Who, to you, are the main villains of Dragonball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Who, to you, are the main villains of Dragonball?

Post by jcogginsa » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:07 pm

Dragonball, like most long running shonen shows, has had plenty of villains over the years, but who would you classify as the main villains of the series?

the Z era is easy. Frieza, Cell, and Buu are the obvious picks. What about the others through? Who do you think are the other main villains of Dragonball?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Who, to you, are the main villains of Dragonball?

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:58 pm

The main villains are the villains of each arc. Goku doesn't have an arch villain like The Joker or Lex Luthor.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:06 pm

ABED wrote:The main villains are the villains of each arc. Goku doesn't have an arch villain like The Joker or Lex Luthor.
what about Arcs with Multiple villains?

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:12 pm

I read someone else on Kanzenshuu suggested the answer was Goku's insatiable desire for battle. Half the dangers the gang end up facing are either caused directly or indirectly by Goku's drive to challenge himself.

Personally I think it's the incompetency of the Gods:
-Kami was responsible for Piccolo Damiou's existence and was really the only one strong enough to stop him...but didn't bother to even trap him for some reason.
-Shin states he COULD take Frieza out in one blow in the Buu arc but just didn't care about mortal life enough to do so.
-Shin is also responsible for Buu being revived in the first place due to his interference with Gohan vs. Spopovitch.
-Beerus who should be responsible for destroying people who upset the balance of his universe happily made Frieza his lacky and used him to do his dirty work(not that Frieza disliked it but still) whilst he napped.
-He should also have tried to prevent Time travel since it's one of the worst godly sins so Cell should have really been destroyed by him...
-Zamasu was a villainous god who actively tried to murder everyone for little reason.
-Gowasu is largely responsible for not being able to show Zamasu the error of his initial ways as well as introducing him to the time rings before he was made a Supreme Kai
-Elder Kai hasn't tutored Shin in creating worlds even one single bit so Universe 7's mortal level is super low.
-Beerus conversely blows up way too many planets for next to no reason keeping that mortal level low.
-Beerus and Champa's little tournament spat ended up catching Zeno's eye and may have been the initial idea for the Tournament of Power
-Zeno is flat out genociding everyone for funsies.

That leaves what...Dende and King Kai as the only gods with any focus who haven't accidentally made everything worse?
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:29 pm

I read someone else on Kanzenshuu suggested the answer was Goku's insatiable desire for battle. Half the dangers the gang end up facing are either caused directly or indirectly by Goku's drive to challenge himself.
It's not a western culture superhero story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:36 pm

Freeza, Cell and Buu. That's easy.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:51 pm

Aren't you forgetting Vegeta?

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:30 pm

precita wrote:Freeza, Cell and Buu. That's easy.
What happened to the entire first portion of the series?

Pilaf, RRA, Crane Hermit gang, Piccolo Daimao, Piccolo Jr., the Saiyans (Raditz, Nappa, Vegeta), Freeza, Androids, Cell, Majin Buu

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:21 pm

At this point, Freeza might as well be considered the main villain of the series on the count of how he just keeps coming back.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:05 pm

Pilaf's gang, the RRA, King Piccolo & Piccolo JR.

I'm not sure weather or not Tien was a villain or just a nasty fighter in the torunament. He wasn't killing people or putting lives at risk so would he be considered a villain ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:27 am

The main villains, in my view are

1. Pilaf
2. King Piccolo
3. Frieza
4. Cell
5. Buu

Getting into Super and GT
6. Zamasu
7. Baby
8. Super 17
9. Syn Shenron

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:32 am

Pilaf > RRA > Piccolo > Frieza > Cell > Buu
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:35 am

Firstly, you can't add "to you" to this question, it doesn't make any sense. It's like asking "What color is orange to you?". Nitpicking aside, there is no main villain in Dragon Ball. You can't have a main villain in a series where villains are always dropped after their respective arcs. Even the two cases of villains that have had focus in multiple arcs, they have nothing to do with the majority of the world's threats.
Retired.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:40 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Firstly, you can't add "to you" to this question, it doesn't make any sense. It's like asking "What color is orange to you?". Nitpicking aside, there is no main villain in Dragon Ball. You can't have a main villain in a series where villains are always dropped after their respective arcs. Even the two cases of villains that have had focus in multiple arcs, they have nothing to do with the majority of the world's threats.
I'm aware that there is no Main Villain. That's why the title is main VillainS

As for your first point,
Do tournement foes count as main villains?
Do characters who turn good later count as Main Villains
Is Ginyu a Main villain or is his arc part of Frieza's?
Can non-Combatants be considered main villains?

All of these variables are dependent on the person

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:48 am

jcogginsa wrote:I'm aware that there is no Main Villain. That's why the title is main Villain"S"
That doesn't have anything to do with my point.
jcogginsa wrote:As for your first point:

Do tournament foes count as main villains?

All of these variables are dependent on the person.
As the ol' saying goes; "Words mean things." No, it's not up to the individual to decide who an antagonist is. What you can do is reason it out, decide who a villain is based on whether they fit the definition or not, and discuss the implications, or even disagree on the categorizations, if that's where you want to take it. I'd submit that the correct question to ask is "Who are the villains of Dragon Ball?", or possibly, "Which Dragon Ball villain has the most impact on the series as a whole?"
Retired.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:58 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
jcogginsa wrote:I'm aware that there is no Main Villain. That's why the title is main Villain"S"
That doesn't have anything to do with my point.
jcogginsa wrote:As for your first point:

Do tournament foes count as main villains?

All of these variables are dependent on the person.
As the ol' saying goes; "Words mean things." No, it's not up to the individual to decide who an antagonist is. What you can do is reason it out, decide who a villain is based on whether they fit the definition or not, and discuss the implications, or even disagree on the categorizations, if that's where you want to take it. I'd submit that the correct question to ask is "Who are the villains of Dragon Ball?", or possibly, "Which Dragon Ball villain has the most impact on the series as a whole?"
1. Yes it does. You were acting like I was asking who the main villain of the show is. That was never the question as you imply
2. And if people reason it out differently, they will come up with different answers. Hence "To you"

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:00 am

If the Dragon Balls were people, they would be it. They propel a bunch of characters to do evil or more evil and the heroes to be influenced by them. Like Piccolo telling Super Boo to kill every Earthling.

Second choice would be Goku, he puts others constantly in danger to satisfy his selfish needs and is a magnet to danger, although the later isn't his fault.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:59 am

Piccolo, Vegeta, Freeza, Cell, and Buu. Especially Vegeta. Before Piccolo the arcs didn't really have main villains, just a collection of bit-part bad guys and assorted jerks. There are other arc villains after Buu, like all the GT and Super villains, but I consider them to be a lower level for several reasons. Mainly because their arcs aren't in the manga, their arcs are shorter, and they've all had a far smaller impact than any of the five I cited. Those five are decently well known in popular culture and show up in pretty much all Dragon Ball merchandise, video games, etc.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:40 pm

Commander Red, Piccolo, Vegeta, Freeza, Cell and Majin Boo.

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:25 pm

The writers at TOEI, Toriyama when he's at is worst creativity level due to laziness, and THE FANS!

...oh, and DBE.

:P
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6