Dragon Ball Z ranks 176th in NHK "Best Anime" poll.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Theophrastus
Regular

Dragon Ball Z ranks 176th in NHK "Best Anime" poll.

Post by Theophrastus » Wed May 03, 2017 7:32 pm

Between January 8th and March 31st of this year, the NHK (Japan's public broadcasting station) polled people on what the best anime was. ...And unfortunately no Dragon Ball series managed to get into the top 100:
http://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/anime100/ani_report/

However, DBZ did manage to rank 176th place, and the original Dragon Ball anime tied with the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs for 255th place:
http://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/anime100/ani_report/101.html
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Somewhat notably, Dragon Ball Z ranked higher than the first season of the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure anime (178th place), Naruto Shippuden (218th place), the first Naruto anime (288th place), the 2011 Hunter x Hunter anime (tied for 381st place), and Fist of the North Star (also tied for 381st place).

Probably not as glamorous as some might have hoped for, but not a bad showing for two series that are both over 20 years old, I think.
Last edited by Theophrastus on Sat May 06, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z ranks 176th in NHK "Best Anime" poll.

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:57 pm

Even more solidifcation Dragon Ball is better than Naruto. What did Super rank?

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:03 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Even more solidifcation Dragon Ball is better than Naruto. What did Super rank?
I'd be surprised if it actually ranked. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't allow crap like that in the top 400.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Wed May 03, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Wed May 03, 2017 8:09 pm

GT, Kai, and Super all evidently failed to rank in the top 400, as they aren't on the list.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed May 03, 2017 8:09 pm

1位
TIGER & BUNNY 2011年
2位
劇場版 TIGER & BUNNY The Rising 2014年
3位
魔法少女まどか☆マギカ 2011年
4位
ラブライブ! (TVアニメ1期) 2013年
5位
ラブライブ! (TVアニメ2期) 2014年
6位
劇場版 TIGER & BUNNY The Beginning 2012年
7位
コードギアス 反逆のルルーシュ 2006年
8位
カードキャプターさくら 1998年
9位
ラブライブ! The School Idol Movie 2015年
10位
おそ松さん
I can't say I fully agree with this list. It's almost all Tiger & Bunny (Didn't watch to be fair, but not a fan of superhero stuff much.) and Love Live (Which I did like, but it wasn't anything that outstanding, imo. It was fun and upbeat, but not long term memorable.) I didn't watch Code Geass, most of what I know about it are memes that came from it. Madoka I did really like; it was a very good week to week first run show and I had fun theorizing on who Homura was (third movie really cliffhangered the franchise though and I have no clue when if that'll have a sequel). I read CCS more than watched it. I remember it being good, but I don't know if it's top ten good since it's been forever since I've seen it. I only saw one episode of Osomatsu, it wasn't my thing.

Z's anime is fine where it is; the whole the anime is not the main product, the manga is thing and all.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed May 03, 2017 8:19 pm

DBZ not even breaking the top 100 is odd, not until 176?

Dragonball is literally one of the most popular anime/manga of all time, I have no idea how it didn't even make the top 100. The other anime on the list are all questionable.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 03, 2017 11:55 pm

precita wrote:Dragonball is literally one of the most popular anime/manga of all time, I have no idea how it didn't even make the top 100. The other anime on the list are all questionable.
There might've been more to it than just people voting. Maybe there was a group who gave certain points based on quality that was taken into account as well.

Regardless, for both DB&Z to be part of this despite their age and how many great anime that's been released since then is nothing to look down at.
Bansho64 wrote:I'd be surprised if it actually ranked. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't allow crap like that in the top 400.
It didn't and hopefully that'll be enough to get "fans" to stop saying there's no differences between it and the 2 originals.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu May 04, 2017 6:23 am

I'm sure the users who voted didn't take only popularity into account which is a good thing. If that wasn't the case, Gundam would be #1.

Some of my favorite shows are in the top 100 and I sure as hell wouldn't put any of the Dragon Ball series in my top 100, even though I like it quite a bit. Shin Seiki Evangelion should have been in the top 5 though. But, that's just my bias. It is a pretty solid list.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 04, 2017 8:03 am

precita wrote:DBZ not even breaking the top 100 is odd, not until 176?

Dragonball is literally one of the most popular anime/manga of all time, I have no idea how it didn't even make the top 100. The other anime on the list are all questionable.
Dragon Ball Z is not exactly a great anime and it is a terrible adaptation of Toriyama's Manga, it's popularity is probably why it is ranked as high as it is.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:47 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Dragon Ball Z is not exactly a great anime and it is a terrible adaptation of Toriyama's Manga, it's popularity is probably why it is ranked as high as it is.
Isn't it basically popularity poll tho? It's voted by the people, so actual viewers voted these. So, the same popularity argument could be said for all of these.

