Chris Sabat On the Big Green Dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Chris Sabat On the Big Green Dub

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:43 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkpzpNn99SQ
This was from a Year Ago & yes, I was the one who asked the Question. And had at 0:58 happened.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Re: Chris Sabat On the Big Green Dub

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:15 pm

I mean technically super saiya people is a Good translation
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:57 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:I mean technically super saiya people is a Good translation
It's not technically "good", it would be like calling Americans "America People", or French "France People".
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:00 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:I mean technically super saiya people is a Good translation
It's not technically "good", it would be like calling Americans "America People", or French "France People".
I think he meant to say "It's technically not incorrect".
Retired.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:06 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
I think he meant to say "It's technically not incorrect".
Yeah that's what I meant. Is "Say in" really any better, It only feels natural because we've been exposed to it for years.

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:09 pm

"Say in" is wrong, but pronouncing Saiyan properly as "Sigh-in" is the best way to translate "Saiyajin". Either that, or do what the Mexican dub did and leave it untranslated.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:56 pm

I don't know what it is, but there's something that really irks me when I see Chris Sabat and Sean Schemmel shitting on other dubs or releases. Something about glass houses and throwing stones, I don't know. I guess that with my own feelings aside, there is somebody out there who enjoys all of these different versions of the series and crapping on it is like... who the hell are you? Are you a big Dragon Ball authority? Your own dub has been shat on for years.

I don't know, I guess that I wish they'd be a little more neutral as a way to be sensitive to fans' feelings instead of throwing their opinion around so carelessly. Instead of being all, "Oh yeah brilliant," just say, "Yeah I know it" and say the freaking line.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:07 am

I think they should make a documentary about this dub and how it was made. I'm kind of thankful that it exists.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:50 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:I think they should make a documentary about this dub and how it was made. I'm kind of thankful that it exists.
That would be great, if only more was known about the production of the Big Green dub....
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:28 am

You all seem to be confused, "Saiya people" was never in the Big Green dub as far as I'm aware. They used "Space Warriors" and "Super Warriors" for Saiyans and Super Saiyans. Here's one example: https://youtu.be/7PUebLvy6hc?t=1m4s

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:41 am

Saiya-people was used in the Malaysian dub and that's the one that Chris Sabat is mocking in the beginning before he gets redirected to the "Let my child alone" thing.

Sean Schemmel looks like he's totally lost. He's like, "Oh, a French dub?" It's clear he has no clue what's going on and then still ends up joining in.

Oh well. I guess it's just me where I feel like they have no real right to make fun of anything Dragon Ball-related. Sometimes I feel like they think that they're the end-all-be-all Dragon Ball dub team. I think that even to this day, Chris Sabat doesn't realize that when people ask him to say "It's over 9,000" that it's because of Drummond's performance, not his own. Oh well.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:50 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Saiya-people was used in the Malaysian dub and that's the one that Chris Sabat is mocking in the beginning before he gets redirected to the "Let my child alone" thing.

Sean Schemmel looks like he's totally lost. He's like, "Oh, a French dub?" It's clear he has no clue what's going on and then still ends up joining in.

Oh well. I guess it's just me where I feel like they have no real right to make fun of anything Dragon Ball-related. Sometimes I feel like they think that they're the end-all-be-all Dragon Ball dub team. I think that even to this day, Chris Sabat doesn't realize that when people ask him to say "It's over 9,000" that it's because of Drummond's performance, not his own. Oh well.
He probably know's about the over 9000 thing by now, I've seen clips on youtube where he looks annoyed at people asking him to say it when he didn't even start the meme.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:18 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Saiya-people was used in the Malaysian dub and that's the one that Chris Sabat is mocking in the beginning before he gets redirected to the "Let my child alone" thing.

