Dragonball on CRT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2890
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am

Dragonball on CRT

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:43 am

Hey does anybody else here like to watch pre HD era Dragonball stuff on a classic 4:3 TV? Back in June of last year I got a 20 inch barely used Phillips CRT, mainly for video games. But I found a second use for it; DVD's of old 4:3 shows. Watching the Dragonboxes on my PS3 via component looks amazing. If I can find one my next goal is a barely used 29-30 inch SCART TV and then eventually a Sony PVM or even BVM.

Image
Trust me, this picture doesn't really do it justice.
Retired from forum discussion.
[Avatar by Ei_Flow]

User avatar
dagame10k
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:35 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Dragonball on CRT

Post by dagame10k » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:34 am

Watching SD Dragon Ball material on a CRT can be a nice experience, can also be very nostalgic. I myself almost bought a couple Sony PVM/BVM broadcast monitors a couple years ago for old games and DVDs sourced from analogue tape masters, but ultimately I decided I didn't want them taking up floor space.

As a compromise I found a pixel shader that is compatible with Media Player Classic and Pot Player which emulates the CRT technology to an extent which is good for bad looking DVDs, then you have greater shader options like these for CRT era games http://filthypants.blogspot.ca/2016/03/ ... aders.htmlwhich make the older low resolution games look closer to how one played them on a CRT as they were indented.

I still remember watching my first Dragon Ball Z DVD 16 years ago, when compared to watching a cable airing, it was like going from SD to HD, the picture was just so much clearer, though I might of had bad analogue cable.
"Nobody's Real............"

User avatar
Kokonoe
Regular
Posts: 580
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:26 pm

Re: Dragonball on CRT

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:30 am

CRT's are great for this sort of thing for a few reasons.

1. They handle multiple resolutions better unlike fixed pixel displays and most CRT TVs are 480i so you're getting native res with no upscaling.
2. CRT's have no motion blur or ghosting so fast motion scenes are crystal clear.
3. Contrast ratio is excellent and blows even VA LCD Panels out of the park.
4. Colors are gorgeous and eye popping.

Right now I'm rocking something a bit higher end and I use it (GDM-W900) to watch old Dragon Ball Z and even newer stuff like Super since I can go really high res with it. (1080p and much higher)

Here's two shots of the Dragon Box in 480p native on my CRT monitor.

http://i.imgur.com/hAsT3if.jpg (full res link)
Image
http://i.imgur.com/TUlAP5r.jpg (full res link)
Image

Of course it looks better than this in person, although this monitor is a bit aged so it's not as bright as it should be. However, it has stunning picture quality which makes for better DBZ watching and I don't have to worry about 480p being upscaled.

User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2890
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am

Re: Dragonball on CRT

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:55 am

Interesting but I think a modern screen would be better for anything post SD. But I'm interested in the fact there's a CRT that can do more than 1080P. Also yes, CRT's have more benefits than just no lag; I should bring them up next time I'm asked why I have one.

For SD Dragonball watching, my ultimate goal is to watch Dragonbox The Movies on the 32 inch version of this via 480P RGB Sync on Green. Or is the Dragonbox better left in YPBPR?
Retired from forum discussion.
[Avatar by Ei_Flow]

User avatar
dario03
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1300
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:36 pm

Re: Dragonball on CRT

Post by dario03 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:38 pm

CRT was great for image quality, response times, and running different resolutions and refresh rates. They only got phased out because of other factors like power consumption (same problem plasma had), size, and difficulty making large screens. There was a couple of different technologies (SED and FED) that were going to be similar to crt but without those issues (though without the multi-resolution bonus) but they never made it to market. And yeah they did go higher than 1080, a lot higher actually. My computer monitor that I was using up till about 4 years ago was a CRT from 2000 and it was made for 1440 75hz. Sadly it died but I do still have a 27" CRT TV though it lacks component connections. But I have been thinking about checking to see if it still works to play some old school games on it, might have to watch some DB on it while I'm at it.

User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2890
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am

Re: Dragonball on CRT

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:55 pm

Does it have S-video? I've never actually seen S-video in action, but I've heard it's pretty good. Personally I find it hard to go back to composite and if it were the highest connection analog could offer I would probably just use CRT's for Super Smash Bros and Street Fighter.
Retired from forum discussion.
[Avatar by Ei_Flow]

User avatar
Kokonoe
Regular
Posts: 580
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:26 pm

Re: Dragonball on CRT

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:30 am

ringworm128 wrote:Interesting but I think a modern screen would be better for anything post SD. But I'm interested in the fact there's a CRT that can do more than 1080P. Also yes, CRT's have more benefits than just no lag; I should bring them up next time I'm asked why I have one.

For SD Dragonball watching, my ultimate goal is to watch Dragonbox The Movies on the 32 inch version of this via 480P RGB Sync on Green. Or is the Dragonbox better left in YPBPR?
Essentially you're trading resolution for picture quality (Although LCD's have come a long way and have had far more work done on them than CRT's ever got). The CRT tech in itself is superior to LCD in terms of picture quality, but LCD's have convenience and higher resolutions now with 4K and such (although 4K is pointless for anime at this point).

