How would you write a "Dragon Ball Next Generation" series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Re: How would you write a "Dragon Ball Next Generation" series?

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:29 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Maybe Goku and Vegeta can be mentors to Pan and Bra. And Pan would constantly be talking about when she grows up, she wants to be just like her Grandpa.
Now, see, I would be down for that. The only problem there is the GT issue and the "would girls sell?" issue. And I've always assumed Bra wouldn't turn out to want to be a fighter, but that's just my headcanon.
What is the "GT issue"?
Caulifla best girl! :)

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:01 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
MozillaVulpix wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Maybe Goku and Vegeta can be mentors to Pan and Bra. And Pan would constantly be talking about when she grows up, she wants to be just like her Grandpa.
Now, see, I would be down for that. The only problem there is the GT issue and the "would girls sell?" issue. And I've always assumed Bra wouldn't turn out to want to be a fighter, but that's just my headcanon.
What is the "GT issue"?
Pan is in GT, and she gets enough screentime to be considered a major character there. So people would be very hesitant to bring her back for another major role in the next series. Especially if they don't change her character much from there. Oh, and GT implies she can never go Super Saiyan (that line in the Perfect Files the only exception), which really limits what you can do with her.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:04 am

Easy. Pan, Bra, Uub, Maron, and Trunks and Goten as the new main heroes. Gohan occasionally joins in.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:47 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
MozillaVulpix wrote:
What is the "GT issue"?
Pan is in GT, and she gets enough screentime to be considered a major character there. So people would be very hesitant to bring her back for another major role in the next series. Especially if they don't change her character much from there. Oh, and GT implies she can never go Super Saiyan (that line in the Perfect Files the only exception), which really limits what you can do with her.
Who knows, she'll might more development than she ever gotten in GT. And she can go Super Saiyan.
Caulifla best girl! :)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:48 am

precita wrote:Easy. Pan, Bra, Uub, Maron, and Trunks and Goten as the new main heroes. Gohan occasionally joins in.
Where would Goku be in all this? If the others are being the heroes, why wouldn't Goku join in all the time?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:56 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:Oh, and GT implies she can never go Super Saiyan
Not really. She never reaches it in the series, but no one aside from maybe Goten and Trunks became a Super Saiyan the first time despite meeting every discernible criteria.
Retired.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:42 pm

ABED wrote:
precita wrote:Easy. Pan, Bra, Uub, Maron, and Trunks and Goten as the new main heroes. Gohan occasionally joins in.
Where would Goku be in all this? If the others are being the heroes, why wouldn't Goku join in all the time?
Goku can be retired in many ways. Though we all know that Goku is more important than the Dragon Balls themselves in the serie, so he must be involved in some way.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:43 pm

emperior wrote:
ABED wrote:
Goku can be retired in many ways. Though we all know that Goku is more important than the Dragon Balls themselves in the serie, so he must be involved in some way.
Goku would never retire.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:24 pm

After following this series since '98/ '99, I have to say personally I'm ready to see them take a gamble and go with a new set of "Z Fighters". It would be interesting to see how it would be done though. Using existing characters, as things stand it looks like the "new generation" would be Trunks, Goten, Marron, Uub, Pan and Bulla. It is important to also remember the Pilaf, Shu and Mai have been made younger as well, so they could feature (which I think is a good thing as I am a Mai fan). Of course, the issue is that the "original Z Fighters" are all still there, and most of them are still active fighters, and given them either not being "human", or being super fit/ healthy, it doesn't look like they will be going away any time soon.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:27 pm

I think the primary obstacle to my enjoyment of a new cast is the potential humor. Goku is an enjoyable protagonist for me because I find his interactions with the world around him, and the people who inhabit it, to be hilarious. A new protagonist/cast would need to be able to capture that feeling.

I don't think they'd necessarily need to be a Goku clone. GT and Super have shown that Vegeta can pull this sort of thing off pretty well. Vegeta's pretty different, personality-wise, from Goku, so it's obviously possible for a non-Goku type character to pull this off. That means a "next generation" could certainly work for me.

That said, I feel like every attempt the series has made at a "next generation" has fallen flat. Gohan, Uub, and I'd even say Pan, didn't have personalities themselves entertaining enough that I'd want to see how other types of characters would react to them, and how they'd react to "fish out of water" situations.