You just reminded me of Chris Rager, who once insulted the actors of the Bang Zoom dub of Super, calling them shit and unoriginal. He was being really unprofessional and childish.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:23 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:

You just reminded me of Chris Rager, who once insulted the actors of the Bang Zoom dub of Super, calling them shit and unoriginal. He was being really unprofessional and childish.
Source?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:29 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:

Source?
He posted that on Twitter.
https://mobile.twitter.com/ragercoaster ... 1096138752

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:36 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: You just reminded me of Chris Rager, who once insulted the actors of the Bang Zoom dub of Super, calling them shit and unoriginal. He was being really unprofessional and childish.
Source?
Wow, Geekdom had him on a podcast a while back and he seemed like such a nice guy.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:43 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Source?
Wow, Geekdom had him on a podcast a while back and he seemed like such a nice guy.
I expected better from Rager. Even when Schemmel criticised the Ocean Kai dub, he never insulted the actors working on that dub.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:43 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: I expected better from Rager. Even when Schemmel criticised the Ocean Kai dub, he never insulted the actors working on that dub.
He might not insult the actor's work but he's shown some resentment in his behaviour towards them. He once blocked Peter Kalmis on Twitter for no reason, scolded Kirby Morrow for using "voice of Goku" at a convention and more recently, got frustrated at a panel after bringing up the idea of Ian Corlett coming back to play Black Goku. The criticism of the Kai dub was also quite unprofessional in hindsight and totally unnecessary. He must've felt quite strongly about it to bother making a statement like that publicly.

I think it's safe to say he hasn't exactly made friends with any of the Canadian Goku actors, although he and Sabat seem to be on good terms with Scott McNeil for some reason.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:23 am

NitroEX wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I expected better from Rager. Even when Schemmel criticised the Ocean Kai dub, he never insulted the actors working on that dub.
He might not insult the actor's work but he's shown some resentment in his behaviour towards them. He once blocked Peter Kalmis on Twitter for no reason, scolded Kirby Morrow for using "voice of Goku" at a convention and more recently, got frustrated at a panel after bringing up the idea of Ian Corlett coming back to play Black Goku. The criticism of the Kai dub was also quite unprofessional in hindsight and totally unnecessary. He must've felt quite strongly about it to bother making a statement like that publicly.

I think it's safe to say he hasn't exactly made friends with any of the Canadian Goku actors, although he and Sabat seem to be on good terms with Scott McNeil for some reason.
I was aware of those resentments. I like the guy's work, but sometimes I think he needs to chill out and keep that temper of his in check. He should remember that he's not the only person in the world that plays Goku and that he wasn't the first actor to play him in English. At least people like Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill, Frank Welker and Peter Cullen never get angry at other voice actors for playing their parts.

It's Scott McNeil. The guy's so likable that people can't help but like him. I haven't heard anyone saying anything negative about the guy as a person. Most of the Ocean cast are extremely likable people.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:18 am

NitroEX wrote:

lol Who exactly does he think he is? Oh man, that's the douchiest thing I've ever heard. Yes, Sean, you're the one and only voice of Goku. Way to be a tool. Insecurities are a bitch.

For the record, I think Ian James Corlett can "Goku" circles around him. I would put Sean over Peter Kelamis, but Kirby Morrow wasn't even really bad -- he sounded fine. I might put him right up there with Sean.

I don't know what Mr. Schemmel is getting so hot over.

But yeah, they need to stop with that crap. Because as far as I'm concerned, Funimation aren't even the best English dub let alone greatest thing since sliced bread like they seem to think they are.

This is something that started bothering me going back to Kai. I can't say it's Funimation themselves, but the DB voice actors sure do looove trashing things. Yeah, they trashed Dragon Ball Evolution and it's all funny and whatnot, but there are obviously people that liked it. They're probably not fans of the series, but there's somebody out there that bought the release. But whatever. Then Kai rolls around and after years upon years of saying, "Wow, people really love our version of it! Thanks everyone! You're the best!" they turn around and just cover their old dub in explosive diarrhea with how bad they shat on it. And for me, it was always like, "Well you don't have to trash everything to promote your new stuff," because obviously there are a ton of fans who might feel like, "Wait a minute, you've spent all this time thanking me and telling me how great of a series this is and how I should support it... and now that you have a shinier new penny, you want to tell me that what I supported was garbage?" It's the same when criticizing other dubs.