Have you ever saw Dragon Ball to anime/manga as 2pac is to Hip-Hop?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Have you ever saw Dragon Ball to anime/manga as 2pac is to Hip-Hop?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:51 am

This may just sound like a nonsense analogy but I mean... think about it.

-Neither are really the best on a technical level but are known to reach out to a wide audience as they speak to people on a fundamental level and have stood the test of time for years after their inception. Trust me, Dragon Ball is huge in urban communities (knowing this living in a predominantly black neighborhood most of my life and being black myself)
-Both are very controversial staples of the 90's that popularized an entire medium/culture/community.
-The geniuses behind the works are known to be quite intelligent and modest... except Pac wasn't lazy lol. They even have almost the same net worth.
-Both defined a genre with many popular artists of their respective genres openly admitting to be influenced by these works

Now I say this as a Hip-Hop head, semi-core anime watcher, and hardcore Dragon Ball fan. You can also say Dragon Ball is to shonen (battle shounen, in particular) as Street Fighter is to fighting games or The Simpsons is to adult western cartoons.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

TheAmericanDream
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Have you ever saw Dragon Ball to anime/manga as 2pac is to Hip-Hop?

Post by TheAmericanDream » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:46 pm

They are both 90's icons, they both have released content long past their ends (death for 2pac, and end of serialization for Dragonball ) ....that's the only other thing I could come up with.
Now the question is, who is Biggie? Something like Yu Yu Hakusho maybe. Would One Piece and Naruto have been Jay-Z and Kanye or something. I love hip hop and Dragonball too, but this feels a bit like reaching to me.

MyStIc GoTeNkS

Post by MyStIc GoTeNkS » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:54 pm

i kind of agree and kind of don't because on a technical level 2pac is the best which is why he's considered the best, maybe not the best in terms of rhyming and lyricism but he's definitely still top tier in that specific attribute, meanwhile dragonball has major flaws

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:14 pm

TheAmericanDream wrote:They are both 90's icons, they both have released content long past their ends (death for 2pac, and end of serialization for Dragonball ) ....that's the only other thing I could come up with.
Now the question is, who is Biggie? Something like Yu Yu Hakusho maybe. Would One Piece and Naruto have been Jay-Z and Kanye or something. I love hip hop and Dragonball too, but this feels a bit like reaching to me.
One Piece can be Eminem because Marshall shows love to Tupac like Eiichiro Oda shows love to Toriyama and OP is considered better than DB on a technical level.

Naruto can be Lil Wayne. Used to be good but is bleh now and somehow is still popular. It also pretty much killed the original Toonami like Wayne broke up Hot Boyz back in 2001.
MyStIc GoTeNkS wrote:i kind of agree and kind of don't because on a technical level 2pac is the best which is why he's considered the best, maybe not the best in terms of rhyming and lyricism but he's definitely still top tier in that specific attribute, meanwhile dragonball has major flaws
Plenty of rappers rap better than 2Pac.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MyStIc GoTeNkS

Post by MyStIc GoTeNkS » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:53 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
TheAmericanDream wrote:They are both 90's icons, they both have released content long past their ends (death for 2pac, and end of serialization for Dragonball ) ....that's the only other thing I could come up with.
One Piece can be Eminem because Marshall shows love to Tupac like Eiichiro Oda shows love to Toriyama and OP is considered better than DB on a technical level.

Naruto can be Lil Wayne. Used to be good but is bleh now and somehow is still popular. It also pretty much killed the original Toonami like Wayne broke up Hot Boyz back in 2001.
MyStIc GoTeNkS wrote:i kind of agree and kind of don't because on a technical level 2pac is the best which is why he's considered the best, maybe not the best in terms of rhyming and lyricism but he's definitely still top tier in that specific attribute, meanwhile dragonball has major flaws
maybe in one aspect but overall 2pac top tier

for instance its like saying a certain anime is better than a critically acclaimed anime because the character interaction is better but the story is lacking and the animation is bad, this is what most people mean when they say someone raps better than 2pac. it's always a single aspect they're singling out and not just being a rapper in general. 2pac was a great performer, wrote intricate complex songs with ease in minutes, made some of the catchiest hooks ever, knows how to make club bangers, deep songs, gangster songs, romantic songs, etc and they were all considered good whereas someone like eminem or nas struggles to make something that would pop off in a strip club or something. When people say 2pac is the best its because just about every aspect of rapping you could think of he knocked out of the park.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:35 pm

I've never viewed this in such a manner but it's certainly an acceptable view. From what I recall, 2pac was a huge icon and DB is definitely an icon anime.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:51 am

No I disagree. Tupac wasn't even the best rapper of all time which was already acknowledged. He was one of the most confusing figures of his time. Talking about how he loves his mother in one song, telling woman to keep their heads up and how things will be ok in another song, then turning around and belittling them in another song and going to jail for sexual assault the next, leading to get bailed out by the devil himself and taking his money. He was a walking contradiction.

