Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20896
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:13 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:
Yes, I'm simply using the same terminology that was used to explain Freeza's similar power gains. It might be a unofficial fan term, I'm not sure where I got it.
When was it stated that Freeza was genius in fighting? Unless I missed a throwaway line in Resurrection F movie/re-telling. Freeza just never trained before and decided to do so for the first time and got monstrously strong.
Maybe there isn't a term in the movie, I forget. But he and 17 definitely have to be something abnormal. Gokuu and Vegeta train for years and only reach SSJ3 tier, but they train for less and get dozens of times stronger? They clearly completely outclass the other characters.
Freeza was portrayed as a freak from the get-go and it got all the more exaggerated with the long he fought the cast. Hell, Freeza got stronger from patchwork cyber-implants that were just meant to keep him alive. And the Androids were a case of "what-if". They were still mostly human but were still modified with the cybernetic energy source that gave theme essentially bottomless energy. Who knows what could have happened if had be applied through training.

User avatar
AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Post by AloversGaming » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:11 pm

Bulma's sister, and Bulma knowing her sister went off somewhere with a spaceman. I don't dislike Tights, but that is a bad retcon.

#17 most likely being able to hold his own against someone as strong as Beerus during the Buu arc when everyone else was getting whooped by the pink blob.

User avatar
nato25
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1320
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Post by nato25 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:39 pm

AloversGaming wrote:Bulma's sister, and Bulma knowing her sister went off somewhere with a spaceman. I don't dislike Tights, but that is a bad retcon.

#17 most likely being able to hold his own against someone as strong as Beerus during the Buu arc when everyone else was getting whooped by the pink blob.
Bulma having a sister is definitely a retcon but not an unbelievable in my mind at least.

As for #17 you saw how hesitant he was to leave the island even for a little bit. Kind of make you think what he does when he's on holidays lol

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:50 am
Location: Spain

Re: Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:33 am

nato25 wrote:
AloversGaming wrote:Bulma's sister, and Bulma knowing her sister went off somewhere with a spaceman. I don't dislike Tights, but that is a bad retcon.
Bulma having a sister is definitely a retcon but not an unbelievable in my mind at least.
I personally find it quite unbelievable. I wouldn't have minded it if Bulma hadn't known she had a sister for whatever reason, but the way she's introduced, as if she had always been there, with no one in her family having made a single reference to her before, doesn't feel believable to me.

However, even if it's a similar situation, I don't consider Tarble another example. We didn't have much information about Vegeta's family, not even in flashbacks, so I don't find it jarring. If the Bardock special can get away with not mentioning Raditz, Vegeta can get away with not mentioning Tarble.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17396
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:10 am

I can't recall exactly, but wasn't it stated explicitly at the start of DBZ that there were only 4 remaining Saiyans? I find Tarble to be a stretch just like Bulma's sister. What does this long lost sister bring to the show anyway?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:50 am
Location: Spain

Re: Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:49 am

ABED wrote:I can't recall exactly, but wasn't it stated explicitly at the start of DBZ that there were only 4 remaining Saiyans? I find Tarble to be a stretch just like Bulma's sister. What does this long lost sister bring to the show anyway?
I'm not sure right now, but did Vegeta ever mention it? I don't find it hard to believe that Radditz didn't know about Tarble (weakling and everything), but Vegeta stating it would turn Tarble into a plothole.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

User avatar
coola
I Live Here
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am
Location: Poland

Re: Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Post by coola » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:04 am

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
ABED wrote:I can't recall exactly, but wasn't it stated explicitly at the start of DBZ that there were only 4 remaining Saiyans? I find Tarble to be a stretch just like Bulma's sister. What does this long lost sister bring to the show anyway?
I'm not sure right now, but did Vegeta ever mention it? I don't find it hard to believe that Radditz didn't know about Tarble (weakling and everything), but Vegeta stating it would turn Tarble into a plothole.
He did say that
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:50 am
Location: Spain

Re: Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:38 pm

coola wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:I'm not sure right now, but did Vegeta ever mention it? I don't find it hard to believe that Radditz didn't know about Tarble (weakling and everything), but Vegeta stating it would turn Tarble into a plothole.
He did say that
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I didn't remember that part. It's a full-blown plothole then :lol:
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

User avatar
nato25
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1320
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Post by nato25 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:42 pm

Vegeta doesnt seem to think much of tarble and back then he was still pretty cold and ruthless. I dont think its hard to imagine Vegeta assuming he was dead. He probably didnt even know if tarble escaped namek but i guess he somehow knew raditz escaped.

