Original artist of the infamous SSJ5 pic?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:26 pm

I enjoy the little Kuriza cameo :)

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by _Jrinu_ » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:44 pm

I like how it shows you their interpretation of coola's first form. It's interesrting in it's simplicity.
There is no better combination in the world than Dragonball, Cherry Pepsi, and Cheez-Its. It's a proven fact.
The Super Saiya-jin Bobba Fetts: Gym Class Badminton Champions 2006!!
Wii Friend Code: 1134 6268 9135 3724/ Xbox live gamertag: Jrinu
Jump Ultimate Stars Code: 2534 9452 9303

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:18 pm

/reads translations Oh my god, Jrinu, you're awesome! /glomps J Guy :D
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:58 pm

So to sum up the answer to this topic: No one (at least no one on these forums) knows the true origin of that SSJ5 pic, but it seems to not be Goku at all, but some dude named Xicor from an old AF doujinshi. Also, the closest thing we've got to "evidence" is a little smudge to the side of the picture that could have been the artist's signature.

But on the bright side, we've found this awesome looking AF manga along with its translation courtesy of J-Guy!

So, now's my thoughts on said manga: I found it kinda strange that the beginning of it took place right after Goku defeated Frieza (yep, I go by that spelling, deal with it :)), since from what we know, Frieza's mom (who looks surprisingly like the female kaio-shin) didn't even act upon what she said about finding Goku. 'Course, maybe the author explains that part in later chapters of the manga...

Also, I kinda hate how the author included GT's plots into the story, with Gill and the evil dragons, pimp Goten, etc. I agree with MartianOddity that the only transformation I'd like to see (if any at all) is a SSJ3 Vegeta. I consider SSJ3 to be the highest transformation and just despise how GT made it out to be such an easy accomplishment for Goku. I mean, doesn't Toei remember how Goku was struggling his ass off to try to maintain his SSJ3 form?! The point of SSJ3 was that the form was too strong to maintain while alive, so one would suppose that any further transformations would just sap your energy even faster :x! :sigh:, I guess I should end my rant while I still can...
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:23 pm

I know its not Dragon Ball AF, but on the same site as the fan manga there's some Dragon Ball fan manga at http://www.toywarble.com/toy/jisaku.htm and by the looks of the site he updates the AF page with more pages every once in a while, so all the pages might be there at one point in time.
Also his/her web blog is at http://blog.livedoor.jp/toyble/?blog_id=1561384 and it looks like there's some sketches there.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:57 pm

Thanks for the awesome translations! Just wondering....why is the female supreme kai (lol, funimation) Furiza's mother? Kinda weird...

Also, that skip in the manga pages is weird as hell...looks like the author wanted to get the SSJ5 pages out. Never mind Broli and SSJ4 Gohan..

EDIT: lol, I said father :p
Last edited by fps_anth on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:04 am

I remember that AF site, but this is the first time I've really looked through it in detail. According to page 6 of the picture pages, the cast of Saint Seiya makes an appearance in the series. Cool! :P

Though I think the best part of that site is the "AF hentai". Honestly, can they get more pathetic? :lol:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by _Jrinu_ » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:16 am

veshira wrote:/reads translations Oh my god, Jrinu, you're awesome! /glomps J Guy :D
Not being one to take credit for someone else's work, I have to point out that I am not actually the one who translated those.

I found them translated a couple of moths ago, but I forgot where I found them.

(Guess I should have pointed that out earlier... My bad :oops:)

eh... I feel like a bit of a jerk now.
There is no better combination in the world than Dragonball, Cherry Pepsi, and Cheez-Its. It's a proven fact.
The Super Saiya-jin Bobba Fetts: Gym Class Badminton Champions 2006!!
Wii Friend Code: 1134 6268 9135 3724/ Xbox live gamertag: Jrinu
Jump Ultimate Stars Code: 2534 9452 9303

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:24 am

_Jrinu_ wrote:
veshira wrote:/reads translations Oh my god, Jrinu, you're awesome! /glomps J Guy :D
Not being one to take credit for someone else's work, I have to point out that I am not actually the one who translated those.

I found them translated a couple of moths ago, but I forgot where I found them.

(Guess I should have pointed that out earlier... My bad :oops:)

eh... I feel like a bit of a jerk now.
Hey no worries. Just edit your post to say that you found them translated. Everything's fixed then. 8)
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:53 am

Man, I've been looking, and no one seems to have a picture of that SS5 from the first post in a size that's taller than like 400 pixels. :?

I did find some fun AF stuff though. :P

http://www.gamekult.com/forum/lire_n254 ... 706_page1/
http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d64777780

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:25 am

You know what the funny part is?
Some of the guys in that forum actually believe in it. And they believe in that Akira Toriyama made DBAF. :lol:

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:22 am

Woah, those are some pretty good SSJ5 toys. And I always do the clothing SSJ4 trick in Budokai 3.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:30 pm

The "Saga" written with the MSPaint brush tool on the "cover" is a very nice touch.
Where's the beef?

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:39 pm

Godo wrote:
You know what the funny part is?
Some of the guys in that forum actually believe in it. And they believe in that Akira Toriyama made DBAF. :lol:
Still, that, *ahem* "SSj5" Gogeta looks pretty cool.

And by that I mean I'm digging Super Gogeta's alternate colours in DBZ3.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:44 pm

On the DBAF site with American Animation, I can sense some humour and unseriousness. "Bulma dressed like a hooker" as an example...

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:38 pm

fps_anth wrote:Thanks for the awesome translations! Just wondering....why is the female supreme kai (lol, funimation) Furiza's father? Kinda weird...
Um, I think you meant the "female Supreme Kai" as Freeza's "mother." Yeah, I think it's cool that West Kaioshin (or at least, it appears to be her) is Freeza's mom, and possibly... Xicor's(?)! It's kind of like, "Oh, I wasn't expecting to see that farmiliar face! :D

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:21 am

I never actually knew about that SS5 trick in Budokai 3 before. :oops:
I guess I don't usually use that appropriate alternate colour when I play as Goku. And I use Fusions even less.

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:49 pm

The fact that the guy has stuck shouen-ai and random hentai there is just pitiful, but I guess it's just a ploy for you to do something if you are unsatisified or bored there...
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

Kay
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kay » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:24 pm

The guy who made the "official site" doesn't seem to update it now does he?

And the Japanese fan manga is cool. 8) Thanks for giving the translated versions... J-Guy.

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:31 pm

The Lecherous Muten Roshi wrote:Still, that, *ahem* "SSj5" Gogeta looks pretty cool.

And by that I mean I'm digging Super Gogeta's alternate colours in DBZ3.
You know what, I always wondered why the creators picked those colors for Budokai 3. I mean, it's like they were trying to reference to DBAF. :?