Other than general plot, is Toriyama working on the anime?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rizefall

Other than general plot, is Toriyama working on the anime?

Post by rizefall » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:39 am

I know that he changes stuff and adds dialouge to the manga. But does he do something for the anime? I'm pretty certain i saw a quote on that somewhere but can't find it. The quote going along the lines of him not working on the anime and helping Toyo with the manga.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Other than general plot, is Toriyama working on the anime?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:43 am

He does some character designs too.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

rizefall

Post by rizefall » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:47 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:He does some character designs too.
Yeah that i know.

God it's so hard to say "does he work on the anime" because he obviously does by doing designs, giving them a plot outline and so fourth.

But What I'm trying to ask is that, he does not look at it and change story and things like that. He only designs characters, but for the manga he actually changes designes and story/dialouge stuff. I could be wrong, but i have this notion I've seen him say he does not do "anything" for the anime.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:00 am

He provides character designs as well as plot outlines from what I understand. Toei (Anime) and Toyotaro (Manga) then take those elements and adapt them into their mediums with basically free reign to interpret it however they want, which is why there are noticeable differences between the two.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

rizefall

Post by rizefall » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:38 am

Gonstead wrote:He provides character designs as well as plot outlines from what I understand. Toei (Anime) and Toyotaro (Manga) then take those elements and adapt them into their mediums with basically free reign to interpret it however they want, which is why there are noticeable differences between the two.
I wonder. I still dont think he goes into the anime studio and looks and approves / disapproves the things they make for the anime in the same manner he does for the manga.