What are all the things Super has contradicted or retconed from DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

What are all the things Super has contradicted or retconed from DBZ?

Post by precita » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:17 pm

As we know Super has made some rather. interesting or odd, changes from the lore established in DBZ. As well as some retcons. Does anyone have a list of everything? I can think of a few:

- "Earth's Hell." This was something never brought up in DBZ at all. Apparently Earth has its own Hell separate from other planets Hell. It also appears King Yemma only checks in souls from Earth, or at least that quadrant of the universe?

- You can now use the Time chamber as many times as you want. In DBZ it was stated you could only go in their twice a lifetime.

- Characters can now grow millions of times stronger or power up very quickly. Freeza to his Gold form, Roshi suddenly getting a drastic increase in power, 17 somehow being comparable to Blue

- Gohan's Ultimate form is now a transformation

- Simple attacks like a common laser gun can even kill you with God power if you're not paying attention or powered up, as seen with Goku.

- The Potara fusion is now only an hour long for non-Kai's. Vegito got an explanation for defusing.

- Super Saiyan transformation is now controlled between controlling your back muscles and feeling tingly...at least for U6 Saiyans

Is there anything else? I'm not talking about new stuff that didn't exist before, like Super Saiyan God, or 12 universes, or Zeno, etc....but stuff from DBZ lore that was either changed, retconned, or expanded upon.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Re: What are all the things Super has contradicted or retconed from DBZ?

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:51 pm

A Kaioh can become a Kaioshin.
Gotenks fusion could last less than 30 mins (idk if this counts because it was filler and super wasn't the first one in doing this).
Dende's place can be used as a kind of UFO.
Piccolo can control his limbs even after losing them.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

szopman
Beyond Newbie

Post by szopman » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:41 pm

- You can now use the Time chamber as many times as you want. In DBZ it was stated you could only go in their twice a lifetime.
I think it's because Dende rebuit it. I guess it's like with Dragon Balls, he didn't only rebuilt it, he also made some modifications :)

It always have been.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:57 pm

precita wrote:- You can now use the Time chamber as many times as you want. In DBZ it was stated you could only go in their twice a lifetime.
Is that right? Pretty sure you could use it as much as you want, but once you hit 48 hours, the entrance would disappear. Regardless, it is a retcon, since they use it all the time now.
Retired.

Trickster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trickster » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:43 pm

Now, even a commom bullet can hurt Goku
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Sorry for bad english. I'm not fluent in your language, so, if you want to correct some mistake of mine, please do it. I'll be grateful

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:47 pm

Trickster wrote:Now, even a commom bullet can hurt Goku
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That's not really a contradiction, Goku had his guard down, and comments immediately after that he'd gotten rusty.
Retired.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:06 pm

szopman wrote:
It always have been.
Only in movie 13. In the manga and anime series, he was "ultimate" for the rest of the series, even through the end of Z.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:09 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That's not really a contradiction, Goku had his guard down, and comments immediately after that he'd gotten rusty.
And that shouldn't have even hurt him with how strong he has gotten. In-fact, shouldn't have even phased him in the slightest. It didn't to Kid Goku, why would it now regardless of how 'rusty' you are?
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:33 pm

I kind of feel like the idea of Gohan failing to defeat Buu as something that was coming to him as a result of being too overconfident and letting his guard down is a little bit of a retcon. If not of the events of the moment, but in the way the story tries to present itself. I never really felt like there was a moment where the original events shifted from "Gohan you're so cool" to "Gohan you're needlessly dragging this out and should be more wary".
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:39 pm

DrakenballP wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
It didn't to Kid Goku, why would it now regardless of how 'rusty' you are?
By the way, Kid Goku got knocked out after receiving a shot off guard.......

dbgtFO wrote:

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:44 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:
DrakenballP wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: That's not really a contradiction, Goku had his guard down, and comments immediately after that he'd gotten rusty.
That was not my point whatsoever. My point was it didn't even scuff him, so if it didn't scuff a kid version of Goku, it shouldn't have harmed an Adult version.
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:46 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
precita wrote:- You can now use the Time chamber as many times as you want. In DBZ it was stated you could only go in their twice a lifetime.
Is that right? Pretty sure you could use it as much as you want, but once you hit 48 hours, the entrance would disappear. Regardless, it is a retcon, since they use it all the time now.
We never see how they get out though. Gotenks was powerful enough to scream a hole out. Maybe Goku did that when he went in with Vegeta and we've seen Vegeta break it the two times he went in alone.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:46 pm

DrakenballP wrote:
dbs fanboy wrote:
DrakenballP wrote:
That was not my point whatsoever. My point was it didn't even scuff him, so if it didn't scuff a kid version of Goku, it shouldn't have harmed an Adult version.
You got me, touche.

dbgtFO wrote:

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:55 pm

Beerus ordering Freeza to destroy Planet Vegeta is the biggest, and arguably the most egregious one. And Goku Black's existence contradicts the time travel laws of Dragon Ball. The characters know where, and who Oob is now. And Dragon Ball Super has also contradicted Bulma's line about seeing Goku five years ago.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:15 pm

Muten Roshi suddenly having the potential to hang with the Z-Warriors.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:37 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Muten Roshi suddenly having the potential to hang with the Z-Warriors.
This bothers me a lot and I don't know what Toriyama was thinking by making Roshi a major character again. I mean I like him, but it creates so many plotholes and it's nonsensical to see him fighting alongside character with God like power.

And no, I don't believe Roshi "training" for maybe a year managed to get him on par with the other humans. Realistically Roshi should be at Radditz level AT BEST, and even that is pushing it.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:42 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
We never see how they get out though. Gotenks was powerful enough to scream a hole out. Maybe Goku did that when he went in with Vegeta and we've seen Vegeta break it the two times he went in alone.
We've never had any indication of that, so I'd say it's still a retcon. It's technically possible that they just scream their way out though, and if it's the case, I hope we see it some day.
Retired.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:48 pm

Although this didn't happen in Super, Toriyama changed Buu's origin in an interview where he said he wasn't made by Bibidi but rather he was always around and he just knew hoe to wake him up. In the same interview he said he slept a lot which is what we're seeing now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Trickster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trickster » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:39 am

precita wrote:
This bothers me a lot and I don't know what Toriyama was thinking by making Roshi a major character again. I mean I like him, but it creates so many plotholes and it's nonsensical to see him fighting alongside character with God like power.
Well, I say for sure it's just a fanservice case, just like Tenshin Han and him in Golden Freeza Saga. Toriyama/DBS is trying to make everything GT didn't do in this scope(?). Future Trunks came back, Freeza, the most iconic villain, came back, 17 came back, Kuririn is bald again, Goku and Vegeta use their most popular uniforms, Goten and Trunks have the exact same appearance than Z, the existence of an "evil Goku", a NEW BROLY, new ssj forms all the time, etc.
Sorry for bad english. I'm not fluent in your language, so, if you want to correct some mistake of mine, please do it. I'll be grateful

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:04 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Muten Roshi suddenly having the potential to hang with the Z-Warriors.
I don't dislike Roshi as a character at all, but this one really, really annoys me. I'm sure I can recall a scene where Roshi literally admitted that the Z Fighters had all surpassed him, and he essentially passed the torch to Tien, Goku, etc.

I'm sure somebody will remember that scene more accurately than me?
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.