When DBZ aired in the UK

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

When DBZ aired in the UK

Post by Fizzer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:12 am

My first experience of Dragon Ball was watching Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network in the UK. There'd be an episode on at 5pm each weekday, but despite that amounting to 260 episodes a year, DBZ lasted pretty much my whole way through primary school because we kept having to wait for new episodes, though my friendship group would always watch every day even when watching repeats for the nth time.

I remember the series repeatedly skipping back to the beginning of Z after Freeza's second transformation, after Trunks' warned Goku about the androids, and after Buu's puppy got killed. I'm pretty sure there were other points in the series too where one day we'd come home from school and be presented with the first episode of the Saiyan arc, but these ones stuck in my head as (I think) the first time it happened, and pretty major cliffhangers.

Since we had no spoilers apart from one magazine that had some character profiles for Buu arc characters who hadn't appeared yet, when it came to the android and puppy cliffhangers, I remember counting down to the new episodes while watching the repeats to find out what happened next. On more than one occasion I'd come home thinking "today's the day we get a new episode!" and meet my old friend, Farmer with Shotgun. Really though, this was great because it kept the suspense going for years, and it's always different watching for example the Saiyan arc once you've seen the later changes in Vegeta's character.

I'm wondering what memories other people have of this, and if anyone actually has a record of on which dates new episodes aired here, the schedule so to speak. There must have been a lot more reruns than I remember because I think DBZ went on for about five years here before we reached GT.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: When DBZ aired in the UK

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:30 am

All I know for sure is that in late January 2004, DBZ was airing the Androids arc, and GT was airing the middle of the Evil Dragons arc.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure that around that time, the Red Ribbon Army arc of DB was either about to start, or had just started airing.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:19 pm

I grew up watching DBZ on Cartoon Network at the same time. I can't give you exact dates or schedules but, as you mentioned, I specifically remember we'd be plodding along through the series and then all of a sudden would just jump back to the very beginning and start again. This didn't bother me too much in the beginning as I was literally so in love with the franchise that I could watch it all day, every day, but I remember as we got further into the series I actually found slightly annoying.

Around this time the internet was a relatively new thing. I didn't really ever have the presence of mind to seek out spoilers, but what I used to do was Google image "Dragon Ball Z" A LOT, and found a lot of stuff which inadvertently spoiled it for me. I remember finding a picture of Gohan as an "older teen" standing head-to-head with Buu and not knowing who either of them were, and I remember stumbling onto a picture of Gotenks as well.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:31 pm

It first aired on Cartoon Network UK on March 5th 2000. I can't remember the exact dates for all the sagas, but there was a really long wait for new episodes after the episode were Trunks tells Goku about the Androids (episode 107) which first aired around autumn 2000. Episode 108 (which also marked the beginning of the Westwood dub) finally aired on January 23rd 2001. I think it was around early summer 2002 when the Fat Buu saga concluded with Buu's puppy being shot (although I remember the scene cutting away early on Cartoon Network with the episode ending abruptly for some reason, likely due to the violent nature of it).

On October 14th 2002 we finally got the Fusion saga, which aired on the new channel CNX and was in Funimaton's dub for it's initial broadcast and reruns for a few weeks, although it would later be shown in Ocean dub instead. The reason for this has never been revealed, although there has been much speculation and debate about it online.

I know the Kid Buu saga aired in early 2003 and ended February 28th with Blue Water dub GT starting the following week. I think the first half of GT aired when it was still CNX, with the 2nd half airing after CNX changed to Toonami. I also remember Dragonball first airing around September 2003, with the last episode shown in November 2004.

2005 was when Toonami UK was on its last legs(unless you count the dreadful reworked Toonami we got from 2006-2007 that showed random live action stuff). In 2005 we got all Dragonball shows taken off the air and had the Big Green movies air starting from May 30th. I remember we first had movies 1-6 air, then we got DB movies 1-3 and the GT special in the summer holidays, and then Z movies 7-9 and the 2 specials in October.

After that we got nothing until Kai aired on Kix from December 26th 2012, which finished its first run in November 2013 and was re-run until Winter 2015. These days all we have are Battle of Gods and Resurrection F airing on Sky Movies from time to time, with no sign of Super ever airing sadly.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:22 pm

According to a Toonami Wiki page, DBZ was first on the British Comedy Network from Fall 1998 to 2000. I wasn't able to witness this for myself though.