The thing about my monitor however is that it's very rare, so it's going to be hard to find one unless you get either mine or the even better FW900 on eBay for like 400$+ and drive really far to pick one up (depending on where you live). And as time goes on, CRT's are starting to age in picture quality so finding one that's still in good condition (picture wise) is something to add on to that list of difficulty. Luckily for my current monitor, I picked it up for 150$ and it's been great albeit not being the brightest monitor but it's bright enough. It's 16:10 so there will be some black borders for 16:10 content on the bottom and top, but since it's still widescreen it's great for watching modern anime and modern shows.

If you want a budget way to do widescreen, looking for HD CRT's on craigslist is an option, although be prepared to lift 300 freaking pounds sometimes, or for the lesser ones like Toshiba / Samsung, 150 pounds. You can go up to 720p or 1080i with them, or even watch in 480p. Progressive does in fact make a big difference even on CRTs.

If you have something to transport one in, look for "Trinitron" on craigslist and you can look if there's a widescreen looking one since they don't always mention it, and some even have HDMI ports which comes really in handy for watching shows. It'll prob add one frame of lag (for the analog to digital conversion), but it doesn't matter too much.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:03 am

Re: Dragonball on CRT

Post by ZodaEX » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:53 pm

Kokonoe wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:Interesting but I think a modern screen would be better for anything post SD. But I'm interested in the fact there's a CRT that can do more than 1080P. Also yes, CRT's have more benefits than just no lag; I should bring them up next time I'm asked why I have one.

For SD Dragonball watching, my ultimate goal is to watch Dragonbox The Movies on the 32 inch version of this via 480P RGB Sync on Green. Or is the Dragonbox better left in YPBPR?
Essentially you're trading resolution for picture quality (Although LCD's have come a long way and have had far more work done on them than CRT's ever got). The CRT tech in itself is superior to LCD in terms of picture quality, but LCD's have convenience and higher resolutions now with 4K and such (although 4K is pointless for anime at this point).

The thing about my monitor however is that it's very rare, so it's going to be hard to find one unless you get either mine or the even better FW900 on eBay for like 400$+ and drive really far to pick one up (depending on where you live). And as time goes on, CRT's are starting to age in picture quality so finding one that's still in good condition (picture wise) is something to add on to that list of difficulty. Luckily for my current monitor, I picked it up for 150$ and it's been great albeit not being the brightest monitor but it's bright enough. It's 16:10 so there will be some black borders for 16:10 content on the bottom and top, but since it's still widescreen it's great for watching modern anime and modern shows.

If you want a budget way to do widescreen, looking for HD CRT's on craigslist is an option, although be prepared to lift 300 freaking pounds sometimes, or for the lesser ones like Toshiba / Samsung, 150 pounds. You can go up to 720p or 1080i with them, or even watch in 480p. Progressive does in fact make a big difference even on CRTs.

If you have something to transport one in, look for "Trinitron" on craigslist and you can look if there's a widescreen looking one since they don't always mention it, and some even have HDMI ports which comes really in handy for watching shows. It'll prob add one frame of lag (for the analog to digital conversion), but it doesn't matter too much.
Why is 4k pointless for anime exactly? I'm not sure I understand why it would be.

User avatar
Vorige Waffe
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:50 pm

Re: Dragonball on CRT

Post by Vorige Waffe » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:42 pm

ZodaEX wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:Interesting but I think a modern screen would be better for anything post SD. But I'm interested in the fact there's a CRT that can do more than 1080P. Also yes, CRT's have more benefits than just no lag; I should bring them up next time I'm asked why I have one.

For SD Dragonball watching, my ultimate goal is to watch Dragonbox The Movies on the 32 inch version of this via 480P RGB Sync on Green. Or is the Dragonbox better left in YPBPR?
Essentially you're trading resolution for picture quality (Although LCD's have come a long way and have had far more work done on them than CRT's ever got). The CRT tech in itself is superior to LCD in terms of picture quality, but LCD's have convenience and higher resolutions now with 4K and such (although 4K is pointless for anime at this point).

The thing about my monitor however is that it's very rare, so it's going to be hard to find one unless you get either mine or the even better FW900 on eBay for like 400$+ and drive really far to pick one up (depending on where you live). And as time goes on, CRT's are starting to age in picture quality so finding one that's still in good condition (picture wise) is something to add on to that list of difficulty. Luckily for my current monitor, I picked it up for 150$ and it's been great albeit not being the brightest monitor but it's bright enough. It's 16:10 so there will be some black borders for 16:10 content on the bottom and top, but since it's still widescreen it's great for watching modern anime and modern shows.

If you want a budget way to do widescreen, looking for HD CRT's on craigslist is an option, although be prepared to lift 300 freaking pounds sometimes, or for the lesser ones like Toshiba / Samsung, 150 pounds. You can go up to 720p or 1080i with them, or even watch in 480p. Progressive does in fact make a big difference even on CRTs.

If you have something to transport one in, look for "Trinitron" on craigslist and you can look if there's a widescreen looking one since they don't always mention it, and some even have HDMI ports which comes really in handy for watching shows. It'll prob add one frame of lag (for the analog to digital conversion), but it doesn't matter too much.
Why is 4k pointless for anime exactly? I'm not sure I understand why it would be.
Because there's no anime being made in 4K. At all. A lot of late night anime TV shows are still mastered in 720p. The only stuff produced in 1080p are movies and maybe OVAs. Right now the only 4K anime out there is the movie compilation version of Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky, and even then I wouldn't be shocked if that was just upscaled from 1080p with a new HDR color grade slapped on it. Right now the only anime that would benefit from a 4k release would be old movies shot on 35mm film and given a new scan.

Post Reply