Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Krillin1994
Regular
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:14 am

Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:53 am

I always had a controversial opinion in that I enjoyed this instalment in the Broly franchise more than the other 2 films.

I always loved the ambition of it doing something quite different to any of the other DBZ films in that it was more in the style of a giant monster movie.

The interactions in this movie were pretty sweet:
Krillin and 18 fighting together (something people are stoked for in Super)
Goten and Trunks having personality outside of Gotenks
Mister Satan is always a delight (for me at least)

The set up at the start feeling like something out of a Bruce Lee film before the switch in tone
The unique way of having the villain be defeated.

It just felt quite refreshing to me compared to a lot of the other DBZ films so I was wondering what were the issues people had with the film?

Did it have anything to do with the lack of Vegeta, Goku, Piccolo and Gohan?
Was it because Broly didn't just get to look buff and shiny and smash things?

What made what seems to be a large part of the fanbase dislike this film?

User avatar
coola
I Live Here
Posts: 2986
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am
Location: Poland

Re: Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Post by coola » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:07 am

Personally, i think Second Coming is much worse, i really like Bio Broly, it give me vibes of 50's horror monster movies :) On the other hand, i find Movie 13 to be boring, and DBZ Movie 3 is one of my least favorite movies, becasue of boring henchman, and Z-warriors reduced to punching bags. (Couldn't even let them beat minions, eh?) so maybe I'm weird? :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:49 pm

I like the movie, it was pretty fun.

I think it's disliked just because it has the name "Broly" attached, he was so stale. However, Bio-Broly is barely even a Broly movie, so it's quite unfortunate that it has to fall under that umbrella.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2713
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:54 pm

I honestly never hated Bio-Broly. I enjoy it. It's simply a DBZ movie with a plot from a B-monster movie.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2763
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:17 pm

For me personally, the film was just kind of boring. The whole Bio-Warriors concept could've been interesting on its own, but it ended up only really amounting to an excuse to bring back Broly, and while I don't necessarily hate Broly like some other fans do, I definitely think giving him a 3rd movie was pushing it. Also, Goten and Kid Trunks aren't really interesting as the main protagonists of their own movie.

User avatar
Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5493
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Nagano
Contact:

Re: Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Post by Cipher » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:28 am

I like all three Broli movies. They're fun.

The first feels the most like a stand-alone feature outside Movie 13, and the second two feature some fun interactions between characters we don't get to see all that often. Movie 10 has some fantastic animation, while Movie 11 has a B-movie creature-feature vibe none of the other films go for.

Does Movie 11 really need to be a Broli movie? Probably not. But I don't think it suffers for it either.

User avatar
successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 906
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Re: Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Post by successoroffate » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:07 pm

Poorly executed in my opinion. It'd been better to have either a Metal Broly or just another regular Broly...
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15035
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Post by Chuquita » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:19 pm

He so quickly turns from being Brolli to being giant goo-monster that there's really no reason for it to be Brolli at all.

Also Goten and Kid Trunks as leads really isn't my thing. The 18 and Mr. Satan stuff was ok though; the two of them plus Krillin as leads could've been good
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

User avatar
Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6570
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:15 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:13 pm

Chuquita wrote:He so quickly turns from being Brolli to being giant goo-monster that there's really no reason for it to be Brolli at all.

Also Goten and Kid Trunks as leads really isn't my thing. The 18 and Mr. Satan stuff was ok though; the two of them plus Krillin as leads could've been good
Yeah, this is the reason in my case as well..
I was expecting to see broly but it wasn't broly, it was done deformed creature..

Same reason I dislike merged Zamasu turning into bio goo later on..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

User avatar
Lord Frieza
I Live Here
Posts: 3706
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:53 pm

You know, I do like Bio-Broly. Not as film but as a conspet and I think he looks cool. Also that roar Bio-Broly dose when powering up to face Goten is epic.

I long time ago I came up with a rewrite.

The idea was Paragus survived, he barely missed the comet, can came back as a cyborg. He came to earth and offered Jaguar and his scientists technology in exchange for revenge. Through him they learn about Goku and the rest as well as Satan being a fraud. They use the new tech to create bio warriors. They then steal DNA from Krillin, Tien, Yamcha, Piccolo and Vegeta and create more powerful ones although these have deformities as the process for such powerful subjects has not been perfected. Paragus and the scientist begin to work on Broly in secret.

