When did hating Broly become the norm?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

When did hating Broly become the norm?

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:23 pm

I got the idea for this thread from another poster on the thread for the Bio-Broly movie, and I figured it was worth asking.

Regarding the current dislike for Broly, I don't recall it having always been that way. These days though, it seems that expressing dislike for the character is pretty much the norm, and anyone who does still like the character is likely to be laughed at among certain circles.

For the record, I'm not even a Broly fan. I did like the character when I was younger, and movie 8 was my favorite of the Z movies for a certain period of time, but there's definitely no arguing that there's not much to the character, and he does get overexposed. At the same time though, he's hardly the worst of the movie villains, unless we're counting "Bio-Broly".

So, while I'm not exactly confused as to the dislike for his character, I am wondering when exactly it became the prevailing consensus.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: When did hating Broly become the norm?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:28 pm

I have no freaking idea, but probably when fans realized the character was one-dimensional and overpowered.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:51 pm

I think when his fans started comparing him to everyone is what led to him being hated.

Before Super started you'd see things like : Ssj3 Goku vs Breoly, Majin Vegeta vs Broly, Cell vs Broly, Buu vs Broly, Ssj4 vs Broly, GT's villains vs Broly, etc.

The same thing contimues when Super started with things like Beerus vs broly, Broly being the resurrected villain before we knew it was Freeza, etc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:58 pm

Around the same time he became a meme.
Retired.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:59 pm

It became norm when people gets "immunized" with Egyptian Cat, Golden garbage, SSJ Rose, Black, 60's coinbox faced Zeno, Wolves god knows what else

Broly is one of those rare instance of "talk less, whoop ass more" brutal villain. Hate for him is unbelievable, which frankly only adds to his enigma.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:24 pm

Brolli's been a joke in Japan way longer than he has internationally. I remember seeing him in memes back when he was still considered cool internationally.

I wanna say he became a joke overseas around four or five years ago. How and why though? No clue.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:08 am

Its been tradition to use classic characters/moments as memes

As of posting this, I came across meme in DBZF no idea which anime it is but the Mods DP displayed "5th Form Cooler's esque face-mask popping with the iconic words"Well, shall we begin"

Another meme Gif showed the anime trolling classic Gohan powering up to SSJ2 against Cell with the dialogue "you transformed?!"

People troll something which is gag/lol worthy. I never came across any Bleach, Naruto, OP meme genuinely funny

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:35 am

Probably around 2010/2011.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:18 am

Singling out Broly for being "shallow" is hilarious when we have villains like 13, Slugg, Janemba and Hildegarn in the movies (which I'm fine with, by the way).

Broly's first film probably has one of the more interesting stories of the film franchise, and actually had some good undertones that most people ignore to use against the character, who was pretty unique compared to the likes of Slugg and 13.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:49 am

Broly is still a humongous fan favorite to the point they made a character inspired by him in Dragon Ball Super. There's plenty reason to criticize Broly movies (including the first one but much less so compared to the other 2), but I think his first movie was one of the better DBZ movies as it had a very interesting concept.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:54 am

I've never been a big Broly fan personally (I think he/ his movies is/ are incredibly overrated), but I always thought he was quite a popular character in general?
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:25 pm

TheZFighter wrote:I've never been a big Broly fan personally (I think he/ his movies is/ are incredibly overrated), but I always thought he was quite a popular character in general?
He's as loved as he's hated.

I think the hate derives from the endless "Broly vs (insert character)" discussions on various Dragon Ball boards and videos, and it's been amplified in recent years by the cancerous YouTube videos like "Broly God of Destruction confirmed", "Broly is from one of the another universes Beerus mentioned", "The worst wish ever (I remember it was supposed to be RoF's title) is about bringing back Broly to life", "Broly confirmed for Super", "Broly counterpart from U6 confirmed", "Broly in Tournament of Power (this one is actually partially true)" etc... It's like some fans can't live without Broly and they always want him in some way or another.
The amount of merchandise, movies and Heroes forms he got also probably doesn't help, he's been monetized to death.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:08 pm

emperior wrote:
TheZFighter wrote:I've never been a big Broly fan personally (I think he/ his movies is/ are incredibly overrated), but I always thought he was quite a popular character in general?
It's like some fans can't live without Broly and they always want him in some way or another.
The amount of merchandise, movies and Heroes forms he got also probably doesn't help, he's been monetized to death.
In all fairness, you could kind of say the same for Bardock, but people still love him.

Besides, Dragon Ball in general has pretty much been monetized to death. It's basically the Star Wars of anime in terms of how much it's been milked.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:13 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
emperior wrote:
It's like some fans can't live without Broly and they always want him in some way or another.
In all fairness, you could kind of say the same for Bardock, but people still love him.

Besides, Dragon Ball in general has pretty much been monetized to death. It's basically the Star Wars of anime in terms of how much it's been milked.
At least Bardock has a personality, unlike Broly.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:42 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
emperior wrote:It's like some fans can't live without Broly and they always want him in some way or another.

At least Bardock has a personality, unlike Broly.
Depends on which version of Bardock we're talking about here. If it's Toei's Bardock, sure. If it's Toriyama or Ooishi's Bardock though, that's up for debate.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:10 am

Yeah, he's loved just about as much as he's hated.
I think the fans that love the violence, old school DBZ favor him because he's a giant psychopathic brute with an awesome design + Saiyan? lmao.
You know when he fights characters are gonna get destroyed which is always fun seeing.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:04 am

I think people that hate him, are ones that know someone personally who thinks he's the most awesome character in Dragon Ball and it annoys them to an extent.

Broli is good in small doses and I don't hate him. In fact, I think he's got a pretty awesome look and gimmick. He's great fun in video games too. He's in 3 movies and that's all I can stand to see him on-screen, though. If he makes a return or something, that'll suck.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:41 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:At least Bardock has a personality, unlike Broly.
Ah, but that's the appeal of Broly! He's beast-like in personality and strength.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:25 pm

I imagine people thought Broly was cool when they were kids because they wouldn't really have cared about his flaws. As people look at Broly now they realize that he isn't the awesome villain they remember him being, so now people disillusioned with having their childhood memories shattered turn to hating the character they once loved.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:48 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Singling out Broly for being "shallow" is hilarious when we have villains like 13, Slugg, Janemba and Hildegarn in the movies (which I'm fine with, by the way).

Broly's first film probably has one of the more interesting stories of the film franchise, and actually had some good undertones that most people ignore to use against the character, who was pretty unique compared to the likes of Slugg and 13.
Broly's shallowness as a character is accentuated because of how much exposure he's had compared to the other villains you mentioned. He's had three movies about him, gets shoehorned into just about every piece of Dragon Ball related media, is marketed to hell by Toei/Bandai Namco, and his hardcore fans are insufferable. He wouldn't have been nearly as hated if he was treated like any regular Dragon Ball movie villain.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93