As for DBZ not being terrible, I wholeheartedly disagree. Both the Saiyan, Cell, and Buu arcs are better than their manga counterparts. Especially the Saiyan arc. The Freeza arc does have too much filler, but it's not bad. The Garlic Jr arc shouldn't exist at all, that I will say.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu May 04, 2017 11:46 am

I'm surprised it wasn't on top 100.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Thu May 04, 2017 12:35 pm

The biggest Dragon Ball fans can admit that the anime adaptation of DBZ's strengths don't lie in the quality of its writing or pacing -- but can anyone deny the influential power of Dragon Ball and Z worldwide? It would seem to me that the entity that we know as Dragon Ball today would be difficult to insert into any "best anime" list because it's not easy to apply standard rules to this series. How do we define "best" when enjoyability far exceeds shortcomings?

I haven't come across any form of media (which isn't too much to be honest :p) that contains the story, characters, designs, likeability, variety, dynamic, running themes,etc. that the DB franchise has brought to the table. Say what you will about length and padding when revisiting the show, but that first run-through of the series was/is memorable. Very flawed and questionable at times, and yet the worlds and characters within keeps drawing us back to it. It's undeniably charming, and there's enough content -- whether it be through watching the series or even listening to the Japanese soundtrack collections -- to make it a nice escape for a long while.

So, Dragon Ball and Z can be whatever # on these lists -- does it really matter with this franchise? The Michigan Wolverines Fab Five College Basketball team from '91-'93 is far from the best College hoops team of all-time, but everyone remembers that team as something that changed the face of College sports. They were heavily flawed, yet entertaining, unique, and they left a big mark on sports culture. Most teams that have won a National Championship aren't held in such reverence. Not the best example, but it's about the point that I'm trying to make.

Ask anyone throughout the world that's even a little versed in anime if they'd ever even heard of most of the top 100 on this list. I would guess that the likeliness of them knowing of Dragon Ball would be almost a sure thing.

I would like to see a list that attempts to tackle "Best Ensemble", "Best Character Moments", "Most Memorable", "Most Influential", "Best Sound Design" in anime.

But yeah, it's all up to who you ask -- not that any list should be taken seriously. They're more fun and intriguing than anything...

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 04, 2017 1:01 pm

Super_Divine_Genki wrote:Very flawed and questionable at times, and yet the worlds and characters within keeps drawing us back to it.
No matter how old it is, no matter how many times we've experienced the story, weather it's through the manga, anime or games, we'll still always go back to it which is something the majority of the top 100 and even most anime will never be able to do.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu May 04, 2017 2:11 pm

sintzu wrote: No matter how old it is, no matter how many times we've experienced the story, weather it's through the manga, anime or games, we'll still always go back to it which is something the majority of the top 100 and even most anime will never be able to do.
Where does this made up fact come from?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:15 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
sintzu wrote: No matter how old it is, no matter how many times we've experienced the story, weather it's through the manga, anime or games, we'll still always go back to it which is something the majority of the top 100 and even most anime will never be able to do.
He's got a point. Out of those 100, there's small amount of em that I hear and see people going back to the same way I see people all over the world doing with Dragon Ball. A certain amount of em rarely even achieve the same worldwide popularity that it has and continue that reign for over 20 years. A lot of countries aren't even aware of a lot of the stuff on that list.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:23 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
He's got a point. Out of those 100, there's small amount of em that I hear and see people going back to the same way I see people all over the world doing with Dragon Ball. A certain amount of em rarely even achieve the same worldwide popularity that it has and continue that reign for over 20 years. A lot of countries aren't even aware of a lot of the stuff on that list.
Popularity doesn't equal quality. This is a "best" list, not "most popular," "most influential," or "most liked."
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Popularity doesn't equal quality. This is a "best" list, not "most popular," "most influential," or "most liked."
Of course not. I ain't saying it does. And I know what kinda list this is.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 04, 2017 4:12 pm

Don't see what the big deal is. Dragon Ball Z, as much fun as it is and as popular as it is, is a deeply flawed animated show in several areas. Hell, if I were to compile my own top 100 list of favourite animated TV shows, I don't think any Dragon Ball anime would make the cut.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Thu May 04, 2017 4:29 pm

Considering how much anime there is I think the ranking that Dragonball and Z has gotten is pretty damn good.

Also, Baccano! is my jam and I am super happy to see its up there. Especially a little above Dragonball Z
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu May 04, 2017 4:48 pm

I guess this kinda proves that Dragonball really isn't as popular as we think it is. It's an iconic manga/anime that pioneered the shonen genre in the 80's and early 90's, but beyond that it's just a "kids show."

You go to other anime forums where people are hardcore anime fans, anyone who brings up Dragonball is usually openly mocked and laughed at. And you get told, "Why don't you watch some real anime?" or "Dragonball is for kids, I stopped watching it when I was a teenager." etc.