Dragon Ball School Rumors?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Dragon Ball School Rumors?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:10 pm

For the people that watch Dragon Ball when they were kids, did you guys had any rumors that would go around at your school? Like some kid at the playground would tell stuff about the series that is not true. So I remember during the end of the 90's and the early 2000's, one or two kids that I knew that did watch the show in Japanese on VHS fan subs. So they would go around telling other kids that Dragon Ball Z in Japan is so dark and gritty with gore and extreme swearing.

They would tell lies about GT and that GT would air on HBO, not CN because GT is a darker and more violent sequel to DBZ. GT would have sex scenes, nudity and more gore than DBZ. I also remember hearing at my school that Gohan would also have a son and his son dies from the villains that escape out of Hell in GT.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball School Rumors?

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat May 27, 2017 10:19 pm

I didn't grow up in the era where DB ruled supreme, but my older brothers did watch the reruns and their friends often talked about it, and I do remember some of that. The main rumor I remember was King Cold being stronger than he actually was. Also, there was something crazy one of my brothers told me about SS4 when I unlocked him on the first Sparking game, but it's too blurry for me to remember.
Retired.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sat May 27, 2017 10:36 pm

It's funny. I actually grew up around the opposite. There were quite a few kids in my elementary who were watching it in Japanese, where here in the US I don't even think we were past Namek yet. They would say stuff like " OOOHHH man, there is going to be a SSJ 3! Some dude named Vegito, he appears when Goku and Vegeta are put together! There is this magic Pink creature named buu who turns chi chi into an egg and kills her. And there is another show named GT where Goku becomes a kid again" to which I would just scoff and call them lairs because I thought that sounded dumb.

So really I grew up with kids telling the truth and spreading accurate information and I just didn't believe it. Imagine my surprise some years later.

In fact I was the one who spread false information. I swore up and down that GT kid Goku was Goten taking the role of main character after his brother. Those kids looked at me like I was crazy.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun May 28, 2017 1:22 am

I knew a kid in 2000 or so who claimed to have fansub tapes, and he did know some things about the Buu arc before it aired in the US. Though, he tried to convince me that SS5 was in GT, and that Freeza returns, kills Vegeta again, and this time Vegeta reveals that he was Goku's other brother all along, and this is what triggers Goku to turn SS5.
:lol:

Even as a kid, I didn't buy that.

Of course, there were also "rumors" kids told me that ended up being true, but I didn't believe, though nothing like that pertaining to Dragon Ball really. Even though I was a kid who never questioned things that I enjoyed (like the dub of Dragon Ball Z or bad games I liked as a kid), I almost never fell for rumors, even back then. :mrgreen:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 28, 2017 1:46 pm

I also remember seeing a picture of Vegeta Jr. at first before I knew anything about the series and a kid told me that Vegeta turns into a little kid as well. There was the rumor of a sex scene of Trunks and Pan in GT too :lol: .
She/Her

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun May 28, 2017 1:47 pm

I feel super left out of this, :D because my generation was super young when Dragon Ball aired and I don't remember anybody talking about it at school. I remember kids talking about stuff like Total Drama Island and Bakugan, but no DBZ.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun May 28, 2017 4:48 pm

AF was the biggest thing going on at the time. I honestly think it would still be a thing if Super didn't air.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun May 28, 2017 5:17 pm

I don't remember any rumors, but I have a few school-related memories involving DB.

I remember one kid wore a shirt with a picture of SSJ Goku and Freeza on it.

In art class one person once drew a picture of Kirby having absorbed Cell, and another person once drew a picture of Piccolo

One person was once playing a 2d fighting game at school where they were playing as C18

Another time there was a kid over at my house for a play date, and we were in the family room watching TV, and we watched DBZ for a bit (it was one of the episodes in the leadup to the Cell games, where Cell destroyed the army that attacked him, and Bulma was working on fixing 16).

