Turner expands Toonami to Africa!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Turner expands Toonami to Africa!

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:47 am

I REALLY want Toonami on Latin America and The UK. I would be sooooooo happy!

https://twitter.com/Turner/status/870275747734323202
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Turner expands Toonami to Africa!

Post by NitroEX » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:10 am

Nice, the Bang Zoom dub of Super should be set to air there.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:44 am

Turns out they're broadcasting the Funimation dub. A Turner Asia representative led me to believe it would be Bang Zoom in Africa as well but this isn't too surprising considering Africa previously aired the other Funi dub material.

https://www.facebook.com/ToonamiAfrica/ ... 037036208/

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:47 am

I'm not surprised the Funimation dub is being aired. Everything about the Bang Zoom dub seems to indicate it was made to fill the need for an English dub in territories needing one while Funimation's version was still in progress. Funi's dub is also ahead now, which could have played a part in winning Turner over in Africa. If Super still has a chance of a TV deal in the UK my smart money would be on Funi too.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:38 am

The more places it's successful in the more places it'll reach. With how big of a market the UK is I'm surprised it's not there yet. Maybe anime sales aren't that good ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:45 pm

sintzu wrote:The more places it's successful in the more places it'll reach. With how big of a market the UK is I'm surprised it's not there yet. Maybe anime sales aren't that good ?
It's available on home video here and has done pretty well.
But there's three reasons why the UK tv stations haven't picked it up.
a) It's foreign
b) It's has fighting (can't allow that to be shown to the kiddies)
c) The big one it's 20 mins so 30 mins with adverts.

In other words if it was 11 mins of comedy, stations would be queuing to pick it up.

It's finally entered the UK market now so I don't really care about TV now.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:20 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I'm not surprised the Funimation dub is being aired. Everything about the Bang Zoom dub seems to indicate it was made to fill the need for an English dub in territories needing one while Funimation's version was still in progress. Funi's dub is also ahead now, which could have played a part in winning Turner over in Africa. If Super still has a chance of a TV deal in the UK my smart money would be on Funi too.
Except Bang Zoom's dub was more or less never ahead of Funimation's. They essentially debuted at the same time. It would've been one thing had their dub premiered in the summer of 2016, like it was originally supposed to. Now, it seems like an entirely frivolous production. The earlier alternate dubs for the Canadian and European markets made far more sense.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:36 pm

My heart yearns for a Toonami channel, either on the USA or on Latin America...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:24 pm

If Toonami Africa's airing of the Funi dub is edited, it should be capped.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:31 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
sintzu wrote:The more places it's successful in the more places it'll reach. With how big of a market the UK is I'm surprised it's not there yet. Maybe anime sales aren't that good ?
It's available on home video here and has done pretty well.
a) It's foreign

In other words if it was 11 mins of comedy, stations would be queuing to pick it up.

I agree, now that Super is available in stores TV is less of a necessity, although it would be nice to see. I'm hoping if Toonami gets a revival here it could be a potential broadcaster for the Ocean dub of Kai, especially since that's the version Turner said they would use if they brought Dragon Ball back to the UK.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:22 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: It's available on home video here and has done pretty well.
a) It's foreign

Is it really that unusual to have a 30-minute time slot for a cartoon in the UK? I can understand that a 15-minute slot would provide the network with greater flexibility in their schedule, but as an American it feels really weird that this of all things would be a deal-breaker.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:31 pm

Theophrastus wrote:Is it really that unusual to have a 30-minute time slot for a cartoon in the UK? I can understand that a 15-minute slot would provide the network with greater flexibility in their schedule, but as an American it feels really weird that this of all things would be a deal-breaker.
I think it's kind of funny you mentioned that. The abuse of the episodic 11-minute comedy format is almost entirely a product of American children's television. Cartoon Network's US division hasn't produced a full half-hour series in years. Even Justice League Action uses that.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:32 pm

Theophrastus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: It's available on home video here and has done pretty well.
a) It's foreign

Is it really that unusual to have a 30-minute time slot for a cartoon in the UK? I can understand that a 15-minute slot would provide the network with greater flexibility in their schedule, but as an American it feels really weird that this of all things would be a deal-breaker.
Every time I flick over to CN they seem to be airing these 11 minutes shows, anything over that seems to be shoved to Boomerang like out of the new rebooted shows, only Scooby doo to my knowledge stayed at 20 mins and no surprise that it was Boomerang that was airing. Ben10 reboot I am pretty sure is 11 minutes now. Heck even the new Justice League show is 11 minutes but because it is more action orientated, CN air it on 7.30 am on a Saturday.... what a joke. Weekday fair enough as kids will be up for school but no kid is gonna get up at 7.30AM on a FREAKING SATURDAY!
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Theophrastus wrote:Is it really that unusual to have a 30-minute time slot for a cartoon in the UK? I can understand that a 15-minute slot would provide the network with greater flexibility in their schedule, but as an American it feels really weird that this of all things would be a deal-breaker.
I think it's kind of funny you mentioned that. The abuse of the episodic 11-minute comedy format is almost entirely a product of American children's television. Cartoon Network's US division hasn't produced a full half-hour series in years. Even Justice League Action uses that.
And still get's treated horribly by CN anyway!

