Does Goku care about Goten at all?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Does Goku care about Goten at all?

Post by precita » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:08 pm

Has anyone noticed there are barely any Goku/Goten scenes in the series, even in Super? They have a nice first meeting when Goku comes back to Earth in the Buu saga, but as we know due to the events of that saga Goten and Goku barely saw each other after Goku and the others left the tournament to pursue Babidi.

I've also noticed that in Super, despite Goku actually living at home with Goten now (besides when he's off with Whis training or in other universes), there's barely anything between them. Goku and Gohan had a whole bunch of bonding moments throughout the series, even after Goku is dead. You never see this with Goku and Goten at all. Remember when Gohan hugged Goku in the Buu arc before traveling to Earth to fight Super Buu?

Goku didn't see his second son for 7 years, but it still feels odd.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Re: Does Goku care about Goten at all?

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:16 pm

I think Goku does care about Goten, unfortunetly the show doesn't focus on it as often. We may have a few rare bonding moments between them like episode 1 and the the two parter where goku orders a hit on himself.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:07 pm

Gokû cares about Goten.
Toriyama, Toei, and Shueisha don't; not all that much anyway. At least that's the conclusion I'm getting from new DB material as of late. Goten (and Trunks) should both be looking noticeably older given how much time has passed and they couldn't even be bothered to redesign them.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:41 am

Of course he cares. Hell, he fucking flipped out when Goku Black told him he killed the alternate timeline version of Chi Chi and Goten when he stole his body. And when he could avenge them, he was really upset about it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:49 am

The Goten Goku moments in Super are cute. Like episode one where Goten gives him lunch, or the episode where he's worried that Goku isn't eating properly & heck in one episode we see Goten on Goku's back when he's push upping. There's been plenty of Goku and Goten moments in Super, Vegeta and kid Trunks on the otherhand...

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:41 pm

Considerin how I prefer (ofc its just me) to keep GT & Super non-existent, I think Goku cares abt Goten just as much as he cared abt Chi Chi, Gohan, Pan etc which basically means Fkin NO

He cares only abt Friends, specifically Kuririn (remember those times when Goku avenged Kuririn's death by squashin Tambourine, Cymbal, Daimou, Frieza)

When Boo wiped out his entire family, he cracked jokes abt Bulma/Chichi's breast

Ofc, I believe its got to do with DB's seemingly "reset" ability

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:18 am

Chuquita wrote:Gokû cares about Goten.
Toriyama, Toei, and Shueisha don't; not all that much anyway. At least that's the conclusion I'm getting from new DB material as of late. Goten (and Trunks) should both be looking noticeably older given how much time has passed and they couldn't even be bothered to redesign them.
I'm not so picky about Goten and Trunks needing to look noticibly older.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

In this image, Son Goku is 16 years old and is drawn this way pretty consistently.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

On the other hand, here Son Gohan is 11 and how old he looks seems to vary a bit during this arc.

Having simply grown used to this sort of thing, I'm not ready to call shenanigans on how old Goten is supposed to look yet.

If they don't age him up for when they catch up to the end of the manga, then I'll be kinda miffed about it.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:30 am

I think the example most point to is Trunks when it comes to him and Goten's appearance in Super.

Trunks is 14 right now in Super given his AGE 766 birthdate and that Super is currently in AGE 780.

Super Trunks

Trunks during History of Trunks

Both of them 14 in their respective images.

I dont think people are too far off when they say Goten and Trunks havent noticeably aged because theres a lack of interest and marketability in them these days. They arent integral to the story as of now and dont make money, so why bother with them? Why do you think Marron still looks 3 despite being 10 if not 11?
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:57 am

Goku is just a negligent father; even Toriyama says so.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:01 am

Of course he does. Remember that he got angry when Goku Black told him he had killed the alternate timeline version of Chi-Chi and Goten when he stole his body.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:38 pm

The fact that the kids haven't aged a bit since the start of the Buu Arc which is ludicrous speaks volumes as to how how Toei and Toriyama care about Goten or even Trunks for that matter.

Goku cares though.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:49 pm

Well, he did get pretty angry when he learned that Black killed Goten and Chi-Chi in an alternate timeline.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:13 pm

He cares about goten as much as he cares about his friends..
Eoz, super episode 1 , rage against black..

These are all instances one can see his care for goten as a prominent factor
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:16 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:I think the example most point to is Trunks when it comes to him and Goten's appearance in Super.

Trunks is 14 right now in Super given his AGE 766 birthdate and that Super is currently in AGE 780.

[spoiler]Super Trunks

Trunks during History of Trunks
Image[/spoiler]

Both of them 14 in their respective images.

I dont think people are too far off when they say Goten and Trunks havent noticeably aged because theres a lack of interest and marketability in them these days. They arent integral to the story as of now and dont make money, so why bother with them? Why do you think Marron still looks 3 despite being 10 if not 11?
You're probably right in terms of marketing. Also, Nozawa herself seems to be limiting herself to only playing two main characters at a time. Before, it was Goku and Goku Black. Now, it's Goku and Gohan. That doesn't leave much room for Goten to shine especially with Dragon Ball Room probably finding the demand for Gohan to be louder than any demand for Goten and Trunks.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:28 pm

"Goten..? Ah yeah cool guy, ate rice with him a few times, bit weird that he copies my hairstyle though."

- Son Goku

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:39 pm

I believe Goku does care about Goten but since there's like no interest in Goten anymore it's almost impossible to see them bond.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:01 pm

Chuquita wrote:Gokû cares about Goten.
Boom. Summed up my feelings perfectly.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.