The basic plot plays out the same except most of the gang tag along.

Our heroes are attacked by the bio warriors and get split up, Gohan, Goten and Trunks go after Paragus while the rest of the gang fight the doppelgangers and win.

Then Paragus revels Broly, like the movie he breaks out but his mutation dose not effect his power. Thanks to the bio warrior process he's know ever stronger and the mutation makes him harder to kill, worse he cannot be controlled and is even more violent then the original. Our heroes team up to beat him.

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6481
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:13 pm

-It literally shits on Broli even further by making him a shit monster
-Goku, Gohan, or any other character that can carry a whole story aren't there... only Goten and Trunks who aren't terribly interesting characters at all while Krillin (who reduced to comic relief as usual), #18 (who won't shut up about money), and Marron join the "fun".
-The whole plot is stupid as hell even by DBZ movie standards
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am
I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:59 pm
Location: Where I wander

Re: Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Post by Captain Strawberry » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:11 pm

It may because it's titled as a "movie". This is more suited as a fun OVA
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 21003
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:28 pm

Captain Strawberry wrote:It may because it's titled as a "movie". This is more suited as a fun OVA
In all honestly, all of the Dragon Ball (Z) "movies" were really OVA's.

But on the topic of Bio Broly. I just felt like overkill. I mean, they already squandered any kind of potential for the character to have any depth beyond being a standard raging lunatic with great power in his debut movie. It was obvious they were really running of ideas on what to do with Broly so they basically turned him into the Swamp Thing to make him more intriguing but it didn't really work.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:20 pm

It's probably because they just released 2 better Broly movies before and non of the main characters were in it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
floofychan333
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1374
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:03 pm
Location: Edmonton, Canada

Re: Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:44 pm

Bio-Broly's considered to be the worst of the Broly movies but I think it's the best. A different main cast from the usual show was an interesting change, while character designs and development were quite good by a Dragon Ball movie's standards. It's difficult to describe why Broly was better in this movie, but for some reason his bioengineered form was effective as opposed to the sheer stupidity that was the original Broly. In my opinion, this movie's a bit of a hidden gem in the franchise that doesn't get as much credit as it should, but do keep in mind that I like all the movies everyone hates (Lord Slug, World's Strongest) and hate the ones everyone likes (both Cooler movies, Broly 1, Path to Power).
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6124
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:14 am

floofychan333 wrote:It's difficult to describe why Broly was better in this movie, but for some reason his bioengineered form was effective as opposed to the sheer stupidity that was the original Broly.
Original Broly wasn't stupid. That was his movie 10 version where he only knew how to say "KAKARROT!"
Lord Beerus wrote:
Captain Strawberry wrote:It may because it's titled as a "movie". This is more suited as a fun OVA
In all honestly, all of the Dragon Ball (Z) "movies" were really OVA's.
An OVA is a show that is released straight to video (hence the Original Video Animation). The Z movies were released theatrically, thus they are movies.

Plus, many, if not most of them outlast the length of typical OVAs, even if by a small margin.
Cipher wrote:I like all three Broli movies. They're fun.

The first feels the most like a stand-alone feature outside Movie 13, and the second two feature some fun interactions between characters we don't get to see all that often. Movie 10 has some fantastic animation, while Movie 11 has a B-movie creature-feature vibe none of the other films go for.

Does Movie 11 really need to be a Broli movie? Probably not. But I don't think it suffers for it either.
I agree with all of this. Movie 11 has some of my favorite Buu-arc music tracks as well.

Honestly, at this point, we need a "why the hate for Broly" thread. I remember before the maximum power image became a meme, Broly was legitimately popular, and in the really old days of the fandom on the internet, movie 8 was one of the most well regarded Z films.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
Kokonoe
Not Banned
Posts: 649
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:26 pm

Re: Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:47 am

Trunks pees on Broly, literally. Enough said.

User avatar
KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:39 pm

Re: Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:40 am

I just can't get past it having a puddle of puke for a villain.

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:46 am

Kokonoe wrote:Trunks pees on Broly, literally. Enough said.
As if everyone hasn't. Pst...
Retired.

User avatar
Freeza9000
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:51 am
Location: Outside of time

Re: Why the hate for Bio Broly?

Post by Freeza9000 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:55 pm

Kokonoe wrote:Trunks pees on Broly, literally. Enough said.
That wasn't even the Bio Broli movie.

Post Reply