Also i dont believe Tarble comes up in the show at all, just the yo son goku special and battle of gods movie.

User avatar
GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:28 pm

Re: Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:29 pm

Does Dragonball Minus count as a Retcon? Before that Bardock was just an anime special that later had a panel shot in the manga. Then Minus came and changed the character and contradicts the special. But since the original special was anime only, would it have been considered apart of the original manga series in the first place?
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

VDenter
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Post by VDenter » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:29 pm

The moon magically being back in the Saiyan arc. Even though it was destroyed by Roshi in the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai arc.

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6898
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Re: Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Post by Kendamu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:19 pm

Would Toriyama coming up with his own explanation for how things went down be a retcon? I'm thinking of History of Bardock and Dragon Ball Minus specifically. You could probably throw that one thing where he went back in time, too.

I'm sure you guys have thought of much bigger things, but Bardock's evolving story is the one that really sticks out like a sore thumb for me.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:21 pm

ABED wrote:What does this long lost sister bring to the show anyway?
It's like some of the other recent retcons, it's there just to be there. We'll probably never see her or Vegeta's brother again but they're out there somewhere.

Another big one is Beerus being the reason why Freeza destroyed Planet Vegeta, it ruined Freeza's connection to the Saiyans and as of now it seems like that's the only reason it was done.
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Since the original special was anime only, would it have been considered apart of the original manga series in the first place?
No but a lot of people looked at it as DB's unofficial prequel so there was really no need to change it but like the above, it was changed just to be changed.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:18 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Post by Dragon Sponge » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:11 pm

VDenter wrote:

The moon magically being back in the Saiyan arc. Even though it was destroyed by Roshi in the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai arc.
The Moon was restored by the earthern God after he removed Son Gokus Tail. Goku states at the 23rd Budokai, after everyone wonders where his Tail is, that the earthern God removed his Tail so that he can make a new Moon. Look it up.

VDenter
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Post by VDenter » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:38 pm

Dragon Sponge wrote:
VDenter wrote:

The moon magically being back in the Saiyan arc. Even though it was destroyed by Roshi in the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai arc.
The Moon was restored by the earthern God after he removed Son Gokus Tail. Goku states at the 23rd Budokai, after everyone wonders where his Tail is, that the earthern God removed his Tail so that he can make a new Moon. Look it up.
Yep i was wrong. I guess it was not a plot hole ,sorry my bad. I had completely forgotten or just did not know that they do explain it.

VDenter
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Post by VDenter » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:38 pm

VDenter wrote:
Dragon Sponge wrote:
VDenter wrote:

The moon magically being back in the Saiyan arc. Even though it was destroyed by Roshi in the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai arc.
The Moon was restored by the earthern God after he removed Son Gokus Tail. Goku states at the 23rd Budokai, after everyone wonders where his Tail is, that the earthern God removed his Tail so that he can make a new Moon. Look it up.
Yep i was wrong. I guess it was not a retcon ,sorry my bad. I had completely forgotten or just did not know that they do explain it.

precita
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5468
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: Biggest retcon in DragonBall?

Post by precita » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:02 pm

Esfír Dedragón wrote:
1) The Pilaf Gang still existing. I'm not just saying this because I have a nuclear-powered hatred of them, but even though we see them survive their fall from the sky and find out that they were apparently turned into infants, who the HECK took care of them!? Not only that, but before the whole Battle of Gods storyline fiasco was ever introduced, I always found it so surprising that they were considered good enough to be brought back to life and be part of DBGT.
Did Pilaf gang ever do a single thing that could be counted as "evil?" I don't see why Shenron wouldn't revive them. The worst they did was working for King Piccolo, but even then they themselves never actually did anything.

Wanting to rule the world isn't "evil," and as far as we know they've never even killed a single person.

Post Reply