According to that same site it supposedly didn't air on Cartoon Network until March 6, 2000, I personally remember seeing a trailer for it back in 1999 but I didn't start actually watching the show until early 2001. I recall quite a few DBZ marathons during this time, the Saiyan, Frieza and Garlic Jr sagas all got played during certain weekends and holidays. The Android and Imperfect Cell sagas were the newest episodes at the time and I remember them stopping at the cliffhanger where Cell absorbed Android 17, after that, it would go straight back to episode 108 with Goku in the Yardrat outfit. That's how I remember it at least. According to this page, episode 108 first aired in the UK on April 2nd 2001. I never used to go out of my way to watch many of the reruns unless a favourite episode was on so I don't remember how many times they'd cycle through the same episodes before starting a new one (I'd imagine it was only once although I could be mistaken).

The CNX channel launched on the 14th October and picked up where Cartoon Network left off with the Fusion saga. There seems to be a reliable schedule for CNX here. CNX was eventually shut down on either the 7th or 9th of September 2003, it was rebranded as Toonami and moved to the kids section with all mature content removed. GT also started airing on the 3rd of March 2003 before CNX closed down. As far as I remember there were no delays in between sagas for GT.

Toonami eventually premiered Dragon Ball, I can't find any concrete dates but think it was either late 2003 or early 2004. I remember watching up until the debut of Tien Shinhan, I remember this definitely happening during the Summer, I believe it was August 2004. After that, I was out of the country until 2006 so I missed out on everything else, according to this page the Piccolo Jr saga premiered in November 2004.

I know from many people that DBZ continued to be played on Toonami, including the movies from 30th of May to 3rd of June 2005.

I've read on a couple sites that Toonami stuck around in late 2006 and even 2007 but I personally have no recollection of that. Perhaps I just wasn't paying attention to kids TV at the time.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:00 am

90sDBZ wrote:It first aired on Cartoon Network UK on March 5th 2000. I can't remember the exact dates for all the sagas, but there was a really long wait for new episodes after the episode were Trunks tells Goku about the Androids (episode 107) which first aired around autumn 2000. Episode 108 (which also marked the beginning of the Westwood dub) finally aired on January 23rd 2001. I think it was around early summer 2002 when the Fat Buu saga concluded with Buu's puppy being shot (although I remember the scene cutting away early on Cartoon Network with the episode ending abruptly for some reason, likely due to the violent nature of it).

On October 14th 2002 we finally got the Fusion saga, which aired on the new channel CNX and was in Funimaton's dub for it's initial broadcast and reruns for a few weeks, although it would later be shown in Ocean dub instead. The reason for this has never been revealed, although there has been much speculation and debate about it online.

I know the Kid Buu saga aired in early 2003 and ended February 28th with Blue Water dub GT starting the following week. I think the first half of GT aired when it was still CNX, with the 2nd half airing after CNX changed to Toonami. I also remember Dragonball first airing around September 2003, with the last episode shown in November 2004.

2005 was when Toonami UK was on its last legs(unless you count the dreadful reworked Toonami we got from 2006-2007 that showed random live action stuff). In 2005 we got all Dragonball shows taken off the air and had the Big Green movies air starting from May 30th. I remember we first had movies 1-6 air, then we got DB movies 1-3 and the GT special in the summer holidays, and then Z movies 7-9 and the 2 specials in October.

After that we got nothing until Kai aired on Kix from December 26th 2012, which finished its first run in November 2013 and was re-run until Winter 2015. These days all we have are Battle of Gods and Resurrection F airing on Sky Movies from time to time, with no sign of Super ever airing sadly.
Definitely remember watching it earlier than 2000.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:36 pm

Was the original Dragon Ball screened on ITV in the late-90s (Kidmark/BLT dub)? I was in London around that time and have a vague memory of seeing a mention about it in a local TV magazine.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:12 pm

TheZFighter wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:It first aired on Cartoon Network UK on March 5th 2000. I can't remember the exact dates for all the sagas, but there was a really long wait for new episodes after the episode were Trunks tells Goku about the Androids (episode 107) which first aired around autumn 2000. Episode 108 (which also marked the beginning of the Westwood dub) finally aired on January 23rd 2001. I think it was around early summer 2002 when the Fat Buu saga concluded with Buu's puppy being shot (although I remember the scene cutting away early on Cartoon Network with the episode ending abruptly for some reason, likely due to the violent nature of it).

Definitely remember watching it earlier than 2000.
What channel was it on?

This first promo proves it started on Cartoon Network UK in 2000. Also I meant to say March the 6th earlier, and not March the 5th.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lBy3HtO5qU

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Here's a list of interesting inconsistencies when they aired the Dragon Ball series in the UK from my memory, might as well before they are forgotten:

The bigger channels such as ITV (or CITV) stated interest in picking up Dragon Ball Z but couldn't because of the violence. I can't remember where I heard that from. Sky would also get a lot of requests from fans asking when new episodes would air on Cartoon Network, this was addressed on Sky's weekly or monthly Q&A show they had on the information channel.

They kept the Rock the Dragon opening even when it switched to the Funimation dub in the Namek saga, however at least once they accidentally aired the Funimation opening. (This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJr_z_CnDm8 instead of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdjySHsqb6A )
This was also the case for the the Fusion or Buu saga when they once aired the Funimation dub for new episodes before going back to Ocean. (This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3nT54-EYfA instead of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhGnfeVX2BY )
Finally when the Dragon Ball dub aired here, a couple of times they played the really badly dubbed opening before playing the UK opening. (This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVrVTinOsBw instead of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqU0urk9Rwc )

During the Funimation Namek saga, they censored Dende saying 'screw' when he turned around to Krillin and Gohan saying something like 'don't screw with God of Love'. I tried to find a clip from the episode 'Piccolo's Return' but can only find the newer version with Laura Bailey instead of Ceyli Delgadillo. He now says 'please guys, don't disrespect the dragon.' I taped the episode as a kid and we all thought he was saying 'don't f%*k with God of Love'. At the time we thought DBZ was an adult show watered down.

On Toonami or maybe CNX, new episodes just began to air after the Cell Games, for about 3 days or a week they aired really bad quality ocean episodes with a disclaimer scrolling at the bottom of the screen apologizing for the quality. They looked like a bootleg, I'm not sure why they even bothered to air the episodes.

For about 2 weeks when they were airing the Fusion or Buu saga on CNX at the time, they would air 2 episodes in the morning slot at 7 or 8am, then 2 in the afternoon at 5pm. 1st episode being a re-run of yesterdays episode, 2nd episode being a new episode. However for the morning slot, someone at CNX forgot that the 1st episode was meant to be a re-run and not a new episode. For about 2 weeks the morning slot of CNX aired 2 new episodes a day instead of just 1 after a re-run. This meant that the morning ended up being 10 episodes ahead of the afternoon slot. It felt like I uncovered an amazing secret at the time.

None of the films were censored. Also they made mistakes with the order in which these films were aired, some doubling up. I had lost interest by this stage as did a lot of viewers. VHS was nearly dead and I think a lot of the footage for the promos and maybe some of these Big Green dubbed movies/specials are now lost because no one thought there was any reason to preserve them.

----

EDIT:

What's the deal with this YouTube user? He puts so much effort into being a troll, all of his videos are fake: https://www.youtube.com/user/CNXToonami/videos

Also there's absolutely no evidence Dragon Ball Z aired on the British Comedy Network before Cartoon Network in the UK.

I'd love to know what English dubbed footage is now lost, such as some of the big green dubs, promos, etc.
DrBriefsCat wrote:Was the original Dragon Ball screened on ITV in the late-90s (Kidmark/BLT dub)? I was in London around that time and have a vague memory of seeing a mention about it in a local TV magazine.
It could just be cloudy memory. I originally thought some of what I was watching was the Funi dub when it was actually the Ocean dub.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:22 pm

NinjaGoku wrote:What's the deal with this YouTube user? He puts so much effort into being a troll, all of his videos are fake: https://www.youtube.com/user/CNXToonami/videos
That's the alter ego of Enigmo. He's rather infamous around the DB fandom for his trolling, and his spreading of misinformation.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:28 pm

Does anyone else remember them censoring things after an episode premiered?

