Thoughts on Super Saiyan Hair becoming more refined as the series progressed?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Thoughts on Super Saiyan Hair becoming more refined as the series progressed?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:58 am

So as the series went on, the Super Saiyan hair transformation became more refined from it's shaggy like intro to the now modern lego-like hair as a few fans refer to it now, but throughout the series we can see an evolution of it, curious what do you guys think? What era of SS hair is your favourite? Personally I like the Cell era of SS.
(Fyi I grabbed these shots of YT since I don't have anything with me)

Introduction in the Freeza arc:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Example from Cell arc:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Examples from Buu arc:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Examples from Modern DB:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Re: Thoughts on Super Saiyan Hair becoming more refined as the series progressed?

Post by nato25 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:07 am

More refined looks better in my opinion but the series is so inconsistent with hair in general and eye colour it's hard to pin down what it's meant to look like.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Re: Thoughts on Super Saiyan Hair becoming more refined as the series progressed?

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:11 am

I always hated it tbh. That wild and flowy look that Super Saiyan got was something that was a staple for the form whenever I thought of it. The Cell arc kinda maintained this for a while, so I was alright, but I didn't like the Buu arc's designs of the hair being given darker and more defined spikes. It was bearable in a lot of cases, and done awesomely in a lot, but the hair designs from the previous arcs were what I really considered the awesomest.

As for the modern ones....Man.....I hate that. That plastic look is just ugly IMO. I really can't stand it. It really just fell apart and started looking really bad.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:18 am

Bansho64 wrote:I always hated it tbh. That wild and flowy look that Super Saiyan got was something that was a staple for the form whenever I thought of it. The Cell arc kinda maintained this for a while, so I was alright, but I didn't like the Buu arc's designs of the hair being given darker and more defined spikes. It was bearable in a lot of cases, and done awesomely in a lot, but the hair designs from the previous arcs were what I really considered the awesomest.

As for the modern ones....Man.....I hate that. That plastic look is just ugly IMO. I really can't stand it. It really just fell apart and started looking really bad.
Yeah the Cell arc I thought was perfect, it was more a bit more refined than the Freeza arc which was needed since the Freeza arc it was a bit too wild in my opinion. It is why the Goku vs Cell bit is my favourite of that whole arc the SS Goku hair looks so good.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:33 am

It's a tough choice for me between Freeza and Cell saga, but I think I'll go with the first. The SSJ hair increased baddassery hundredfold

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

But of course, I don't think any can top this :P

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:52 pm

Am I the only one who doesn't see a difference?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:57 pm

Can't say it bothers me that much.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:00 pm

It definitely became more lined, more detailed as time went on, but I don't think that it became more refined per se.
Retired.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:10 pm

nickzambuto wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't see a difference?
You really don't? Not even in this example?
[spoiler]Image vs Image[/spoiler]

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:27 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't see a difference?
You really don't? Not even in this example?
[spoiler]Image vs Image[/spoiler]
I mean I can tell they are drawn differently, one has more lines and distinction than the other, but neither strikes me as more "shaggy" or "refined" than the other.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:00 pm

I'd have kept SS1 simple just so 2 has more distinguishing features from it down the line. 2s entire problem is that, besides Gohan in his initial appearance, the form looks way too similar to SS1 by the time the Boo arc rolls around.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:04 pm

Tenkaichi series did this pretty good, so it should be easier to see the differences in the hair. (wish I could find a non cropped pic, though...)

ImageImage

It got more spiky/detailed and less light in color as well as being more vertical. Both are great, but man, I gotta say that the older SS1 looked cooler to me.
Last edited by Kokonoe on Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:05 pm

I absolutely adore what I call "classic super saiyan" aka the Freeza - early Android look.
The way Trunk's and Goku's hair flows here, makes it look like...well, hair. Not being stuck in that one ridged style is just really cool looking to me. The first Cooler movie did this as well, and is another reason I love that classic look.

The other defining thing to me is that classic "has no lines." By that I mean, the later artistic renderings of super saiyan have a bunch of black lines to add detail to the hair, and while that can look cool too, I still prefer the more "blank" look.

When I was younger, and didn't have access to any clip of dragon ball I wanted on a whim, so I actually wasn't sure if I had just imagined that super saiyan looked different from how it was later on. Not until budokai tenkaichi 3 did I realize that my memory wasn't faulty.
I still live playing as Goku (mid), just to see this version of super saiyan.

Edit: Damn it! I got ninja'd about mentioning BT3!

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:11 pm

Kaio_Krazy wrote:I absolutely adore what I call "classic super saiyan" aka the Freeza - early Android look.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The way Trunk's and Goku's hair flows here, makes it look like...well, hair. Not being stuck in that one ridged style is just really cool looking to me. The first Cooler movie did this as well, and is another reason I love that classic look.

The other defining thing to me is that classic "has no lines." By that I mean, the later artistic renderings of super saiyan have a bunch of black lines to add detail to the hair, and while that can look cool too, I still prefer the more "blank" look.

When I was younger, and didn't have access to any clip of dragon ball I wanted on a whim, so I actually wasn't sure if I had just imagined that super saiyan looked different from how it was later on. Not until budokai tenkaichi 3 did I realize that my memory wasn't faulty.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Haha, it's all right, you still posted game screens which helps even further. But yeah, the classic look is awesome, also Goku being super muscly made it look awesome too.

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:29 pm

Kokonoe wrote:Haha, it's all right, you still posted game screens which helps even further. But yeah, the classic look is awesome, also Goku being super muscly made it look awesome too.
I can go both ways on that one. Him being all beefcake against Freeza looked awesome to me, but I also liked his more athletic look from the Cell games. When the form was new, the muscles definitely helped articulate that Goku was now ridiculously more powerful, as opposed to a zenkai boost, where they'd have to tell you he was stronger instead of showing it. It also kinda visually tied back to how over muscled he looked while using the kaio-ken, back in the saiyan arc, except now he had control over it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:04 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I'd have kept SS1 simple just so 2 has more distinguishing features from it down the line. 2s entire problem is that, besides Gohan in his initial appearance, the form looks way too similar to SS1 by the time the Boo arc rolls around.
Yeah it does [spoiler]SS1 Image S22Image[/spoiler] I guess it's subtle enough?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:14 pm

I personally like more "flowy" rendition of the Super Saiyan hair, mainly due to it not looking like a "stiff" brick like wig. The hair should have remain that way.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:07 pm

I've always preferred the flowy hair of earlier Super Saiyan drawings. It doesn't feel overly stiff and it looks really nice and natural in motion. I hate to use my avatar as an example but I think it's a good one:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I particularly like how you can actually see more obvious traces of Goku's base hair here. I do wish it would've stayed this way, but what can ya do?

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:57 pm

I've always thought Vegeta looked awesome with the classic SSJ hair! The little golden aura thing around him looks badass.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:37 pm

I like both styles for different reasons. I like the overall volume and more distinction between characters the original style has, but I also love the visual detail and "cleaner" look that the spikier style has.

The Cell arc look is pretty good too, as it's a transition point between the hair styles.
Kaio_Krazy wrote:When I was younger, and didn't have access to any clip of dragon ball I wanted on a whim, so I actually wasn't sure if I had just imagined that super saiyan looked different from how it was later on. Not until budokai tenkaichi 3 did I realize that my memory wasn't faulty.

Actually, that bottom one is Super Saiyan 2 Goku, whose hair is spikier, a bit shorter, and he has shorter and fewer bangs.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash