Bizarre DBZ TV spot from Japan (1993)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

tokyotoybastard

Bizarre DBZ TV spot from Japan (1993)

Post by tokyotoybastard » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:09 pm

Does anyone know anything about this bizarre TV spot from Japan? It doesn't appear to be advertising anything... aside from the show itself that it. I did noticed that a couple clips from it appear in the Dragon Ball Z Super Butoden 2 Super Famicom commercial.

If anyone has more information, please leave it in the comments here and/or on the YouTube video. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-PLgcAqLZk&t=2

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Re: Bizarre DBZ TV spot from Japan (1993)

Post by DBZimran » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:49 pm

It does have a similiar feel to the Super Butoden 2 commercial. Especially with the mountain terrain and the explosives in the background. Does anyone know the song that is playing in this bizzare TV spot? Also how did you come across this TV spot again?

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:54 am

it's a bonus in the japanese Dragon Box a 3d clip

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:12 am

This is the "Hyper Dragon Ball" anime, created for an exhibition across Japan in 1993. It's a feature showcasing traditional 2D animation (some taken directly from the show and movies) mixed in with all-new 3D animation. The CG was done on the Silicon Graphics-brand Indigo Elan (quite advanced for its day). The production took three months to create.

There's a brief one-page feature on it in Daizenshuu 5, and it was included as a bonus on the second DBZ Dragon Box set in 2003.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:06 pm

Was it any good?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:42 pm

I've always wondered if there has been a full version or at least a name associated with the song used in that video.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

tokyotoybastard

Post by tokyotoybastard » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:30 am

VegettoEX wrote:This is the "Hyper Dragon Ball" anime, created for an exhibition across Japan in 1993. It's a feature showcasing traditional 2D animation (some taken directly from the show and movies) mixed in with all-new 3D animation. The CG was done on the Silicon Graphics-brand Indigo Elan (quite advanced for its day). The production took three months to create.

There's a brief one-page feature on it in Daizenshuu 5, and it was included as a bonus on the second DBZ Dragon Box set in 2003.
Thanks a ton VegettoEX! I updated the video's description with the corresponding info. Do you know if that clip was the only animation produced? Or where it was specifically shown? And especially who performs the song at the end?