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:39 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:My heart yearns for a Toonami channel, either on the USA or on Latin America...
I want it too but it's unlikely since the executives prefer to focus in children than other audiences. Also, if it happens Koch and Zuccarino will screw it up anyway...like launching it on a less accesible cable/satellite provider or not airing anime at all.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:48 pm

I mean, I realize that 11-minute children's comedy stuff is common here in the US as well, but the last time I checked (which, admittedly, was some time ago as I haven't really bothered with cable TV in years) I thought the networks here usually bundled two of those 11-minute segments together so that they still fit into a 30-minute slot, rather than just airing one of them on its own.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Theophrastus wrote:I mean, I realize that 11-minute children's comedy stuff is common here in the US as well, but the last time I checked (which, admittedly, was some time ago as I haven't really bothered with cable TV in years) I thought the networks here usually bundled two of those 11-minute segments together so that they still fit into a 30-minute slot, rather than just airing one of them on its own.
You're right. For the most part, they still bundle two 11-minute episodes of the same show to form a 30-minute slot. It's confusing, because you'd think they would want to take advantage of that aspect of the format. Show kids four different series in an hour instead of two. Instead, it just comes across as though they believe the kids don't have a large enough attention span to follow a half hour storyline. For whatever reason, these dominate Cartoon Network's schedule in the US. Which then gets reflected onto the foreign versions of the channel. That leaves Dragon Ball, with its serialized plot, more serious tone and violence as a no-go.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Every time I flick over to CN they seem to be airing these 11 minutes shows, anything over that seems to be shoved to Boomerang like out of the new rebooted shows, only Scooby doo to my knowledge stayed at 20 mins and no surprise that it was Boomerang that was airing. Ben10 reboot I am pretty sure is 11 minutes now. Heck even the new Justice League show is 11 minutes but because it is more action orientated, CN air it on 7.30 am on a Saturday.... what a joke. Weekday fair enough as kids will be up for school but no kid is gonna get up at 7.30AM on a FREAKING SATURDAY!
I didn't know Be Cool, Scooby Doo was a half-hour show. Given that art style, I figured it would've been another 11-minute comedy. No wonder CN USA ignores its existence. Then again, it seems like they just hate all of the shows initially intended for Boomerang.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Every time I flick over to CN they seem to be airing these 11 minutes shows, anything over that seems to be shoved to Boomerang like out of the new rebooted shows, only Scooby doo to my knowledge stayed at 20 mins and no surprise that it was Boomerang that was airing. Ben10 reboot I am pretty sure is 11 minutes now. Heck even the new Justice League show is 11 minutes but because it is more action orientated, CN air it on 7.30 am on a Saturday.... what a joke. Weekday fair enough as kids will be up for school but no kid is gonna get up at 7.30AM on a FREAKING SATURDAY!
I didn't know Be Cool, Scooby Doo was a half-hour show. Given that art style, I figured it would've been another 11-minute comedy. No wonder CN USA ignores its existence. Then again, it seems like they just hate all of the shows initially intended for Boomerang.
Ha! Kinda of off topic here but I do like Be Cool, it is actually pretty funny, but as massive step down from the SD;MI and surprise surprise I read somewhere it wasn't renewed because it was too dark for kids or some crap like that. Lord knows what CN would do if they aired DBS normally and it got to the Black arc...lol.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:41 pm

All I'm looking for is Toonami (or at least some goddamn anime) airing in Canada. Most of our youth watch anime online or if they're lucky their parents are subscribed to FUNi Now or Crunchyroll. Glad African kids will get to grow up with Dragon Ball though!
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:25 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:My heart yearns for a Toonami channel, either on the USA or on Latin America...
I think there is a "Toonami Channel" in India. Sort of.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChNrVi ... cL52e83JSg

Here are some Toonami India promos involving DBZ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWOtUjBKvko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfr7xyU_YlM
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:04 am

I know... but I STILL WANT IT FOR LATIN AMERICA! AND THE USA! AND CANADA!

Is that too much to ask!? Cries.