I seem to have at least two memories of this, the first was the introduction of Caroni at the Cell Games. When he'd introduce himself I recall this pose and sound effect but on all subsequent reruns they would end the pose on a freeze frame with the same sound effect but no hip thrust, if it wasn't for the sound still being there I wouldn't have been able to notice. I remember it really throwing me off when I watched it on TV a second time because it seemed like such a minor thing, I was like "they censored that?!". I always just assumed that an angry parent must've complained or they preemptively removed it just in case.

The next is more of a theory as it's impossible to prove. TV recordings suggest it didn't happen but there's a slight chance they might've been daytime recordings or a similar case to the first edit I mentioned. Basically, when Cell absorbs his first victim I seem to remember it being more graphic than it was, I had a memory of seeing the victim's face melt, for example, this was years before actually watching the uncut version in which that does actually happen. Back then I used to always stay up to watch DBZ at 9.00pm on Cartoon Network which is after the watershed. I've suspected that maybe there might have been a slightly less censored version airing around that timeslot but admittedly, this could just be the case of my memory playing tricks on me. I do wonder if others remember something similar though.
NinjaGoku wrote:Here's a list of interesting inconsistencies when they aired the Dragon Ball series in the UK from my memory, might as well before they are forgotten:

They kept the Rock the Dragon opening even when it switched to the Funimation dub in the Namek saga, however at least once they accidentally aired the Funimation opening. (This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJr_z_CnDm8 instead of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdjySHsqb6A )
This was also the case for the the Fusion or Buu saga when they once aired the Funimation dub for new episodes before going back to Ocean. (This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3nT54-EYfA instead of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhGnfeVX2BY )
Finally when the Dragon Ball dub aired here, a couple of times they played the really badly dubbed opening before playing the UK opening. (This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVrVTinOsBw instead of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqU0urk9Rwc )
While on this subject, when they premiered the Saiyaman saga and Gohan's high school episodes (which I believe was around the Summer of 2002), they also introduced the second Ocean dub credit sequence however they would rarely use it afterward and it seemed to quickly be phase it out in favour of the first credit sequence. As far as I remember, none of Toonami's reruns would ever feature the second credits sequence.

Something interesting I found out more recently was that, according to a friend from Canada, YTV did the exact opposite and favoured the second credits sequence almost exclusively.
NinjaGoku wrote:On Toonami or maybe CNX, new episodes just began to air after the Cell Games, for about 3 days or a week they aired really bad quality ocean episodes with a disclaimer scrolling at the bottom of the screen apologizing for the quality. They looked like a bootleg, I'm not sure why they even bothered to air the episodes.
This was actually on Cartoon Network: https://youtu.be/y22B0K0cD6E

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:09 am

NinjaGoku wrote:They kept the Rock the Dragon opening even when it switched to the Funimation dub in the Namek saga, however at least once they accidentally aired the Funimation opening. (This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJr_z_CnDm8 instead of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdjySHsqb6A )
Actually Rock the Dragon has always been used for Season 3 even in the US and on the old single VHS tapes and DVDs because Faulconer's intro didn't exist until the Garlic Jr saga. Cartoon Network/CNX/Toonami UK would always use Faulconer's intro for the Garlic Jr and Trunks episodes, although you're right about the Fusion saga on CNX being inconsistent with the intros. The Funimation Fusion episodes would mostly use the Westwood opening/ending but would occasionally use Faulconer's intro/ending instead.

Another thing is that after awhile Toonami UK stopped using Rock the Dragon for the earlier episodes completely and would air the Saiyan-Frieza sagas with the Westwood intro, then briefly switch to Faulconer's intro for the Garlic Jr and Trunks sagas, and then use the Westwood intro again for the rest of the series. I don't know why this was but it could be to do with licensing or something. I remember a similar situation with Jackie Chan Adventures on Fox Kids UK using the "Chan's the man" ending theme by Wheatus for the first season, then using a different ending theme for Season 2 onwards and then also using that instead of "Chan's the man" for reruns of Season 1.