That's pretty much it as far as I can remember...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:44 pm

There was pretty wicked T-Shirt that a kid wore at school that had Goku on the back and had the faces of Captain Ginyu, Freeza, Cell, Majin Buu, Kid Buu, and Janemba lined up and overlapping each other on the top (I'm can't remember if it had Raditz, Nappa, and Vegeta on it, though).
The image of Dr. Gero's face from the DBZ Intro is what all the villains looked like:
This was around 2000-2001 and I heard a rumor that Janemba was Freeza's son seeking revenge after asking who Janemba was after seeing him on the shirt.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:33 am

I remember I was told that Janemba was the villain that lock up Elder Kaioshin in the Z Sword.
She/Her

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Mon May 29, 2017 12:52 am

I remember telling eveyone that SS3 was the real SSJ 1 and SSJ 1 and 2 was a false Super saiyan, because I read it in some magazine. Also that Piccolo wore boxers. No one believed me though. So that's a plus.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon May 29, 2017 1:16 am

Boo Machine wrote:I remember telling eveyone that SS3 was the real SSJ 1 and SSJ 1 and 2 was a false Super saiyan
Hey, I heard that rumour!
I did entertain the idea for a while but never believed it..

I do remember one more rumour about there being a some kind of dictionary which provides all the info on every character ever, and future episodes..

Besides that, I can't remember anything else..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon May 29, 2017 1:35 am

I distinctly remember one about this guy named "Broly" who was Goku's long lost brother.

Also can't forget that Super Saiyan 7 supposedly made the saiyan become covered in metal. Digimon was also popular back then, so I totally get where the kid that started that rumor was coming from.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Mon May 29, 2017 6:15 am

Oh man does this stuff take me back.

There were a lot of rumors floating around from ads in the back of EGM and import toys that showed up in the local drug store (I had a SSJ Trunks figure, in armor, before Trunks' first episode had even aired). Broly and Majin Boo were big objects of speculation. Broly because he was a villainous Super Saiyan (remember this is at a time where Venom - the villainous Spider-Man - was the shiznit) and Majin Boo because we knew he was a future villain but we didn't know anything about him. Everything related to Boo felt so distinct and strange, not to mention all of the SSJ3 business.

There was also a lot of speculation about what went on prior to the series. One popular "rumor" is that in the original Dragon Ball Master Roshi was the strongest character. We couldn't believe it. Flashbacks that appeared in the Artificial Humans arc that showed the backstory to the Red Ribbon army and the history of the tournaments fueled even more speculation. I distinctly remember being bewildered by Tien having four arms, and to this day that's my favorite thing Tenshinhan has ever done. We all wondered about what mysterious things went on prior to DBZ, which made it so satisfying when DB finally aired and all of the mysteries were revealed.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Mon May 29, 2017 2:46 pm

Yeah AF was the big rumour when I was at school. Chi-Chi leaving Goku for Piccolo (lol), etc...
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Mon May 29, 2017 3:11 pm

One that I heard a lot from my friends was that Hatchiyak was Cell's Brother :lol:

Bootlegs were pretty common in Colombia back pre-2010. I got a cheap DVD that had some obviously fake fanart and said Dragon Ball AF. I think all it had was an AMV of Goku Jr, a slideshow of fanart of shit like Super Saiyan 8 with Blue hair and stuff and I think it also had PGV's Budokai AF mod trailer :lol: Then at the bottom of the menu there was "DBAF Episode 1" and it was the old Plan To Eradicate The Saiyans special with weird spanish subs.
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon May 29, 2017 3:22 pm

Early Toonami meant early Internet, so anytime I would look things up on the early web, was when rumors were run wild. Like Bardock would meet Goku or Krillin somehow could be a super saiyan despite being human.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon May 29, 2017 3:35 pm

TheZFighter wrote:Yeah AF was the big rumour when I was at school. Chi-Chi leaving Goku for Piccolo (lol), etc...
How long ago are we talking here?
I am curious if ChiChi piccolo thing existed in the 90s as well
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Tue May 30, 2017 7:37 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
TheZFighter wrote:Yeah AF was the big rumour when I was at school. Chi-Chi leaving Goku for Piccolo (lol), etc...
How long ago are we talking here?
I am curious if ChiChi piccolo thing existed in the 90s as well
Well this would've been in the late 90s/ early 00s and I still knew about it.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Tue May 30, 2017 8:50 am

I remember being some old java chatroom in 1999 and some guy on there was trying to tell me there was a new Dragon Ball YX series where Goku dies of old age and Vegeta becomes the main character. The bad guys were Freeza's extended family.