Sony To Acquire Majority Stake in Funimation

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Sony To Acquire Majority Stake in Funimation

Post by precita » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:46 pm

It's possible they'll fire Chris Sabat and all the VA's for Dragonball and decide their own cast.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:52 pm

precita wrote:It's possible they'll fire Chris Sabat and all the VA's for Dragonball and decide their own cast.
We already went through this gloom and doom nonsense when Fox was in the picture a while back. Enough.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:48 pm

precita wrote:It's possible they'll fire Chris Sabat and all the VA's for Dragonball and decide their own cast.
Doesn't make business sense, however they may be more involved in future castings of characters.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:00 pm

I think they'll fire everyone but Sabat and just let him do every single voice. You only have to write one paycheck that way.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:13 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I'm mainly hoping it means we will get some projects that FUNimation on its own wouldn't have been willing to take a risk financially, like a redub of the original Dragon Ball Z (and Ball and GT if Z was successful).

It may also mean another live action movie becomes more likely. As Sony are working on the Robotech movie they may want to keep the ball rolling with the money they will be reeling in from Dragon Ball and other popular anime titles.
I wish FUNi would do that. I really don't see DB or GT happening, but Dragon Ball Z could be possible. The way FUNimation can save money would be to reuse all the Dragon Ball Kai/Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters Voice Clips, redub the cut-out filler, Put it on the Dragon Box Footage, and Voila! The Perfect Dragon Ball English Dub!

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:43 am

WittyUsername wrote:I don't really see how you're coming to that conclusion.
That's what Western companies in general do, if something offends SJWs (everything does) then they drop it and go out of their way to satisfy them even though they'll never by any of their products.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:28 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
We already went through this gloom and doom nonsense when Fox was in the picture a while back. Enough.
Yes I remember that, people thought Fox wouldn't hire FUNi and do the dubbing themselves for BoG. Lol good times.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:24 am

To be honest if Chris Sabat ever retires they'll probably recast everyone. The old FUNI voice cast are practically dinosaurs at this point, and a lot of them have already been replaced or left, like Bulma's original VA, kid Gohan, Freeza, etc.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:55 am

So long as Gen Fukunaga is still in charge as CEO I get the feeling that very little will change in terms of Funimation's dubbing habits. Fukunaga has always worked very closely with Sabat who is likewise is also very close with many of the in-house cast members. Their arrangement since Kai has reeked of nepotism from the Z dub days but Sony will probably see no reason to step in and make any changes to that so long as the money keeps coming in for Dragon Ball, I doubt they'll see any benefit in redubbing old DB material either. They'll most likely just let Fukunaga continue as normal unless it interferes with their larger plans or loses them money.

I'd like to see them expand their dubbing budget for other anime properties and start using union level talent for dubs but something tells me Sony isn't going to be interested in that, they're more likely just interested in acquiring Funi's various anime licenses, potentially for future movie adaptations. They might also try to spread Funimation's anime business to other territories like the UK where Funi previously had little reach but I'm not even sure how that could work, anime companies in those regions such as MangaUK and Anime Limited already hold many of the same licenses already. Maybe Sony will just settle for TV and/or streaming dominance? It will be interesting to see what happens.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:50 am

NitroEX wrote:So long as Gen Fukunaga is still in charge as CEO I get the feeling that very little will change in terms of Funimation's dubbing habits. Fukunaga has always worked very closely with Sabat who is likewise is also very close with many of the in-house cast members. Their arrangement since Kai has reeked of nepotism from the Z dub days but Sony will probably see no reason to step in and make any changes to that so long as the money keeps coming in for Dragon Ball, I doubt they'll see any benefit in redubbing old DB material either. They'll most likely just let Fukunaga continue as normal unless it interferes with their larger plans or loses them money.

