DBZ Movie 13 English Dub Dissection! (Updated with new clip)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:36 pm

Ugg, the way they pronounce Tapion is so horrible. Tapion sounds like Orlando Bloom on steroids. Wow, its like Funi isnt even trying with DBZ anymore.

Kay
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kay » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:58 pm

How do FUNi pronnounce it? "TAY-pion"?

Oh, and no offense Goshin but you should type in proper grammar and stuff. :)

Nekoni
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nekoni » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:14 am

Ugg, the way they pronounce Tapion is so horrible. Tapion sounds like Orlando Bloom on steroids. Wow, its like Funi isnt even trying with DBZ anymore.
I believe it was tape-eon myself.

Oy, don't insult Orlando Bloom XD he's got an english accent and smoother voice- infact, if they did use the guy it'd suit Tapion more. (In japanese he sounds gentle, sad, and young)

Oh but alas, suitable voices would be against the FUNi dub tradition of rough-voiced-characters-in-need-of-cough-drops.

Well, it seems a lot has gone wrong with this dub, and most of us haven't even seen it yet. 'Way to build the hype' isn't it?

I also have a friend who attended that convention, bought the disk, squeled she was gonna' watch it and then...

...never mentioned it again. *eerie*

A lot could be learnt from other countries when it comes to dubbing. (especially Italy; they got a male voiced Goku that made the same sounds as the japanese Goku. WOW)
http://nekoni.deviantart.com Your friendly neighbourhood artist.

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:42 pm

Well, you see, unlike every other country on the planet, Americans are completely unable to process any ideas that aren't entirely native to their own country. Without Funimation replacing the music and using the same three voice actors for every villain, Americans would've been bothered by Dragonball to the point of possibly rioting in the street! Anything that is not altered to appear inherently American would be instantly rejected!

List of possible exceptions to this rule:

- Chinese Food
- Japanese Food
- Italian Food
- Mexican Food
- instant ramen
- anything from the U.K. or Australia
- most any form of published work, provided it's tanslated into English
- video games
- most other anime
- technology
- Dragonball
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

Nekoni
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nekoni » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:12 pm

You know, maybe I'm a weird brit, but I took ages to find out what 'ramen noodles' were... (seems they're primarily an american name) we generaly call them 'instant noodles' and they're part of my staple diet.

I'd say I was lookin' forward to the DVD quality; but it's been out for years here in France ^^; so instead, I look forward to disecting the dubbage (just as I did for movie 12, which resulted in a 2 page word document)

I'm really sad about the movie's name =( t'is not the wrath of the dragon, if anything t'is the wrath of hildergan.
http://nekoni.deviantart.com Your friendly neighbourhood artist.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:21 pm

I just hope I'm able to find it. With Suncoast gone my only hope is FYE or that Borders up past Quakerbridge Mall. FYE is not nearly as reliable as Suncoast, and while that Borders may be, its quite a pain to have to drive out there on the highway.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:14 pm

Yeah, FYE isn't exactly very reliable. What with some DVDs being repackaged and charging both retail price and more expensive prices, I never go to them for my DVDs anymore. :(
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:23 am

Dear oh dear oh dear.

What a way to make a cool movie character... look uncool. :?

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:33 am

When is Funimation going to learn that Trailers and Character Profiles dont count as extras?

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:19 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:When is Funimation going to learn that Trailers and Character Profiles dont count as extras?
Character profiles kinda do. Trailers shouldn't, though.

To quote the main menu on the Harold & Kumar DVD "I hope this isn't one of those DVDs where you click on the special features and the only thing that comes up is fuckin' previews."

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:26 pm

Why would one want to read about the chatacters that are appearing in the movie you are about to watch...?

Omega_57
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Omega_57 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:06 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Why would one want to read about the chatacters that are appearing in the movie you are about to watch...?
I dunno, maybe for the new watchers among us?
[i]More Dragons, More Balls, More Z's![/i] - Gamespot

Majin Cell
Not-So-Newbie
Location: I don't know where this place is but it sure is wierd.

