Your opinion on skipping/not watching Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Your opinion on skipping/not watching Dragon Ball

Post by Bajosexto » Tue May 09, 2017 7:15 am

In the short time I've been on reddit, I've seen more than a few threads where newbies ask whether they should watch DB, if it's okay to skip DB, etc. Personally, I don't understand why someone would skip half of the story. It would be like starting with Naruto Shippuden. But we're all able to watch a show however we want. So if they want to skip/not watch Dragon Ball then I don't "force" them to. Though I feel that a true fan of the franchise would enjoy Dragon Ball. And a newcomer who isn't a fan would also enjoy it. So why skip it? I think there's this idea that Dbz is so much better than DB. And because of that newcomers want to skip the boring, kid Goku adventures, and go straight into the hardcore action pack Dbz.

What are your thoughts? Is it okay to skip DB? Should you watch DB?
Last edited by Bajosexto on Tue May 09, 2017 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Your opinion on skipping/not watching Dragon Ball

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue May 09, 2017 7:58 am

Even though I, like most other people in the west started with Z watching Dragon Ball first is the way to go. Yes, you do get a sense of who these characters are by watching Z but your missing a lot of their prior development.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue May 09, 2017 8:00 am

DB isn't a separate story, it's the main story, the beginning of it, so yes, watching it is as essential as watching any other show from the beginning.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue May 09, 2017 8:01 am

I'm not going to force people. If they think skipping half the story is fun and all, well their loss. I think Kai has contributed to this as well. Another reason to hate Kai. :lol:

As for is it worth watching? Yes. It's the more consistent product as far as I'm concerned. Toriyama is best when he does silly stuff and early half of DB is a lot of fun. It does change tone later, but it is more silly compared to the later portions of the series. That is a huge plus.

Nishio and Okazaki created a overall fine anime adaptation. The acting by the original cast is outstanding and Kikuchi Shunsuke's musical score is well perfect.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 09, 2017 10:08 am

You'll of course get a better understanding of Z by watching it but it is a bit outdated in comparison and there's a major shift between them unlike Naruto and Shippuden so I understand why someone wouldn't want to. Also the Saiyan arc is a good starting point cause it's not continuing any major plot line and everything important is explined for the viewer.

If starting with Z is what will make a fan out of someone then that's the way to go.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue May 09, 2017 10:26 am

Really dumb in my mind. It's like skipping A New Hope and starting with the Empire Strikes Back. Yeah you can do it, but why would you ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue May 09, 2017 10:32 am

Like most fans in the west, I started with Z. Although I personally I think someone should start with Dragonball, it brings a nice spark of magic and wonder that Z sometimes lacks.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue May 09, 2017 11:17 am

I started with DB when I saw it, and I'm glad I did. I can't imagine not watching it. Skipping it makes about as much sense as just starting at the Buu arc when watching Kai. I wouldn't say there is a major shift, it was more of a gradual change.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Tue May 09, 2017 12:01 pm

Having read the Dragon Ball portion of the manga, I can honestly say that no matter where you start in the series, it shouldn't be missed. I personally am no fan of Bulma's body being shown off and used in the way that it is, but it's part of the series and like it or not, it is what it is.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue May 09, 2017 12:37 pm

cheddarsword wrote:Having read the Dragon Ball portion of the manga, I can honestly say that no matter where you start in the series, it shouldn't be missed. I personally am no fan of Bulma's body being shown off and used in the way that it is, but it's part of the series and like it or not, it is what it is.
Exactly. I get watching Z first. I don't agree with it, but whatever, but flat out not watching a third of the series, is just dumb and I can't really justify it.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Tue May 09, 2017 12:58 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
cheddarsword wrote:Having read the Dragon Ball portion of the manga, I can honestly say that no matter where you start in the series, it shouldn't be missed. I personally am no fan of Bulma's body being shown off and used in the way that it is, but it's part of the series and like it or not, it is what it is.
Exactly. I get watching Z first. I don't agree with it, but whatever, but flat out not watching a third of the series, is just dumb and I can't really justify it.
It's actually good too. Especially if you want a bit of a change up from the whole "GOTTA POWER!" theme that took over starting in the Demon King Piccolo arc.

The comedy is also better too.

Bulma grabs Blue:

Blue: Get off me!

Bulma: That's right, he's gay! Well, I may look like a woman but I'm actually a guy!

Blue: NO MAN HAS BOOBS THAT BIG!

Still cracks me up!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue May 09, 2017 1:27 pm

I just tell everyone to start with the Boo arc.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue May 09, 2017 1:39 pm

Skipping Dragonball is the dumbest thing anyone can do, especially if these same people watch Super or GT.

Dragonball is one of the best portions of the series.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue May 09, 2017 3:14 pm

Hell, I wish I started with Dragonball. Starting with Z didn't exactly keep me lost, but it was a while before realized I was missing some information. Like, what the hell was the red ribbon army and why are they building androids to kill Goku?

But even you don't start with it for whatever reason, it should by no means be skipped. It has so many great moments and a lot of people would argue it's the best part of the franchise, for good reason.

One of my friends refuses to watch the original dragonball because, in his own words, "I don't need to watch the prequel if I already know what happens." I spent a good bit of time trying to explain why it's not just a prequel story. Oh well.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 09, 2017 3:36 pm

Boo Machine wrote:One of my friends refuses to watch the original dragonball because, in his own words, "I don't need to watch the prequel if I already know what happens." I spent a good bit of time trying to explain why it's not just a prequel story. Oh well.
You can blame the companies behind the franchise for that mindset. For the longest time they've treated it as an unimportant prequel. I'm not against anyone starting with Z but anyone who likes the franchise should watch DB at least once.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue May 09, 2017 4:13 pm

It's kinda hard to watch, the animation is very dated. It was definitely one of the best anime during its era, a remaster should've already been done.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue May 09, 2017 4:44 pm

I watched original Dragon Ball first, and beside backstory of earthlings, you will also miss one of biggest WTF in Dragon Ball history, when Piccolo Daimao killed Shenron, for couple epiosde i really thought it was over, Kami wasnt introduced until few episodes later.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Tue May 09, 2017 4:44 pm

As someone who started at the very beginning of the manga, I don't understand how anyone could enjoy Dragon Ball Z without seeing Dragon Ball before it (unless they're just in it for the action). In my opinion, its importance to the story is brutally understated.

Hell, outside of the US, there is no "Z" in the manga. Starting with "Z" would literally be starting at Volume 17, do I need to say any more?
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue May 09, 2017 4:58 pm

You don't start reading a book by the middle. It will be just a half-assed experience.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue May 09, 2017 5:11 pm

My only regret as a fan was not experiencing the big Saiyan twist, after watching DB I came to the realisation at how important that twist was and can only imagine how crazy fans must have gone when it happened back then. So yeah I would say skipping DB is pretty big and misses a lot of development and care for the characters, like way before I used to jump on the bandwagon of mocking the likes of Krillin and Yamcha, now I do not at all. The Super Saiyan transformation on Namek is made even more powerful when one has watched/read OG DB, and like the Saiyan twist this is something that is also regrettable.