Which of FUNimation's Name Changes Bother You the Most?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: Which of FUNimation's Name Changes Bother You the Most?

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:42 pm

Robo4900 wrote:No no no, I mean reaarranging "ruh-KOOM" gives you "koo-RUM". That's my criticism. Cream would probably rearrange into "ree-KM", which you can't really pronounce, so it needs some form of extra sound there...
Oh! Well...no, rearranging [ruh-KOOM] (Reacoom) gets you [kuh-REEM] (Cooream), or it WOULD if the OO was able to become a reduced vowel. That's why I was saying that people would see "Reacoom" and only emphasize the second syllabel. Sadly, a spelling like "Cooream" would be pronounced [KOR-uhm] or [KOR-ee-uhm] due to the OOR... Perhaps "OO" isn't the best way to write it. "Reacume"? As a rearrangin of "Ceuream"? I dunno how to pronounce "CEU", but...maybe it could be pronounced [kuh]? Especially with the more obvious "EA" in the second syllabel probably getting the emphasis.
Robo4900 wrote:You have explained why the words I cited are the way they are, but this doesn't refute my citing of them.
I was saying that the "RE" in 'recoup' is basically a separate word becuz...as a separate word, it can end getting pronounced separately. Like how people mite pronounce 'Iceland' as [AHYS-luhnd] or [AHYS LAND], and 'mailman' as [MEHYL-muhn] or [MEHYL MAN]. I've definately heard people say all those, AND even 'recoup' as [REE KOOP]. That's why with a made-up name like 'Reacoom', it's all one thing, and [REE KOOM] isn't possible. BUT, when you spell it "Rea Coom", Rea-Coom", "Rea-coom", or ReaCoom", you CAN get that two-word pronunciation. In fact, you kinda force it. It's like how we spell "Kiyo'oka' to prevent confusion. Or how Viz spells "Rin-ne" as they do, since "Rinne" might get pronounced [RIN].
Robo4900 wrote:You're getting stuck on one minor part of this. I suggested "REE-koom", but I'm just as behind "ree-KOOM". Choose your battles; either argue for "ree-KOOM" or argue against both. :P
Anyway, "Recoup" very clearly emphasises the second syllable, and yet you don't say "ruh-KOOP". That would be dumb... It would negate the "Re" part of the word... It would muddy the origins of the word, and thus deprive it of meaning... Sound familiar?
What do you mean people don't say [ruh-KOOP]? Of course people do. All the time. Some pronounce the "re" as [ruh], some as [reh], and some as [rih]. YOU pronounce it [reh], and that's fine, but even the dictionary (stupidly) says you're wrong, and that it's only correct pronunciation is [rih-KOOP]. Like you, I hate the idea of pronouncing the E as an I, but most people probably do use [rih] since the dictionary only puts in what's most commonly used. That aside, I'm fine with [ruh], as it's neutral. It's a sound that can logically be used with any vowel letter. ...Unlike using an I-sound for the letter E. (This site mite help you understand what I'm trying to say: https://pronuncian.com/intro-to-schwa/)
Robo4900 wrote:Recoup is an existing word. Reacoom is, for the sake of this discussion, a name we're inventing. Still, as I say, pick your battles... I will gladly concede the "REE-koom" vs "ree-KOOM" part of this. Does also make it easier to explain its pronunciation as "It's just like 'recoup', only it's 'Reacoom'" than it would be if we did the odd emphasis I suggested before.
It's true that it's a made-up name, not a word...but it clearly is using English rules for its spelling, so people are going to see "Reacoom" and put the emphasis on the second syllable, and then either pronounce the first syllable with an reduced vowel sound, OR they might think the "EA" is two syllables (like 'reality'), resulting in [REE-uh-KOOM]. But anyway, if it were more Japanese (or just more non-English looking), like say "Rikūmu", people would be more likely to pronounce all the vowels in full. Tho, plenty would still mess it up... Like Naruto as [nuh-ROO-ro] (that second R being a standard R as apposed to an English R...but let's not get into that rite now. Heh...)
Robo4900 wrote:This feels like a strawman argument to me. It isn't like Vegerot at all, and I say that as someone who does advocate for Vegerot. Vegerot is totally reinventing the name to fix an inconsistency in their own adaptation that appears if you don't fix it, meanwhile Reacoom is slightly differently rendering the original name to reflect the root pun better.
Yeah, I guess "Vegerot"'s a bit different... Hm... Nevermind then. I need a better examel. Lol
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:59 pm