Another inconsistency that comes to mind is the Westwood Fusion saga episodes having more edits than the Funimation version, such as Super Buu being shot by the gunman, Buu jumping down his throat, and Gotenks farting in the bathtub being removed. What's interesting is that some Canadian viewers claim these extra edits didn't exist for them, although I've never seen a video to prove it.

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:24 am

NitroEX wrote:Does anyone else remember them censoring things after an episode premiered?

I seem to have at least two memories of this, the first was the introduction of Caroni at the Cell Games. When he'd introduce himself I recall this pose and sound effect but on all subsequent reruns they would end the pose on a freeze frame with the same sound effect but no hip thrust, if it wasn't for the sound still being there I wouldn't have been able to notice. I remember it really throwing me off when I watched it on TV a second time because it seemed like such a minor thing, I was like "they censored that?!". I always just assumed that an angry parent must've complained or they preemptively removed it just in case.

The next is more of a theory as it's impossible to prove. TV recordings suggest it didn't happen but there's a slight chance they might've been daytime recordings or a similar case to the first edit I mentioned. Basically, when Cell absorbs his first victim I seem to remember it being more graphic than it was, I had a memory of seeing the victim's face melt, for example, this was years before actually watching the uncut version in which that does actually happen. Back then I used to always stay up to watch DBZ at 9.00pm on Cartoon Network which is after the watershed. I've suspected that maybe there might have been a slightly less censored version airing around that timeslot but admittedly, this could just be the case of my memory playing tricks on me. I do wonder if others remember something similar though.
I have similar memories but I don't think it had anything to do with watershed. Other than that one time CN censored the Funi dub, I think the rest of the censorship came directly from the footage given to CN.
When stuff slipped past was during recaps at the start. When the previous episode aired, you didn't see Dr. Gero putting someone's head through a vehicle, it was edited. Then on the next episode's recap they showed it. Is this because they used the AB's masters, or is it Westwood/Ocean censorship?
90sDBZ wrote:Another inconsistency that comes to mind is the Westwood Fusion saga episodes having more edits than the Funimation version, such as Super Buu being shot by the gunman, Buu jumping down his throat, and Gotenks farting in the bathtub being removed. What's interesting is that some Canadian viewers claim these extra edits didn't exist for them, although I've never seen a video to prove it.
One time I realized this when they were editing so much for no good reason. They censored Buu creating a port-a-toilet, rushing in to use it, leaving a cartoony stench everywhere that Dende and Mr. Satan could smell. I felt that less stuff slipped by as this dub progressed. I'm almost certain these edits existed for Canadian viewers too. CN didn't touch GT or the Big Green films from what I remember, but who knows maybe CN got lazy by that stage.
NitroEX wrote:
NinjaGoku wrote:On Toonami or maybe CNX, new episodes just began to air after the Cell Games, for about 3 days or a week they aired really bad quality ocean episodes with a disclaimer scrolling at the bottom of the screen apologizing for the quality. They looked like a bootleg, I'm not sure why they even bothered to air the episodes.
This was actually on Cartoon Network: https://youtu.be/y22B0K0cD6E
Thanks, yeah my memory is foggy, I kinda forgot at what point they switched over to CNX. The quality isn't as bad as I remember, but the voice acting is worse than I remember :lol:. I wonder why they had it zoomed in? Where did they source it from? Also, a very brief snippet of the Japanese eyecatch! What source footage uses this, did the ocean dub ever use those eyecatches?

Edit: Does anyone have a list or can contribute to a list of dubs/footage that is now lost?

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:33 am

Nothing is really lost. Just one episode of Dragon Ball Blue water dub seems to be lost. I personally have everything that has aired in the UK, including some adverts and commercials which are not online anymore.
1. Dragon Ball Z first aired on Cartoon Network March 6th 2000.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
2. Following it's success it was decided to launch Toonami as a block on Cartoon Network in September of that same year. They aired Tenchi Muyo, Gundam Wing, Batman of the Future and Johnny Quest.
3. They repeated the Saiyan Saga until they got the rights to the Namek saga and Frieza saga around the end of 2000. Shortly after the Garlic Jr Saga also aired around the end of 2000.
4. The Trunks saga was airing at the start of 2001 while also airing promos for a "NEW DBZ coming soon" which previewed the Android saga.
5. The Android Saga (Episode 108) first aired in the UK on April 2nd 2001 in Holland it aired earlier in January 2001 (Westwood Dub).