I'd like to see them expand their dubbing budget for other anime properties and start using union level talent for dubs but something tells me Sony isn't going to be interested in that, they're more likely just interested in acquiring Funi's various anime licenses, potentially for future movie adaptations. They might also try to spread Funimation's anime business to other territories like the UK where Funi previously had little reach but I'm not even sure how that could work, anime companies in those regions such as MangaUK and Anime Limited already hold many of the same licenses already. Maybe Sony will just settle for TV and/or streaming dominance? It will be interesting to see what happens.
It'd be cool if they managed to use union voice actors, but since apparently the pay Funimation gives its actors is low I don't think the voice actors would be interested.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:13 am

NitroEX wrote:So long as Gen Fukunaga is still in charge as CEO I get the feeling that very little will change in terms of Funimation's dubbing habits. Fukunaga has always worked very closely with Sabat who is likewise is also very close with many of the in-house cast members. Their arrangement since Kai has reeked of nepotism from the Z dub days but Sony will probably see no reason to step in and make any changes to that so long as the money keeps coming in for Dragon Ball, I doubt they'll see any benefit in redubbing old DB material either. They'll most likely just let Fukunaga continue as normal unless it interferes with their larger plans or loses them money.

FUNi pretty much are here now, we have the FUNiNow streaming and FUNi are releasing physical home video via Anime Limited now since they broke up with MangaUK.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:38 pm

Streaming anime isn't the same as competing on store shelves. None of the UK anime distributors are affiliated with Funimation, MangaUK might package the releases the same but that's about it. Jerome Mazandarani has even said on Twitter recently that the Sony takeover is of no benefit to MangaUK at all, only Funi and Sony benefit.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:51 pm

NitroEX wrote:Streaming anime isn't the same as competing on store shelves. None of the UK anime distributors are affiliated with Funimation, MangaUK might package the releases the same but that's about it. Jerome Mazandarani has even said on Twitter recently that the Sony takeover is of no benefit to MangaUK at all, only Funi and Sony benefit.
Anime Limited are affiliated with FUNi though, AL have been releasing and distributing stuff on FUNi's behalf for over a year now. Of course the deal will be no benefit to MangaUK FUNi have stopped sub licensing things to them anymore and thanks to AL distributing stuff on their behalf they've pretty much cornered the UK market. MangaUK are lucky that the big one's like DB and FMA etc weren't sub-licensed through FUNi, which explains why we just had yet another FMA:B re-release...

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:58 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Anime Limited are affiliated with FUNi though, AL have been releasing and distributing stuff on FUNi's behalf for over a year now.
They're still not a part of the same organisation. That's just a deal they've worked out that's mutually beneficial, they also sub-license anime from Viz Media and Aniplex USA among others.

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:53 am

Makes me wonder how much more of an influence will Gen Fukunaga have in his company in the foreseeable future? Will Sony continue to keep Fukunaga on board or will they decide to give him his walking papers? Wouldn't bat an eye if it was the latter.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:12 am

Choujin Daizenshuu wrote:Makes me wonder how much more of an influence will Gen Fukunaga have in his company in the foreseeable future? Will Sony continue to keep Fukunaga on board or will they decide to give him his walking papers? Wouldn't bat an eye if it was the latter.
He's making Funimation money which is the reason Sony bought them so why would they get rid of him ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:53 am

Why do people have problem a Fukunaga? I've been reading quite a few not so nice comments regarding him.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:38 am

sintzu wrote:
That's what Western companies in general do, if something offends SJWs (everything does) then they drop it and go out of their way to satisfy them even though they'll never by any of their products.
I have not seen any example of what you are describing. Also, "SJW" is a very broad and meaningless term. Also, isn't Funimation a Western company?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:41 am

WittyUsername wrote:
sintzu wrote:
I have not seen any example of what you are describing. Also, "SJW" is a very broad and meaningless term. Also, isn't Funimation a Western company?
Right. Let's not, please. Considering FUNimation's other bread and butter is fanservice shows, I really don't think anyone has a leg to stand on complaining about so-called "SJWs" and FUNimation's on-going and continued business practices.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:45 am

Will this actually mean anything?
Ok Sony has a larger share of the film industry so maybe they will allow for more cinemas to show some anime movies instead of limited runs but outside of USA, will this affect anyone else?
Will for example Funimation's app for ps4, ever be available on other places?
I know that Sony computer entertainment is basically separated from the rest of Sony but will Funimation affect other parts of Sony?
Will for example all of Funimations anime gain access to other countries?