Personally the only name that has bugged me is more of a recent one. Top is the one that bugs me. I guess it doesn't help that we were used to hearing it and subtitled as Toppo for a year and a half before we got to him dubbed.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:08 am

Essentially any that are just poorly romanized already-English names. Ones that jump to mind are Olive and Frog in the Anoyo-ichi Budōkai to "Olibu" and "Froug". I don't care if it's for lip flaps or trademark or what. It just hurts my soul.

Digimon did the same kind of stuff both in the anime and games/merch, where we had crap like "Arukenimon" for Arachnemon, "Apokarimon" for Apocalymon, and "Aurumon" for Owlmon. Worse yet is I knew one of the translators for the show who knew her shit and these were not her doing. It was a conscious decision by someone else along the chain.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:23 pm

Digimon had more stuff than that. Of the original Goggles Kids, Takuya from "Frontier" was the only one of them who had the same full name on both sides of the Pacific. (Tai and Takato had different last names, while Davis had his first name different, obviously).

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:10 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Digimon had more stuff than that. Of the original Goggles Kids, Takuya from "Frontier" was the only one of them who had the same full name on both sides of the Pacific. (Tai and Takato had different last names, while Davis had his first name different, obviously).
I never understood how they ended up with "Kami-ya" instead of "Ya-gami". That's like changing "Blackman" to "Manblack". Like, what's the point? None of the other six had their names changed. Some got nicknames, but that's all they were.

I guess we can be thankful Funimaiton didn't change names for the sake of changing names. They just did it cuz they didn't know any better. Which is what happens when you don't get a translator...and then ignore his translations even after you get one.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:17 pm

This is probably off-topic, but this is the closest place I could find: the next Goku on Nimbus Pop! Vinyl specifically calls him Son Goku!

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:04 pm

Huh...? That's pretty cool! ...Tho, I don't like looking at those creepy things. Maybe they used the Viz name? It's so weird to see "Son Goku" in a world where Funimation's names are default...Even in countries that aired the Ocean-or-whatever dub.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:44 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Huh...? That's pretty cool! ...Tho, I don't like looking at those creepy things. Maybe they used the Viz name? It's so weird to see "Son Goku" in a world where Funimation's names are default...Even in countries that aired the Ocean-or-whatever dub.
Might be to help differentiate from the previous version, which was called "Goku & Flying Nimbus", possibly so that they could save "Kid Goku" for one in his red gi. They used Shenron for the recent big Pop! of the dragon himself.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:55 pm

All of them! Every single pointless name change they made bugs the hell out of me! Hence why I refuse to see DBS Broly in theaters unless it’s subbed. Right off the bat their refusal to acknowledge Goku’s damily name, Son, is a big one for me. He’s the main character and they won’t even say his full name. Their mispronunciations of “Yajirobe” and “Saiyan” are annoying, especially considering that Yajirobe is one of my favorite characters. I will NEVER call Mr. Satan “Hurcule” and I’m also not a big fan of Tenshinhan’s name being changed to “Tien.” I’d love to blame poor early localization (or in some cases straight up racism) but they still make these mistakes even today!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:19 pm

Gligarman wrote:All of them! Every single pointless name change they made bugs the hell out of me! Hence why I refuse to see DBS Broly in theaters unless it’s subbed. Right off the bat their refusal to acknowledge Goku’s damily name, Son, is a big one for me. He’s the main character and they won’t even say his full name. Their mispronunciations of “Yajirobe” and “Saiyan” are annoying, especially considering that Yajirobe is one of my favorite characters.
How is his name mispronounced? Sounds kinda the same, or is it more of a gaijin pronunciation a la "Maria" and "Uruguay" said slightly different in another language?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:32 pm