His lyrics weren't nearly as good as Biggie's. Hell, even other more 90s guys like big punisher and big L had better lyrics. Tupac had charisma and talked about political issues affecting the black community through his songs, and that's why people liked him. He wasn't even highly regarded while he was alive, it was only after he was murdered where he became internationally famous and a God to some people, which I'll never understand.

So no, I never connected dragonball's success to tupac, but I hear what you're saying.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:15 am

omaro34 wrote:No I disagree. Tupac wasn't even the best rapper of all time which was already acknowledged. He was one of the most confusing figures of his time. Talking about how he loves his mother in one song, telling woman to keep their heads up and how things will be ok in another song, then turning around and belittling them in another song and going to jail for sexual assault the next, leading to get bailed out by the devil himself and taking his money. He was a walking contradiction.
While I do agree with this for the most part, it's unfair to compare 2Pacalypse Now-Me Against The World 2Pac, to Death Row 2Pac. He really was a different person (and his music got worse :P ). Also the Sexual assault case is really iffy.
His lyrics weren't nearly as good as Biggie's. Hell, even other more 90s guys like big punisher and big L had better lyrics. Tupac had charisma and talked about political issues affecting the black community through his songs, and that's why people liked him. He wasn't even highly regarded while he was alive, it was only after he was murdered where he became internationally famous and a God to some people, which I'll never understand.
While this is just inaccurate. Me Against The World was highly regarded before his death, and All Eyez On Me was a huge commercial hit before his death, (even though it's his worst album next to S4MN). Yeah, like Biggie, his death really did make him even bigger, but let's not act like he wasn't a huge star before hand.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Juub
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Juub » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:41 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
TheAmericanDream wrote:
Sure according to you. There's no such thing as best rapper of all time. This silly notion of an art form having a being better than everyone at it is just that, silly.
omaro34 wrote:No I disagree. Tupac wasn't even the best rapper of all time which was already acknowledged. He was one of the most confusing figures of his time. Talking about how he loves his mother in one song, telling woman to keep their heads up and how things will be ok in another song, then turning around and belittling them in another song and going to jail for sexual assault the next, leading to get bailed out by the devil himself and taking his money. He was a walking contradiction.
Which is irrelevant to his rapping abilities.
Define what makes good lyrics. Also bullshit, he was highly regarded while alive. How old are you exactly?

Also 2Pac had charisma and talked about issues affecting the black community huh? Like he was the first one to do that.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:23 am

Juub wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
TheAmericanDream wrote:
Sure according to you. There's no such thing as best rapper of all time. This silly notion of an art form having a being better than everyone at it is just that, silly.
Which is irrelevant to his rapping abilities.
Define what makes good lyrics. Also bullshit, he was highly regarded while alive. How old are you exactly?

Also 2Pac had charisma and talked about issues affecting the black community huh? Like he was the first one to do that.
He was well known while he was alive but not to the extent after he passed away. He wasn't extremely internationally famous while he was alive either, only in the states. He was in several movies some as the main lead which helped his fame. And I'm old enough, I've been around the block. Trust me. And lyrically those guys I mentioned had better rhymes.

You obviously didn't read my full comment with your last sentence. I said he spoke to the general public about the plagues facing the black community through his songs, and yes he was one of the first to do it brilliantly.

This is getting out of topic too. I don't care much for him like many do. I think he's overrated. And if you're offended by that its my opinion. He was a walking contradiction.

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Juub
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Juub » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:43 am

omaro34 wrote: He was well known while he was alive but not to the extent after he passed away. He wasn't extremely internationally famous while he was alive either, only in the states. He was in several movies some as the main lead which helped his fame. And I'm old enough, I've been around the block. Trust me. And lyrically those guys I mentioned had better rhymes.
Moving the goalposts. Went from "he wasn't highly regarded while alive" to "he was well known but wasn't extremely internationally famous". Yes there's a pretty significant difference there. Also, I don't buy it. Unless you're 30 or over you weren't old enough to know how big 2Pac was. Just to show how wrong you are, All Eyez on Me was charting internationally before 2Pac died. Did dying make him more famous? Yes. Was he the most famous rapper on the planet before his death? Yes.