Post by Majin Cell » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:19 pm

I've never expected much from Funimation, when it comes to extras for the DragonBall DVDs. I wish they would include more extras on the discs too but if they haven't done it by now then they're just not going to do it at all. Now, don't get me wrong, I really like the DragonBall DVDs, its just that they could've used better extras. Oh well.
It is impossible to improve upon perfection.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:08 pm

Omega_57 wrote:
Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Why would one want to read about the chatacters that are appearing in the movie you are about to watch...?
I dunno, maybe for the new watchers among us?
I wouldn't suggest the a person new to the series start with the last movie, let alone any of the movies, but whatever.

BoxerGloves
Beyond Newbie

Post by BoxerGloves » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:20 pm

The absence of extras on FUNi DVD discs may be Toei's fault too, you know. After all, of everything worthy of being called an "extra feature" that was on Dragon Boxes, none of those things were on FUNi discs. Maybe it's Toei's policy to not to provide the overseas licensors with that type of material.
In fact, take look at other shows that were produced by Toei, and were licensed and released on DVDs here in U.S, such as One Piece, Digimon, Zatch Bell, Knights of the Zodiac, and many others. Do you see any extras there too? Of course not.

Majin Cell
Not-So-Newbie
Location: I don't know where this place is but it sure is wierd.

Post by Majin Cell » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:30 pm

BoxerGloves wrote:The absence of extras on FUNi DVD discs may be Toei's fault too, you know. After all, of everything worthy of being called an "extra feature" that was on Dragon Boxes, none of those things were on FUNi discs. Maybe it's Toei's policy to not to provide the overseas licensors with that type of material.
In fact, take look at other shows that were produced by Toei, and were licensed and released on DVDs here in U.S, such as One Piece, Digimon, Zatch Bell, Knights of the Zodiac, and many others. Do you see any extras there too? Of course not.
That's a good point, I forgot about Toei. Well, whoevers to blame, it would of nice if the DVDs had better extras.
It is impossible to improve upon perfection.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:59 am

BoxerGloves wrote: In fact, take look at other shows that were produced by Toei, and were licensed and released on DVDs here in U.S, such as One Piece, Digimon, Zatch Bell, Knights of the Zodiac, and many others. Do you see any extras there too? Of course not.
Let's not forget the ass-quality masters for Sailor Moon that they shoved down ADV's throats! :?
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:35 am

theoriginalbilis wrote: Let's not forget the ass-quality masters for Sailor Moon that they shoved down ADV's throats! :?
Lets not forget though, that ADV's license of those was from Dic and not Toei, hence why the sets went out of print- dic were not able/didn't want to renew, and as it was sublicensed, it had to go.

Theres just as much possibility that the masters Dic received would've not been to good to begin with, and maybe they didnt take care of them, which is what ADV got in turn. Remeber that another Toei->dic->ADV series, Saint Seiya, used (what was close to, from what I can remember) R2 masters.

I'm not fond of Toei, but it's pretty obvious in this situation, ADV and Dic were probably stuck in an awkward situation.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:22 am

Its a different song every time he plays. Somtimes you can't even hear it.
Good God....I would understand a different tune, but it changes?!

And Tapion's voice sounds.....just wrong. Not that it's horrible, it just sounds out of place. I always did like the trailer Tapion.
When is Funimation going to learn that Trailers and Character Profiles dont count as extras?
Same time those other dubbing companies (save Manga Entertainment) learn the same, sad story ='(

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:02 pm

Meh... I dunno, it's not that terrible. However, Tapion and Hoi sound too much alike. I like Tapion's Japanese voice better, but that just might be because I saw movie 13 in Japanese first, at least half a dozen times.

Yeah, the way Trunks is all, "I wanna be just like him!" Uh, wow. Is that even in character how open he is about that? I mean, for Funimation's Chibi Trunks? Meh... The lines just don't sound right. Weird. (Laura Bailey's awesome, though. :D)
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]