Super Sonic wrote:How is his name mispronounced? Sounds kinda the same, or is it more of a gaijin pronunciation a la "Maria" and "Uruguay" said slightly different in another language?
The difference is [YAAH-juh-ROH-bee] ('aah' as in "Aah! A spider!") versus [YAH-jee-ROH-behy] (with a standard R as apposed to an English R), I guess...tho it doesn't need to be SO Japanese. [YAH-juh-ROH-beyh] would be fine, and a huge improvement. It's mainly that they pronounce the A as [aah] instead of [ah], and the E as [ee] instead of [eyh]. It's the same kind of problem we get with 'Sasuke' being pronounced [suh-SOO-kee] by some people. Writing it Yajirobé would probably help.

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:21 am

Has anybody mentioned Paikuhan? I'm still not sure how they got "Pikkon", or why they chose to spell it that way.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:41 pm

Mosaic wrote:Has anybody mentioned Paikuhan? I'm still not sure how they got "Pikkon", or why they chose to spell it that way.
Pronunciation-wise, the only difference is that the dub dropped a vowel, so I think it's bit like how Kuririn became Krillin. Personally I can't be too bothered by it because (A) I'm not aware of the source pun that Funimation is obscuring, and (B) I primarily interact with Dragon Ball through the manga, and Paikuhan is a filler character.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

SheonGT

Post by SheonGT » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:20 am

Tenshinhan to Tien firstname Shinhan lastname.
Whyyy? That’s not his name Barry Watson god dammit *head desks*
I can’t imagine someone being like “Why, hello there, Mr. Shinhan” that sounds like a bad parody.

Similarly, Paikuhan to Pikkon. What is the deal? Honestly, I like the sound of Pikkon more but that doesn’t mean it’s not inaccurate and wrong for inaccuracy’s sake
Ask me about my love for the Faulconer Productions score!

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:13 pm

SheonGT wrote:Similarly, Paikuhan to Pikkon. What is the deal? Honestly, I like the sound of Pikkon more but that doesn’t mean it’s not inaccurate and wrong for inaccuracy’s sake
Actually, "Paikuhan" sounds nearly the same as "Pikkon". It's just that his Japanese name is actually "Paikuuhan", with the elongated "u" sound, so then it doesn't really work...

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:33 am

MyVisionity wrote:
SheonGT wrote:Similarly, Paikuhan to Pikkon. What is the deal? Honestly, I like the sound of Pikkon more but that doesn’t mean it’s not inaccurate and wrong for inaccuracy’s sake
Actually, "Paikuhan" sounds nearly the same as "Pikkon". It's just that his Japanese name is actually "Paikuuhan", with the elongated "u" sound, so then it doesn't really work...
DanielSSJ wrote:Pronunciation-wise, the only difference is that the dub dropped a vowel, so I think it's bit like how Kuririn became Krillin. Personally I can't be too bothered by it because (A) I'm not aware of the source pun that Funimation is obscuring, and (B) I primarily interact with Dragon Ball through the manga, and Paikuhan is a filler character.
I don't know what the originally intended pun was with the Japanese, but it is worth noting that, for one reason or another, the Westwood Ocean dub went with a pronunciation somewhat similar to "Pecan". I see a lot of people mocking that pronunciation, but given the way Dragon Ball names tend to be, I'd argue it was a pretty good assumption for the Westwood/Ocean guys to have made in '02, with only their past experience and the scripts they had to hand for reference.

Funimation's pronunciation of "Pikkon" annoys me, since not only does it fail to be an approximation of the Japanese(The "Ku" and "Ha" sounds seem to have been combined into a sort of "Kah" in the pronunciation of the last sound of the name), but the name doesn't have any particular meaning to go along with it, and there's really no rhyme or reason behind it.

