Your feeling on Neo Toonami (The Revival) on Adult Swim

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Your feeling on Neo Toonami (The Revival) on Adult Swim

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:00 pm

How do you feel about it? Do you like it? Do you watch it? Do you like Dragon Ball being there? Or do you want it to air somewhere else?

I love it and I love the ratings it gives to anime. No other place has had the same success with anime
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dreddgxdkira

Re: Your feeling on Neo Toonami (The Revival) on Adult Swim

Post by Dreddgxdkira » Thu May 25, 2017 11:14 pm

I like it a lot better than old Toonami tbh

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:17 pm

Yay! The first post! THANK YOU FOR POSTING!

Why do you feel that way? You like the new shows better? You like that its uncut and so on?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Thu May 25, 2017 11:28 pm

I kinda wish that toonami and I guess by extension, Super was on a time slot for younger audiences, but that could just be coming from a place of nostalgia. And it's probably for the best since action cartoons and anime don't get treated very well on T.V anymore with a couple of exceptions. At least from what I've seen. At least being on an adult swim, it has a wider range of what shows can be on there.

So even though I can't watch it myself, since I don't have cable, I'm pretty happy Toonami is back, and that Dragonball is on it. Seems to be doing well for itself, which is funny, because I remember the first couple of months Toonami came back, I read a bunch of posts of people who swore up and down that it would fail and be cancelled in no time.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu May 25, 2017 11:36 pm

Considering that Dragon Ball probably couldn't air without it, possibly meaning no new home releases, I'm happy it exists. I don't often watch it though, and I don't care about it at all otherwise.
Retired.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:37 pm

I like it a lot. It's how I first got into Toonami. And while it is good now, I will admit, I wish we had Inuyasha and Tenchi Muyo GXP back like we did for awhile after it started back up. FMA Brotherhood too. And we should've actually finished the original Naruto instead rerunning the freaking Chunin exams for the eleventeenth time. In general, I mostly like those shows a bunch more compared to some of the ones we got now. A lot of people like the block we got though, so I'm happy for them.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:45 pm

I haven't much of it since they play anime that not much interest in. I end up surprisingly enjoy Kill la Kill and Akame Ga Kill was a enjoyable action show. Michiko & Hatchin is great and I had no idea what it was until I saw on Toonami. Very happy that I watch it when it was airing on Toonami a couple years ago. I do like that they also air Akira and Parasyte as well. As for Dragon Ball, I don't care for the dub of Super at the moment since I don't feel like sitting through the re-tellings of BOG and ROF.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:21 am

I like it, only watch Dragon Ball though. I would watch the other shows if Toonami was on earlier, like instead of being from 10:00-2:30 CST, it should be on from say... 7:00-11:30! Same amount of time, but moved earlier to the beginning of the AS block! And more kids can discover the wonders of anime!

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:48 pm

I hope Toonami comes to Latin America, but seeing as Turner is actually getting rid of Dragon Ball that probably wont happen.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:10 am

Love it.

In fact, it's way better than the old Toonami after 2003 especially when it was pushed to Saturday nights.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:23 am

I'm not familiar with the other shows, but its much better than the 1999-2003 Toonami when it comes to Dragon Ball because, unlike back then now we're getting uncut, accurate and well acted dubs.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:17 am

I love it, Toonami actually has good lineups instead of putting shows on an endless cycle. (When they do it these days they'll eventually replace it within a week).

Grand Elder Togu

Post by Grand Elder Togu » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:56 pm

I was pretty ambivalent about Toonami's revival in the beginning. Nostalgia aside, there isn't anything about the format that appeals to me; dubbed anime, very late at night, that I had likely already seen(or had no desire to see). So I don't watch it unless there's something brand new on the line-up like Space Dandy, or more recently Samurai Jack. When they aired One Punch Man my uncle, who's nearly 60 years old, fell in love with it and we'd talk about it every time I saw him. So Toonami's alright by me. I expect more friends and relatives to be consumed by anime soon now that DB is back on the line-up.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:03 pm

I feel like the original Toonami was overrated to begin with. Sure they had some good anime, but people act like it was the best thing ever. People act like Toonami started the anime fandom in the US despite the fact that anime was already big before 1997/1998. Any video store that sold VHS tapes had anime and you could find anime on Sci-Fi or even HBO before 1998-1999. It seems like most people who watch Toonami had no idea about anything else that was not on CN. The anime that was being release on home video when Toonami was airing was not aim to them. I feel like around 2004 was when the CN/Pokemon anime fandom generation took over the past generation.

I personally like the anime block on Adult Swim, G4's Anime Unleashed, Starz and both Sci-Fi anime blocks better than Toonami. I give the new Toonami credit for airing Seinen like Parasyte and old classic anime movies like Akira. Having Jojo on Toonami is really cool too.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:08 pm

Grand Elder Togu wrote:I was pretty ambivalent about Toonami's revival in the beginning. Nostalgia aside, there isn't anything about the format that appeals to me; dubbed anime, very late at night, that I had likely already seen(or had no desire to see). So I don't watch it unless there's something brand new on the line-up like Space Dandy, or more recently Samurai Jack. When they aired One Punch Man my uncle, who's nearly 60 years old, fell in love with it and we'd talk about it every time I saw him. So Toonami's alright by me. I expect more friends and relatives to be consumed by anime soon now that DB is back on the line-up.

Awwwwwwwwww that's so sweet. I hope Toonami introduces even more people like that both young and old.

