Does Anyone Own This Plush Doll?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gonstead
I Live Here

Does Anyone Own This Plush Doll?

Post by Gonstead » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:46 am

A bit of a shot in the dark on a question like this but I'm just trying to cover as many places I can think to ask this.

Story time.

Back in 2013 I came across an Ebay listing for a Super Saiyan 3 Goku doll that I remember really made me really laugh when I first saw it. I almost considered buying it but I let the auction run its course and thought I'd leave it at that. However, my curiosity overcame me, so I contacted the seller to ask if they'd still be willing to sell it. Unfortunately, he informed me that since it didn't sell, he just donated it to charity.

Lately it has entered back into my thoughts and still tends to make me laugh whenever I see it from the auction picture I saved of it, which is why I'm now trying to track down another one to buy.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

If anyone here seeing this happens to own this exact doll and is willing to sell, let me know.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Does Anyone Own This Plush Doll?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:03 pm

No and I'm glad I don't. That is kinda terrifying :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:08 pm

I'd have a chucky doll with a knife before I get that thing.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:27 pm

But does that one make you laugh as hard as this one?

[spoiler]Image
http://www.ebay.com/itm/19-Tall-Dragon- ... SwuMZZJ53s[/spoiler]

Or this one?

[spoiler]Image
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Vintage-DR ... SwblZZNU33[/spoiler]

Unfortunately, I think you'll have a tough time tracking that particular one down.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:16 am

Holy sh-....
No I don't and I won't be getting that thing anytime soon either..

Be careful if it's just amusement which is making you search for it.. :wink:
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:27 am

Where can I get a creepy Dragon Ball related plush? I'd love a terrifying Vegeta one!
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:05 pm

DrakenballP wrote:Where can I get a creepy Dragon Ball related plush? I'd love a terrifying Vegeta one!
How the hell did they put that thing together ? where did that colored top come from ?

Do you know where these are from ? I doubt they're American or Japanese.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:10 am

Some progress maybe? I dunno.

While doing a search for some DB related stuff, I came across these Virtua Fighter plush toys.

Here.

When compared to the Goku I'm looking for, it seems these ones may have come from the same manufacturer. They're also advertised as UFO Catcher toys, which means they were able to be grabbed in those crane game machines. This also lines up with an anon on 4chan who responded that he apparently got that same Goku toy from a crane game years ago.

So we potentially may have narrowed the search down to this. Gonna keep at it if I find anything.
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:25 pm

New progress? Details? Hopefully.

Been talking with someone who collected plushies in the 90/2000's and they don't seem to recognize it. Neither did their friend who was more into DBZ.

However, we may now have a manufacturer: Banpresto

Banpresto is apparently the main supplier of UFO Catcher toys and there's a Sailor Moon line of stuff that apparently also looks similar. They also had bendy wires in the limbs.

1995 also seems to be a significant year with the plushies discussed so far. It was the year Sailor Moon began airing in the US (August 1995), the year those Virtua Fighter plushies were released and is also the same year that Super Saiyan 3 was first revealed, specifically March 1995. Banpresto usually tends to be on the pulse when it comes to new material, so I don't think it would be too difficult to imagine that it was released in that year.

The bendy wire thing seems like it would line up with the proportions as well, especially if the material was soft enough to hold a pose of some sort.

The *only* thing that might hold this back is the aforementioned 1995 date for Sailor Moon, though I am doubtful Irwin Toys would release a SSJ3 Goku toy in that year due to DBZ not yet airing at the time (1996 was when the series first began in the US).

Details, details. The search continues!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:23 pm

Nope, and I wouldn't want to own.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.