently completed my collection of these movies; I have them as the 3 "movie pack" box sets. Curiosity has lead me to want to find out when they were actually dubbed - based on the Kanzenshuu Home Video Guide, my understanding is this:
- Movies 1-3 use the 2005-2006 funimation dubs ("ultimate uncut edition")
- Movies 4-13 use the 2001-2006 dubs from when they were first released.

Am I understanding that correctly? Also, does anyone know if the 16:9 cropping is the same as the ones used theatrically by Toei or if it is Funimation's own like the season sets?

Bonus question: I saw that on those older DVD releases, several of the movies came with "edited" editions. What was the difference? Were these versions shown on TV or something?

Puto
I Live Here

Re: Versions of DBZ Films 1-13

Post by Puto » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:44 am

It's FUNi's own cropping, but it mostly matches.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:58 am

From what I've noticed Funis 16:9 crop of the Movie's usually has a little bit more footage on all four sides then the Dragon Box does.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:09 am

jamiljamtheman wrote:Bonus question: I saw that on those older DVD releases, several of the movies came with "edited" editions. What was the difference? Were these versions shown on TV or something?
Several of these films ultimately did air on Toonami (and would have used these edited versions as their base), but the edited home releases came first. This was at a point in time when FUNimation was still actively releasing both "uncut" and "edited" versions of their English dub on home video. In terms of DVD, only the movies had edited releases; the rest of the DVD releases (of the TV series) were solely uncut/bilingual. The VHS releases were (obviously) dub-only, and had separate uncut and edited versions for the vast majority of the show's production on that format.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:54 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Several of these films ultimately did air on Toonami (and would have used these edited versions as their base), but the edited home releases came first. This was at a point in time when FUNimation was still actively releasing both "uncut" and "edited" versions of their English dub on home video. In terms of DVD, only the movies had edited releases; the rest of the DVD releases (of the TV series) were solely uncut/bilingual. The VHS releases were (obviously) dub-only, and had separate uncut and edited versions for the vast majority of the show's production on that format.
Interesting... Were the changes (on the dvds/tapes I suppose) mostly mundane stuff like omitting a couple minutes of violence? Were there any movies significantly changed in the edited ones?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:20 pm

I don't think there were entire minutes of footage cut. I think it was mostly blood that was cut out. Does anyone know if they cut out 13 punching Goku in the nards?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:08 am

ABED wrote:I don't think there were entire minutes of footage cut. I think it was mostly blood that was cut out. Does anyone know if they cut out 13 punching Goku in the nards?
I could be totally off here, but I think minutes were cut from the films. When you compare the running times listed on the back of the DVD/VHS cases, normally the "uncut" version is 2-3 minutes longer than its censored counterpart.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:30 am

Tyro wrote:
ABED wrote:I don't think there were entire minutes of footage cut. I think it was mostly blood that was cut out. Does anyone know if they cut out 13 punching Goku in the nards?
I could be totally off here, but I think minutes were cut from the films. When you compare the running times listed on the back of the DVD/VHS cases, normally the "uncut" version is 2-3 minutes longer than its censored counterpart.
I think that's the result of shaving things here and there rather than full minutes of footage.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.