This issue of Funimation Dub airing instead of the westwood dub occured around 28th of September 2002. They used Funimation dub clips to promo the fusion saga which was to air on CNX. The information is sketchy but it seems that episode 237 to 238 was Funimation dubbed when it first aired on CNX. Then switching to the Westwood dub for episode 239 on November 14th 2002.

6. CNX launched and The final sagas of DBZ aired from October 14th 2002 to March 1st 2003 the (launch date of CNX). They began airing from episode 237 on the launch date. They aired 2 new episodes every weekday at 5pm and 5.25pm. Re-runs of DBZ aired at 1pm and 1.25pm starting from episode one on launch day also. 2 new episodes a day from Monday to Friday, while rerunning the weeks episodes during the weekend.

7. The Fusion saga ( Episode 239) aired in November 2002. At some point the episodes began to re-run at the end of the Fusion saga (episode 260). This trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WajeOaWb2qs began airing on CNX mid-January 2003 for "The Final Saga".

8. The last episode 276 of DBZ was aired on March 1st 2003.
8. Dragon Ball GT first aired in the UK on CNX, Monday March 3rd 2003 at 5pm-6pm airing episode 1 and 2.

I have loads of promos and commercials correlating to these dates. If anyone wants a comprehensive video series on Youtube time-lining the UK Dragon Ball Z/GT sagas and promos for Toonami and CNX just express your interest, and ill look into it.

Edit: These dates are confirmed by old UK fansites which reviewed the episodes and correctly dated the episodes back when they aired. They used TV guides at the time to confirm the airings of future numbered episodes. Also the digitised VHS tapes I have confirm this. Open the spoiler tag above for a confirmation that March 6th 2000 DBZ aired in the UK.

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:54 am

DBZimran wrote:Nothing is really lost. Just one episode of Dragon Ball Blue water dub seems to be lost. I personally have everything that has aired in the UK, including some adverts and commercials which are not online anymore.
I have an old Cartoon Network or Toonami competition promo from a VHS that hasn't been uploaded, PM me. I though some of the Big Green dubs were lost which only aired in the UK, no?

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:58 am

NinjaGoku wrote:
DBZimran wrote:Nothing is really lost. Just one episode of Dragon Ball Blue water dub seems to be lost. I personally have everything that has aired in the UK, including some adverts and commercials which are not online anymore.
I have an old Cartoon Network or Toonami competition promo from a VHS that hasn't been uploaded, PM me. I though some of the Big Green dubs were lost which only aired in the UK, no?
I have DBZ movies 1 to 9 and TV special 1 and 2. I didn't consider the big green dub as that relevant to mention. I know some Dragon Ball movies and the GT special are lost.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:01 pm

NinjaGoku wrote: I wonder why they had it zoomed in? Where did they source it from? Also, a very brief snippet of the Japanese eyecatch! What source footage uses this, did the ocean dub ever use those eyecatches?
The footage was likely zoomed in to hide the Cartoon Network US logo which was placed in the lower corner of the screen (the UK one was always on the top right). It's not known why but it seems they had to borrow US broadcast footage for a short while.

I remember seeing the second Buu saga eyecatch used on Toonami a few times but most of the time they were cut for ad space so they were quite rare. They sounded like this.

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:45 am

Just in addition to what I posted above, the Kid Buu Saga began on Friday 7th of February 2003 on CNX. Dragon Ball first aired in the UK on October 6th 2003.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:13 pm

Cool facts, I had no idea about the skipping back to the beginning thing. I was very young when I lived in the UK so I don't have any memory of Dragon Ball from then but I'm assuming it was on TV from 2000-2004? If so, I must have missed it because my mom didn't like me watching much TV and when I did I watched The Tweenies and other such kiddie stuff.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:03 pm

I remember when it was airing on CNX they decided to use the FUNI dub. After about two weeks they switched back to Ocean. I think it was due to people hating it. I wasn't able to get used to Fat Buu's high pitched voice.

CNX was a cool channel, gone too soon.