Lol those guys had better rhymes? Because lyrics are all just about rhymes now? I guess all these bum rappers from GrindTime are also have better lyrics than 2Pac because they have better "rhymes".
You obviously didn't read my full comment with your last sentence. I said he spoke to the general public about the plagues facing the black community through his songs, and yes he was one of the first to do it brilliantly.
Except guys like Ice Cube and Public Enemy did it way before 2Pac.
This is getting out of topic too. I don't care much for him like many do. I think he's overrated. And if you're offended by that its my opinion. He was a walking contradiction.
Overrated doesn't mean jack. "I think he's overrated". You're essentially saying you don't think he's as great as people think he is which is pointless, not everyone has the same tastes. Some might say he's the greatest rapper of all time, some might say he isn't. Nobody is wrong or right. Appreciation of art is entirely subjective. Same thing for DB. Saying it sucks is one thing but doing revisionist history by stating falsehoods is an entirely different thing.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:26 am

Juub wrote:
omaro34 wrote: He was well known while he was alive but not to the extent after he passed away. He wasn't extremely internationally famous while he was alive either, only in the states. He was in several movies some as the main lead which helped his fame. And I'm old enough, I've been around the block. Trust me. And lyrically those guys I mentioned had better rhymes.
Moving the goalposts. Went from "he wasn't highly regarded while alive" to "he was well known but wasn't extremely internationally famous". Yes there's a pretty significant difference there. Also, I don't buy it. Unless you're 30 or over you weren't old enough to know how big 2Pac was. Just to show how wrong you are, All Eyez on Me was charting internationally before 2Pac died. Did dying make him more famous? Yes. Was he the most famous rapper on the planet before his death? Yes.

Lol those guys had better rhymes? Because lyrics are all just about rhymes now? I guess all these bum rappers from GrindTime are also have better lyrics than 2Pac because they have better "rhymes".
Except guys like Ice Cube and Public Enemy did it way before 2Pac.
Overrated doesn't mean jack. "I think he's overrated". You're essentially saying you don't think he's as great as people think he is which is pointless, not everyone has the same tastes. Some might say he's the greatest rapper of all time, some might say he isn't. Nobody is wrong or right. Appreciation of art is entirely subjective. Same thing for DB. Saying it sucks is one thing but doing revisionist history by stating falsehoods is an entirely different thing.
I'll PM you and we'll continue this conversation. This has nothing really to do with Dragonball now but its an interesting one at that.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:28 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
While I do agree with this for the most part, it's unfair to compare 2Pacalypse Now-Me Against The World 2Pac, to Death Row 2Pac. He really was a different person (and his music got worse :P ). Also the Sexual assault case is really iffy.
While this is just inaccurate. Me Against The World was highly regarded before his death, and All Eyez On Me was a huge commercial hit before his death, (even though it's his worst album next to S4MN). Yeah, like Biggie, his death really did make him even bigger, but let's not act like he wasn't a huge star before hand.
I stand corrected on your last point. I should have said he wasn't as big as he was dead than he was alive.

Vegeta123
Banned

Post by Vegeta123 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Ha! What nonsense.

Dont compare a thug to a beloved show. The only good thug is a dead one.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:21 pm

Not really into Hip-Hop, so I'm gonna say that Dragon Ball is the Beatles of Anime. :mrgreen:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:07 pm

Vegeta123 wrote:Ha! What nonsense.

This is straight up racism.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Vegeta123
Banned

Post by Vegeta123 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:15 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:

No its not.....anyone can be a thug.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:25 pm

Dragonball isn't gone just yet, it's still going. It's more like, Jay-Z or Eminem. More so like Eminem because of his worldwide reach unmatched by any other person.
El Conejo Malo

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:38 pm

Vegeta123 wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:

You're just being obtuse.
Bardo117 wrote:Dragonball isn't gone just yet, it's still going. It's more like, Jay-Z or Eminem. More so like Eminem because of his worldwide reach unmatched by any other person.
Jay is better than Em.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:33 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Vegeta123 wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote: This is straight up racism.
You're just being obtuse.
Bardo117 wrote:Dragonball isn't gone just yet, it's still going. It's more like, Jay-Z or Eminem. More so like Eminem because of his worldwide reach unmatched by any other person.
Jay is better than Em.

He might be better, as is a lot of anime that exists that is better than Dragonball. But none can match the world wide popularity and cultural impact that DB/Eminem had and continues to have. Eminem has been selling out arenas worldwide for his entire career, and more than half of his sales are non domestic. Jay didn't have that all immersive, right combination of ingredients to become a world wide phenomenon like Eminem.
El Conejo Malo