Quantum-Kakarrotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Quantum-Kakarrotto » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:38 pm

I grew up with Toonami, from the days of Moltar (R.I.P.), and Tom 1, to the great years of Tom 2, and Tom 3, to the end with Tom 4. Seeing Toonami come back (with Tom 3.5 and now Tom 5) was like finding a long-lost family member you thought you'd never see again (Only this time, more mature). I've been watching the new Toonami since it came back in 2012 and I have been enjoying it. Having Dragon Ball Super, the Final Chapters, Gundam Unicorn, and the other anime shows puts a large smile on my face and I haven't missed a broadcast since its return.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:31 pm

I had to Google which one Tom 4 was... Geez. That was just horrible.

I haven't really watched the new Toonami, though if it has the same feel as the old one (before Tom 4), then I'm glad. Adult Swim is a strange place for Toonami, though, as Adult Swim is already a sub-section of Cartoon Network. It's like having a subsection in a subsection. But hey, whatever. Adult Swim reminded me a lot of Toonami, where it just felt totally different from anything else on TV. Toonami always felt more adult from the dramatic music to the host (Tom) just straight up talking to you about stuff. Then, Adult Swim captured a different look and feel where it was almost like "Do they know that someone is airing this?" I'm not saying that I ever legitimately thought that, but it came close to giving that feeling. So in a lot of ways, I think that Adult Swim mirrored Toonami. Plus, Adult Swim started showing anime, which I think Toonami really started. While Sailor Moon, Pokemon, etc. aired in other places, I think that Toonami made it a point to start snagging animes and they really had a solid anime block. So I think that it's a natural fit, just weird that Toonami exists within Adult Swim.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:09 pm

I think it's great that they're at least a place over here for anime to be on TV (even if, yes, CR & such are far cheaper alternatives for Japan), & I really appreciate how they've done Space Dandy, FLCL2, Big O S2, & far more in terms of just what they've introduced to wide audiences. I personally do not have cable (yet!), but I do follow a lot of people that watch Toonami, because it's obviously an influencer on sales outside of just Japan (which, while JP is the home market, is a kind of small country & could benefit from more outreach).

I'm eager for JJBA Stardust Crusaders to air, because I hear the dub is being taken very seriously, & I also wish I could tune into the HxH dub; also really impressive they're doing basicly a simuldub of AoT S2. I wish I could compliment them on DB, but the back-to-back Kai/Super is a terrible idea )& frankly while it's not their fault I'm not happy with Toei/FUNi's handling of the dub, as it's a big compromise even today).
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Considering that Dragon Ball probably couldn't air without it, possibly meaning no new home releases, I'm happy it exists. I don't often watch it though, and I don't care about it at all otherwise.
Uh...if that were the case, then 99% of anime wouldn't be localized. Non-Japanese TV only has so much space for anime, & yet there's still hundreds of anime being localized (although yes the sales aren't usually as good as televised ones).

Anyway, Toonami & Adult Swim collectively have done a reasonable amount of good for anime (especially uncut releases) from airing wonderful dubs of GitS SAC, Eureka 7, Code Geass, Naruto, Bleach, that are done so far, far beyond the quality of how DBZ was presented, that it's kind of laughable to praise them for DBZ while simultaneously being "I dont really care about them because subs".

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:21 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:I think it's great that they're at least a place over here for anime to be on TV (even if, yes, CR & such are far cheaper alternatives for Japan), & I really appreciate how they've done Space Dandy, FLCL2, Big O S2, & far more in terms of just what they've introduced to wide audiences. I personally do not have cable (yet!), but I do follow a lot of people that watch Toonami, because it's obviously an influencer on sales outside of just Japan (which, while JP is the home market, is a kind of small country & could benefit from more outreach).

I'm eager for JJBA Stardust Crusaders to air, because I hear the dub is being taken very seriously, & I also wish I could tune into the HxH dub; also really impressive they're doing basicly a simuldub of AoT S2. I wish I could compliment them on DB, but the back-to-back Kai/Super is a terrible idea)& frankly while it's not their fault I'm not happy with Toei/FUNi's handling of the dub, as it's a big compromise even today).
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Considering that Dragon Ball probably couldn't air without it, possibly meaning no new home releases, I'm happy it exists. I don't often watch it though, and I don't care about it at all otherwise.
Uh...if that were the case, then 99% of anime wouldn't be localized. Non-Japanese TV only has so much space for anime, & yet there's still hundreds of anime being localized (although yes the sales aren't usually as good as televised ones).

Anyway, Toonami & Adult Swim collectively have done a reasonable amount of good for anime (especially uncut releases) from airing wonderful dubs of GitS SAC, Eureka 7, Code Geass, Naruto, Bleach, that are done so far, far beyond the quality of how DBZ was presented, that it's kind of laughable to praise them for DBZ while simultaneously being "I dont really care about them because subs".
Why is it a terrible idea to air Kai and Super back-to-back?
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:24 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Uh...if that were the case, then 99% of anime wouldn't be localized. Non-Japanese TV only has so much space for anime, & yet there's still hundreds of anime being localized
As far as we're aware, the reason Boo Kai was held back for so long was due to the fact that it hadn't aired on TV yet. It's reasonable to assume that was a demand Toei made, and I guarantee that Super is being localized under similar arrangements. I'm not talking about every other anime ever, and on a more personal note, I'm not a fan of you consistently taking me out of context on this forum. If you feel it necessary to act that way, please leave me out of it. Thanks.
Retired.