When DBZ aired in the UK

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: When DBZ aired in the UK

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:14 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:51 pm Interesting. But you guys had a much smaller gap between the last Ocean episode recorded under Funimation and the first Funimation Studios episode right? Since Toonami UK didn’t start airing Dragon Ball Z at all until Funimation had dubbed up to the Garlic Jr saga?
Technically we didn't have to wait for Season 3, as episode 54 aired right after 53, although I think there was a short wait for Season 2 after 1. And there was another short wait after Frieza went into his 2nd form. The wait for the Android saga seemed to take forever, but once the Westwood dub started airing most of the waits were pretty short i.e. a month or so between sagas.

The Fusion saga also took a long time to air after Fat Buu, possibility due to the move from Cartoon Network to CNX, and interstingly used Funimation's dub for it's first month or 2 on the air before switching to Ocean for later reruns.

The Kid Buu saga was the first time we got a saga before the US funnily enough. GT actually aired immediately after it too.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:27 pm

Anyone remember Cubix? That showed replaced DBZ for a while and I hated it for that reason alone.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:25 pm

Kid Buu wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:27 pm Anyone remember Cubix? That showed replaced DBZ for a while and I hated it for that reason alone.
I remember Cubix, but I don't remember it replacing DBZ. It might have started airing on Cartoon Network when DBZ moved to CNX. DBZ was constantly on UK TV from 2000-2005, on Cartoon Network until it moved to CNX in late 2002, and on there until CNX was rebranded as Toonami which eventually moved to the kids section in 2003.

Now that I think about it Cubix might aired on Cartoon Network originally, only to re -air as a "Brand new show" years later on Toonami after DBZ had been taken off for good. Toonami UK did the same with Beyblade, treating it as a "Brand new show" even though it aired on Cartoon Network years before.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:10 pm

Yeah I remember Cubix being on Cartoon Network UK first, I want to say it first aired around 2003, maybe a bit later than Beyblade, which I know ran from 2002-2003, but neither replaced Dragon Ball Z as they were both on Cartoon Network when Z had moved over to Toonami. Pretty sure all action shows that aired on Cartoon Network were later broadcast on Toonami and passed off as new shows though. I recall Xiaolin Showdown, Samurai Jack and Star Wars: Clone Wars all debuted on Cartoon Network but later migrated to Toonami too.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:13 pm

It replaced DBZ after the Cell Saga I think. Not after CNX. Remember being so mad. Got into a fight with a kid at school over it.

Quite funny talking about the broadcast history of a show can make someone feel so nostalgic...
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:36 pm

Kid Buu wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:13 pm It replaced DBZ after the Cell Saga I think. Not after CNX. Remember being so mad. Got into a fight with a kid at school over it.

Quite funny talking about the broadcast history of a show can make someone feel so nostalgic...
That's odd because the Saiyaman saga aired right after the Cell Games, and was followed by the Tournament saga. There was a period were we had to wait for the Babidi saga, but I don't remember DBZ ever being off the air at that time. I'm sure I remember them re-running the Cell Games a couple of times.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:10 pm I recall Xiaolin Showdown, Samurai Jack and Star Wars: Clone Wars all debuted on Cartoon Network but later migrated to Toonami too.
Justice League, Xmen Evolution, and Batman Beyond were in the same boat too. The funny thing is Samurai Jack eventually ended up back on Cartoon Network after Toonami died.

Xmen Evolution, Batman Beyond, The Batman, and Justice League all aired on Kix years later around the same time Kai was airing. For a while Kix was the closest we had to a Toonami UK revivial.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:56 pm

Hmm maybe I'm mis miss remembering. Maybe it was after the Fat Buu stuff?

