Turner expands Toonami to Africa!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Turner expands Toonami to Africa!

Post by wjbraden » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:29 am

Danfun64 wrote:If Toonami Africa's airing of the Funi dub is edited, it should be capped.
I second this. I sincerely doubt that they are airing the show uncut like on Adult Swim, since it seems that this version of the channel is skewing towards younger demographics. I'm curious to see if Funimation has been doing a "Hercule" and "HFIL" version for Super like the Bang Zoom dub is apparently doing (apparently Chris Sabat said they were considering doing double takes for Super at one point on social media, but I can't find it).
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:50 am

wjbraden wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:If Toonami Africa's airing of the Funi dub is edited, it should be capped.
I second this. I sincerely doubt that they are airing the show uncut like on Adult Swim, since it seems that this version of the channel is skewing towards younger demographics. I'm curious to see if Funimation has been doing a "Hercule" and "HFIL" version for Super like the Bang Zoom dub is apparently doing (apparently Chris Sabat said they were considering doing double takes for Super at one point on social media, but I can't find it).
They actually apparently recorded an edited dub of Super but hoped it would never be used.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:36 pm

wjbraden wrote: I'm curious to see if Funimation has been doing a "Hercule" and "HFIL" version for Super like the Bang Zoom dub is apparently doing
Bang Zoom consistently uses "Hercule" as the guy's name, but they keep things like "Satan City" and "Satan Punch". Bang Zoom also seems to consistently use "Hell". Not to mention that the Bang Zoom dub has minor moments of profanity in it.
wjbraden wrote:(apparently Chris Sabat said they were considering doing double takes for Super at one point on social media, but I can't find it).
...I'm having problems finding Chris Sabat doing double takes as well...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:15 pm

Dont worry minna-san! As long as Nick, CN and Disney and their PESKY HOMOSEXUAL CHARACTERS are in charge, they will go for Dragon Ball Super instead!

Disclaimer:I'm gay, I can joke about this...I THINK.

But seriously, to Africa there's more bad stuff in Steven Universe,The Loud House and Andi Mack than in Super.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:22 am

wjbraden wrote:
I have to third this. It would be fun to compare to the uncut stuff and it would be nice to have on hand for when I'm babysitting.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:25 pm

As it turns out, they may actually be airing the uncut dub, going off of this promo: (I'm pretty sure Beerus says "damn" about a minute in) https://www.facebook.com/ToonamiAfrica/ ... =2&theater
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:30 pm

But do they say Mr Satan and so on?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:44 pm

I'm not sure about that, but if it's uncut, I'd wager they wouldn't change the names.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:52 am

So, um, I kinda stumbled upon the Toonami Africa version of Episode 1 of Super. They apparently premiered it as a part of a livestream on their Facebook page! You have to skip past an hour or so of weird voting game stuff, but towards the end the episode is definitely there. It's weird that none of us caught this since this was THREE MONTHS AGO. I'm even more surprise that this livestream archive is still up.

The biggest part of this find is that this is, in fact, an edited dub! While it seems there are no visual edits ("Satan" on the Satan City sign and on Mr. Satan's car remain unchanged), Mr. Satan's name is changed to Hercule in the spoken dialogue and some of the humor that may be deemed inappropriate has been toned down. The examples I caught were Mr. Satan's line about powdering his nose and going pee has been altered to only mention the powdering nose part, "toilet water" is called "smelling water" and Videl refers to it as "face wash," the hot spring only makes your skin "silky smooth" rather than "as smooth as a baby's butt," and Roshi's line about buying dirty movies has been altered to just be about regular movies. The opening is the full Engrish Chozetsu Dynamic and the ending is the full English Hello, Hello, Hello. The eyecatches and the NEP are retained. The opening's visuals are a bit weird, though, being a mix of the Battle of Gods and Resurrection F arcs' visuals. But yeah - this is definitive proof of the existence of an edited Super dub! If any of you have access to Toonami Africa, I am sure that many people, myself included, would be grateful if you were to record any episodes of this broadcast that you can. They'll surely have these audio edits if not some visual edits for the more violent and dirty bits, giving us nerds plenty to fuss over!

My YouTube

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:18 pm

Wow, great find! I had assumed that they were airing it uncut because of the word "damn" being slipped in that one promo of theirs, but guess not. So with that, every series of Dragon Ball thus far has an edited version to go along with it (except maybe the Buu saga of Kai??)

I'll reiterate what OmegaRockman said, if anybody has this channel and the capability to capture these episodes, it would be greatly appreciated, because it appears this version of the DBS English dub is not airing anywhere else in the world.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Tue May 08, 2018 4:09 am

So Toonami Africa had posted a bunch of clips on their website (http://www.toonamiafrica.com/videos/champa-tournament) featuring the edited version of Super. I haven't had a chance to dig through ten all, but the banter between Vegeta and Jaco was toned down, with Vegeta no longer calling him a "jackass" or telling him "not to do any funny stuff" with Bulma. No digital edits as far as I can see.

This makes me wonder if Funimation recording an edited version for Buu saga of Kai. I'd wager they did, but who knows if that will ever see the light of day.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue May 08, 2018 4:11 pm

The lack of digital edits makes sense to me considering that Super hasn't had much to censor visually. Most of the worst stuff is language, pervy jokes, and scenes of people stabbing each other, each of which would be taken care of with hard cuts. Plus, Toonami Africa is probably a lower priority market for Funimation than a kids' network in the US. That would explain why they didn't do anything about Mr. Satan's name being plastered everywhere.

As for The Final Chapters, I'm pretty sure we can assume at this point that a dub exists. I'd wager that it would've even aired on Vortexx if the block hadn't died out. After all, they'd been sitting on the Boo Kai dub for a while before getting it on Toonami. My guess is they were banking on Vortexx being their TV deal, then the block suddenly died. They had nothing to air it on since Nicktoons had likely moved on by that point and Toonami was still in the middle of the Saiyan/Freeza stuff. So they had to bide their time until Toonami caught up. Then Super happened, making things really awkward. I think we Kai fans can thank our lucky stars that they decided to air both it and Super so we could finally get those Blu-rays.

My YouTube

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:47 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:That would explain why they didn't do anything about Mr. Satan's name being plastered everywhere.
Probably also helps that this time, they don't have Ocean already producing an edited video master that they can license, or an edited TV deal pretty much ready to go as a sure thing from the beginning, both of which they had for Kai 1.0, and presumably the latter of which they may very well have had for Final Chapters.
OmegaRockman wrote:As for The Final Chapters, I'm pretty sure we can assume at this point that a dub exists. I'd wager that it would've even aired on Vortexx if the block hadn't died out. After all, they'd been sitting on the Boo Kai dub for a while before getting it on Toonami. My guess is they were banking on Vortexx being their TV deal, then the block suddenly died. They had nothing to air it on since Nicktoons had likely moved on by that point and Toonami was still in the middle of the Saiyan/Freeza stuff. So they had to bide their time until Toonami caught up. Then Super happened, making things really awkward. I think we Kai fans can thank our lucky stars that they decided to air both it and Super so we could finally get those Blu-rays.
Yep, that tracks. I'd say you're most likely exactly right.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.