Personally, I'd like to see someone with Freeza's personality become the next generation's "villain turned reluctant good guy" (ala Tenshinhan, Piccolo, and Vegeta). I desperately wanted RoF to lead to something like this, but it didn't happen. This would be a second chance at that. Just have a haughty, spoiled descendant of Freeza attack Earth or something to introduce him to whatever Goku-and-Vegeta-descended B Team he'll have. Krillin, Tenshinhan, and Piccolo can be super-old mentors. Plot details beyond that could just about literally entail whatever and I wouldn't really mind.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:40 pm

ABED wrote:
Goku and Vegeta plays the mentor role for the new generation of fighters. Like how the original and senior cast were used in Young Justice and Legend Of Korra.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:13 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ABED wrote:
Goku and Vegeta plays the mentor role for the new generation of fighters. Like how the original and senior cast were used in Young Justice and Legend Of Korra.
Young Justice is a mixed bag. It has good/great plots, but the characters are much less interesting than their mentors. I find myself wondering what the Justice League is up to all the time. Even in your example, the Justice League are not mere mentors, they are off camera doing their own thing. I find the sidekicks inherently less interesting than their mentors. A big issue I have with Young Justice is that it's the sidekicks (despite what Roy says, he is a sidekick) going up against the top DC villains and if the end of season 2 is any indication, they will be going up against Darkseid. Darkseid! That's a Justice League level villain. If the DB world is dealing with such high level threats, where are the big guns?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:17 pm

I don't really have much interest in seeing new characters taking over Goku and Vegeta's roles.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:26 pm

Since Tenshinhan is asexual, there's no reason for him to get back together with Lunch. Yamcha, on the other hand, could have a few kids, but with all the Saiyajins already existing they would be pretty pointless as fighters.
Goten, Bra, Pan, and Trunks would be the Core 4 of the new fighters. An aged Piccolo, still very much into fighting, is disillusioned with the fact that everyone else has given up so he spits out a Namekian kid who joins the fighters. Trunks has a kid who also fights, while on a space voyage a few young aliens join the squad too.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:13 pm

1) I don't think anything along these lines needs to, or should, exist.

2) That said, I think Zephyr hit on a key point that often gets lost in these types of fan-suggested "next generation" pitches, which usually come away sounding a little rote (perhaps because it's a rote premise to begin with). To have these characters with pre-established links to the main cast and their world of fantasy, pre-established powers and the supposition they'll use them for good, misses a huge part of the spirit of Toriyama's writing. Toriyama's main characters, despite starring in generally hopeful, uplifting works about having a positive impact on the world, are nearly always charmingly naive or completely self-absorbed assholes. Sometimes (often) they're both at once. They're anti-heroes in the non-brooding way, fishes out of water who are forced by and large to do some unwitting good. This is true from Dragon Ball all the way down to his one shots. To have an Oob or a Pan leading the show, pre-ordained heroes off on their capital-N-G next-generation adventures with the ability to fall back on tried-and-true mentors, I think, would somewhat fly in the face of that. If there's ever to be a next-generation Dragon Ball, let it feature someone like Freeza's daughter coming to Earth and being forced to interact with these backwater weirdos. The Pans and the Oobs are the people you want to play second fiddle.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:48 pm

As much as me not being a fan of a Dragon Ball and its Next generation being a thing, because honestly theres a reason why AT tried to push Gohan but at the end of the day didnt feel right as well as Toei with Pan and Oob didnt work, Goku just has this charisma in him, he is and will always be the soul of Dragon Ball and is the main meaning behind the title. Tho I am curious with everyones ideas as well, but I'll mostly go with what Devil Corpse said.

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by King-K9 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:39 am

I would use an entirely new cast of characters, who look up to the Z fighters as huge figures from ancient history. Similar to how in real life we look up to the founding fathers, or war heroes.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:53 am

I wouldn't write such a series..
I cannot see this new generation bravado working, this is literally taking the the characters the show was about, Calling it the same show continuation as that name is sure to sell and making a whole new cast no one watched the show for in the first place, and in many cases, don't care about either..

Take pan for example, she was forced down our throats in gt, I cannot care less what pan and uub does, I don't care if bulla is being a slut nor if goten is being a fuckboy..

The old cast is what kept me watching and the new generation taking over entirely idea never grows on me

Boruto is trying this now, and it's not even feeling like a Naruto continuation, just some random banana haired kid who is unlikable in so many levels, who has it all good a family a name no one hates him for existing and we are supposed to take this guy as the protagonist when we clearly saw the real deal struggle to his place today..

We will see how Boruto does..
My prediction, it's not gonna be successful, not even making it in top ten in TV ratings right now..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:19 am

Boruto and even Naruto when it was on air never did that great in ratings. It was always in the top 20 and held a consistent average though. But, it's ratings were for the most part nothing to write home about.

Ratings and home release success don't mean much for long running shows anyways. It's all about merchandise sales and Boruto will do just fine. It is a huge brand name after all and Kishi's involvement will also attract a lot of the hardcore fans of the franchise.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:18 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Instead of Goku going away to train some random kid from Africa...

Firstly, what the f--?

I had an idea that picked up after GT's ending. The main protagonists would be Trunks's son, Pan's daughter (who is married to Trunks's son), Oob (as the wise and powerful mentor by that point), and eventually Trunks's grandson. Vegeta, Gohan, Goten, Trunks, etc. would be characters, but not main ones. But it's not just about two characters; there would be new characters that make up a new "Z Warriors" team.

The story would basically be Trunks's son and Pan's daughter are well-known heroes (I mean they are the descendants of Mr. Satan and Capsule Corps.'s president). Everyone knows about Super Saiyan, etc. And story the picks up from there.