I do remember watching DBZ at 5pm and then a repeat at 9pm. So I dont think it was eve completely off the air?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:09 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:36 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:10 pm I recall Xiaolin Showdown, Samurai Jack and Star Wars: Clone Wars all debuted on Cartoon Network but later migrated to Toonami too.
Justice League, Xmen Evolution, and Batman Beyond were in the same boat too. The funny thing is Samurai Jack eventually ended up back on Cartoon Network after Toonami died.
I guess because Samurai Jack is a Cartoon Network original there was incentive to hold on to it, even after Toonami's demise. I've always suspected that a huge reason Cartoon Network refused to rerun Dragon Ball Z for all these years, despite how well it did for them is the long term cost of licensing external content and TOEI, in particular are notorious for charging a bomb. The fact it's been 14 years, and we still haven't seen Cartoon Network attempt a Toonami UK revival indicates that they probably seen it as too much of a risk, and don't have any faith in the fans to support it. I am glad Kix at least tried something similar.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:21 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:09 pm I've always suspected that a huge reason Cartoon Network refused to rerun Dragon Ball Z for all these years, despite how well it did for them is the long term cost of licensing external content and TOEI, in particular are notorious for charging a bomb. The fact it's been 14 years, and we still haven't seen Cartoon Network attempt a Toonami UK revival indicates that they probably seen it as too much of a risk, and don't have any faith in the fans to support it. I am glad Kix at least tried something similar.
I remember Jerome from Manga UK saying Super was turned down by CN UK a few years back. They seem to have washed their hands of the more action oriented shows they aired in the past, which is a shame as Super airing on there would have been a huge deal. At least it eventually did air on Pop.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:27 pm

Good thing they did reject it. Because CN's ratings are in the pits.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:00 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:27 pm Good thing they did reject it. Because CN's ratings are in the pits.
Didn't realise their ratings had gone bad. Guess I shouldn't be surprised given their direction in recent years. I just can't help wondering if Super could have turned things around for them, and encouraged them to go back to action shows and other anime.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:58 pm

Super definitely would have helped Cartoon Network's ratings, the show has been a monstrous success around the world. Honestly I think CN UK airing Super would have been a miracle as is, but to see more anime or action shows on there would be nice too, even just for Super to not feel out of place with everything else they have to offer.

Although CN UK did say in relation to Kai at one point that if they picked it up they would have aired the Ocean dub, so maybe the lack of an Ocean Super dub had something to do with their decision?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:43 pm

I'm still quite happy with Pop and how they've handled the show. I wish Pretty Cure and One Piece aired too!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:54 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:58 pm
Although CN UK did say in relation to Kai at one point that if they picked it up they would have aired the Ocean dub, so maybe the lack of an Ocean Super dub had something to do with their decision?
I kind of wish Ocean would just dub Dragon Ball Super
tbh.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:09 pm

Why would they? They couldnt even release Kai...

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:13 pm

An Ocean dub of Super would be more marketable because Super is a more recent show with modern animation. Kai is a tough sell nowadays because a lot of companies just see it as a recut version of Z masquerading as a new show.

I guess CN UK could have commissioned an Ocean Super dub if they really wanted one, but I doubt they'd want to invest in it when they can carry on funding their original cartoons, which will generate them royalties.

Sadly, we live in a world where business decisions are not always made to serve the fans.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:47 pm

I think there is hope still for Ocean Kai. Warner Channel recently licensed and is airing Kai in Latin America.

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:02 pm

Not sure if it’s already been posted but recently saw this video about dbz in the uk

https://youtu.be/vgjbKKGehPg

Goes into pretty good detail with some great editing :)

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:31 am

Ocean is better than funi and I'm just kinda tired of funi either way so that'd be nice.

Two things burned into my memory are:
A promo they did marketing two back to back EPs of the cell games every day in a WWE style where the VO said “the cell games for one whole hour on Dragonball Zeeee!”

And they occasionally did marathons but one time they did a text marathon where you could send in what you yanks call an SMS I think and it'd display on the screen. It wasn't well moderated because someone texted in:
“ I LIKE BULMA I'D LICK HER UP AND DOWN” Or something like that.
I texted in something more normal and it never came up. I left the room and my sister was like “quick they are showing your message” so I ran in and she was like “haha jk" I remember being mad they wouldn't show my smart text but did show the bulma one. Haha I wonder who moderated that if anyone...
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:25 am

Lightningexpose wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:02 pm Not sure if it’s already been posted but recently saw this video about dbz in the uk

https://youtu.be/vgjbKKGehPg

Goes into pretty good detail with some great editing :)
Glad to see there are still fans out there trying to preserve the Westwood and Blue Water dubs. I can't stand the fact there are hoarders for this stuff though. The superiority complex some of them have is so childish and it gives a lot of people the wrong impression of the Dragon Ball fandom, but thankfully there are fans out there who are good people by wanting to keep this content in the best quality possible and share it with everyone.