Original artist of the infamous SSJ5 pic?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Original artist of the infamous SSJ5 pic?

Post by _Jrinu_ » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:27 pm

We've all seen this before:

But lately I've been thinking about the original artist who drew this and started it all.

And I figure the best place to find that out would be here, where there are enough fans with enough information to find it's origin.

This picture is what began quite possibly the biggest rumor in Dragonball history, arumor that still holds strong today. (A search for Dragonball AF on google turns up 1,170,000 results)

It's quite a mystery, but I'd like to find the artist that began all of this.

This coud turn out to be quite the fun project if everyone gets into it.

So, does anyone have information that's useful?

Like, When this picture first appeared on the internet?

or, What website it originally appeared on?

This could get very interesting.
There is no better combination in the world than Dragonball, Cherry Pepsi, and Cheez-Its. It's a proven fact.
The Super Saiya-jin Bobba Fetts: Gym Class Badminton Champions 2006!!
Wii Friend Code: 1134 6268 9135 3724/ Xbox live gamertag: Jrinu
Jump Ultimate Stars Code: 2534 9452 9303

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:35 pm

I know for a fact that its a Doujinshi circle, I just cant remember their name.

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:15 pm

The studio that drew it was Studio Tomita.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:19 pm

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi wrote:The studio that drew it was Studio Tomita.
I doubt that very much. Studio Tomita produced great stuff - the SSj5 image is not up to the usual standards.

-edit-
Image Image

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by _Jrinu_ » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Yeah, Tomita makes pretty amazing stuff.

The first time I saw that Gohan pic I nearly creamed myself. :mrgreen:
There is no better combination in the world than Dragonball, Cherry Pepsi, and Cheez-Its. It's a proven fact.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:46 pm

Well, the ol' site has an explanation of the Tomita pics, but doesn't really know much about the SSJ5 pic (which is clearly separate from Studio Tomita, as far as we can tell (note how the SSJ5 pic doesn't hace the studio's image)). Also, the pic isn't exactly what one would call cleaned up; if you've seen clearer images of it, you can tell that the character was colored in what looks like crayon, and the background is done in what looks like marker.

Other SSJ5 pics use old pictures the DB characters, but redrew them to be in their own little version of SSJ5. FYI, their SSJ5s had yellow pants, blue slightly altered hair, and had brown skin. From my memory these pics were drawn by someone who referred to him/herself as "tico" and could be found on a website that I'm pretty sure was named theotaku.com. But we're not talking about that particular artist, are we?

Now for my own little info on the subject: I remember seeing a series of dragonball cards that look like it could have influenced the "format" of the SSJ5 AF pic pictured above. The cards have a nice little border, with the character and the series logo in the lower corner. Maybe there's a version of the picture that has the artist's sig and all this time, we've just seen pictures that have had the signature cropped off due to rights or whatever reason.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:35 am

And ya, Tomita only made a few images, well after the AF rummors started. They didn't make the one in question, though.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:56 am

That's the style of cover artwork I wish they used for the new DVD releases in japan. The studio whos creating the covers for the dvds that are currently being released really...aren't up to what I'd like to see lol.

Studio Tomita for the win!

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:49 am

Looking at the thumbnail-sized one on the Daizex Rumours page, I can see an artist signature on it. Does that lead anywhere?

The picture in the first post doesn't work for me, so if it were a full-size picture, I can't see it to make out the signature and try and search for the name myself.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:59 am

I doubt this is of much help, but I believe this image began circulating shortly after GT ended, very, very late 1997.

So there ya' go. :roll:
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:54 am

The image looks like its scanned straight from a doujin. My bet is its been cycled so much in the past 10 years that no one has any clue where it came from anymore.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:21 pm

Looks like it's from a doujin to me, probably one produced after GT ended.
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:32 pm

Well, I've known that picture ever since I found out about DBAF. I agree with the fact that it has circulated for so long that noone knows who has made it. Either way, the clothing of SSJ5 Goku is strongly inspired by the clothing of Brolly it seems.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:30 am

Looks like it's from a doujin to me, probably one produced after GT ended.
That's not just from a Doujin, that's from the *the* Doujin that spawned the entire rumor. IIRC, it came out some time during GT.
Either way, the clothing of SSJ5 Goku is strongly inspired by the clothing of Brolly it seems.
IIRC, that's not Goku. That's his son to some demoness or alien or something. Can't remember the AF plot so well. XD
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:58 pm

Brolli's SON? *Looks at the picture* Eh, I guess I can sort of see that.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:27 am

Xyex wrote:IIRC, that's not Goku. That's his son to some demoness or alien or something. Can't remember the AF plot so well. XD
That reminds me of what I heard about what DBAF's story was from somebody that claimed to have seen it. I only remember a few details such as it being a story that takes place instead of GT. I think I remember part of it being about Goku getting tricked into a relation with some alien or something and... the part that I remember the best, Chichi blows up their planet(that stuck in my mind because of it being the part that made me go "What...?" :P ). I don't think that pic was meant be any sort of ssj5, yet that's what it spread as and helped create the longest and most annoying rumor ever.

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:48 pm

Xyex wrote:IIRC, that's not Goku. That's his son to some demoness or alien or something. Can't remember the AF plot so well. XD
It's "Xicor?" Didn't know that. :lol: Uh, from what I remember reading, Xicor was supposibly Goku's half god son. And Goku apparently was... um, raped in his sleep, in a dream, by some goddess?! :shock: (I remember believing that at one point. But hey, I was 10 and stupid. :x )

Riiight. I, uh, remember the character's name, since I use him in fanfiction. :oops: Great, now I feel retarded for getting so excited over the rumor 7 years ago.
Metrite wrote:... the part that I remember the best, Chichi blows up their planet(that stuck in my mind because of it being the part that made me go "What...?" :P ). ...
I'm not sure if I read that or not, but I'd also be like "Wha?" :lol:
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by _Jrinu_ » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:00 pm

Yes, I remember "Xicor".

Supposedly, Goku was training in space and this Goddess wanted to create a half god half saiya-jin which would be the perfect being.

Theres a fake picture of him that states "Who can beat this new guy?"

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:03 pm

_Jrinu_ wrote:Yes, I remember "Xicor".

Supposedly, Goku was training in space and this Goddess wanted to create a half god half saiya-jin which would be the perfect being.

Theres a fake picture of him that states "Who can beat this new guy?"
Oh yeah! I remember that! I used to wonder who that was... Uh, yeah. :oops:

Anyway, back on topic. I have no idea who did that DBAF pic, but the first one I ever saw was a better done (in my opinion) version of whoever the character is. (Goku, Xicor, SSJ5 or not, whatever. :roll: )
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by _Jrinu_ » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:59 pm

Well this "remastered" version of the pic is much better and I'd also like to find out the artist behind this one:

And this one is clearly goku. It's a much better version of the same design.