It's funny DanielSSJ would mention Kuririn, since this is a somewhat similar case... We all know the names Krillin and Kuririn, but few know the arguably more correct "Kurilin" name, which is never used in official media. The logic behind this goes back to what his name is a pun on: Kuri refers to chestnuts, and rin/lin refers to shaolin. Kuririn comes from the idea of keeping it Japanese, and just romanising based on that, while Krillin is a somewhat careless romanisation, with the double-L obscuring the shaolin part, and the loss of the first vowel obscuring the Japanese chestnut pun part. Arguably Kurilin would be best, since it renders both halves of the pun... And yet, it's still a very obscure, obtuse pun in English without explanation, and even Steve Simmons, Clyde Mandelin, and the Viz translation team just go with Kuririn, keeping it a direct romanisation of the Japanese, rather than weirdly mixing Japanese and Chinese as in the theoretical "Kurilin". Realistically, I'm not a translator, so I'm just making assumptions and spreading what I can remember of what I've learned about this, so take this with a pinch of salt, but regardless, the ultimate point is, while there are two interesting ways to romanise the name that both bear their own approach at retaining the root pun, Krillin is a terrible way to localise the name; it completely negates any semblence of the root puns.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:43 pm

ReCOOOOOm, DaBOOOOra, pikkon, they add extra OOOO and take them away from names that had it originally. Ginyu's boys and Bardock's crew too, they messed up the already alien sounding names for the Ginyu Corps but then just straight up gave Bardock's crew new names.

Stuff like that bugs me, also Tien Shinhan, the books and the DVD subs say Tenshinhan or Ten, say THAT. And anyone who defends the bad translation with "localisation" too. Localisation would be if his name was Three-Eyed Freddie.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:41 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I don't know what the originally intended pun was with the Japanese, but it is worth noting that, for one reason or another, the Westwood Ocean dub went with a pronunciation somewhat similar to "Pecan". I see a lot of people mocking that pronunciation, but given the way Dragon Ball names tend to be, I'd argue it was a pretty good assumption for the Westwood/Ocean guys to have made in '02, with only their past experience and the scripts they had to hand for reference.

Funimation's pronunciation of "Pikkon" annoys me, since not only does it fail to be an approximation of the Japanese(The "Ku" and "Ha" sounds seem to have been combined into a sort of "Kah" in the pronunciation of the last sound of the name), but the name doesn't have any particular meaning to go along with it, and there's really no rhyme or reason behind it.
Paikuuhan's name is taken from a Japanese term for spare ribs and rice. For anyone ever looking for a quick reference of the Japanese names and meanings there's this old thread by Herms.

As for the Funimation name not having any particular meaning, well, that's the case with most of Funi's names. They seem to be written in such a way to evoke a sense of sci-fi/fantasy naming based on the various characters' alien origins. Certainly no one's considering any semblance of the root puns.
Robo4900 wrote:It's funny DanielSSJ would mention Kuririn, since this is a somewhat similar case... We all know the names Krillin and Kuririn, but few know the arguably more correct "Kurilin" name, which is never used in official media. The logic behind this goes back to what his name is a pun on: Kuri refers to chestnuts, and rin/lin refers to shaolin. Kuririn comes from the idea of keeping it Japanese, and just romanising based on that, while Krillin is a somewhat careless romanisation, with the double-L obscuring the shaolin part, and the loss of the first vowel obscuring the Japanese chestnut pun part.
Although it may be a reasonable assumption, it's never really been verified that the "rin" in Kuririn's name comes from Shourin (Shaolin). It could also be taken from the cutesy Japanese suffix "-rin" or even just the sound of it. Either way, the "kuri" in his name alone pretty much completely covers the character's Shaolin origins (as a reference to the kuri-kuri bouzu whose shaven heads resemble the flesh of a chestnut).

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:06 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: I never understood how they ended up with "Kami-ya" instead of "Ya-gami". That's like changing "Blackman" to "Manblack". Like, what's the point? None of the other six had their names changed. Some got nicknames, but that's all they were.

From my understanding it was a translation error the translator got the kanji mixed up or something.
I guess we can be thankful Funimaiton didn't change names for the sake of changing names..
Power Pole?

Nimbus Cloud? (That was from Harmony Gold but still)