Could Funimation have Censored "Mr. Satan" Differently?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Re: Could Funimation have Censored "Mr. Satan" Differently?

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:38 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
YonedgeHP wrote:Naming Chi-Chi as Milk was not a censorship decision, it was the client who made up those terms based from the Zero y el Dragón Mágico script, which was based on the Harmony Gold dub. But they kept her name, like Ox-Satán, when his name is Rey Gyuma.
I taught Gloria Rocha was the one who came up with the name Milk. She liked to change names for no reason like Piccolo Daimao to Pikkoro Daimaku, Dr. Gero to Dr. Maki etc. I still see Milk as a censorship though. Why did the client changed her name in the first place? If I had to bet, I would say that it was because naming her Chichi wasn't appropiate for a kids show.
To be fair, it sounds like trying to excuse the name change no matter what. With Chichi being a potentially unappropiate name, the change must have involved censorship, with the client being the most likely option.

Daimaku and Maki seem totally random, but "Ox-Satán" and "Rey Gyuma" are both understandable, even if I wouldn't consider either of them a good translation of the original.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:37 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:
YonedgeHP wrote:Naming Chi-Chi as Milk was not a censorship decision, it was the client who made up those terms based from the Zero y el Dragón Mágico script, which was based on the Harmony Gold dub. But they kept her name, like Ox-Satán, when his name is Rey Gyuma.
I taught Gloria Rocha was the one who came up with the name Milk. She liked to change names for no reason like Piccolo Daimao to Pikkoro Daimaku, Dr. Gero to Dr. Maki etc. I still see Milk as a censorship though. Why did the client changed her name in the first place? If I had to bet, I would say that it was because naming her Chichi wasn't appropiate for a kids show.
To be fair, it sounds like trying to excuse the name change no matter what. With Chichi being a potentially unappropiate name, the change must have involved censorship, with the client being the most likely option.

Daimaku and Maki seem totally random, but "Ox-Satán" and "Rey Gyuma" are both understandable, even if I wouldn't consider either of them a good translation of the original.
I'm not trying to excuse Chi-Chi's name change. Regardless if it was changed by the client, the dub director or the translator, I still see it as a censorship.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:32 am

Bajosexto wrote:I'm not trying to excuse Chi-Chi's name change. Regardless if it was changed by the client, the dub director or the translator, I still see it as a censorship.
Oh, no! I was referring to YonedgeHP. Sorry for not being clear enough :lol:

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:35 am

It's already been mentioned above but seriously in the Japanese version they pronounce Satan as "Sat-Ann" which sounds a lot more like Saturn than Satan, the only way it could have been more perfect would have been if Saturn was God of the underworld. Mr Saturn would have been a great name to get around the censorship issue and is probably the only name I could accept for the character if you *had* to change it because it still references an ancient religious/mythological figure.
(Yes I know Hercule is taken from Hercules but it's a complete different name not a sound alike like Mr Saturn is)

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:22 am

Deathbringer wrote:It's already been mentioned above but seriously in the Japanese version they pronounce Satan as "Sat-Ann" which sounds a lot more like Saturn than Satan, the only way it could have been more perfect would have been if Saturn was God of the underworld.
Well, the Roman God of the Underworld was Pluto, and I wouldn't advise using that name in English :lol:
But hey, if we go to the Greek roots, what about Mr. Hades?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:52 am

Yeah, they could have taken the Mr out and call him Satan instead..
And for the Satan chant in the kid buu fight they could have changed it to
hail Satan
It's already been answered by other members, don't have much else to say
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Mr. Savage would be easy on the voice actors and would have been a pun/connection with Randy Savage. I like that alternative best.