Too late for Funi's Dragon Boxes for DB and DBGT and specials?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Too late for Funi's Dragon Boxes for DB and DBGT and specials?

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:54 pm

So with Dragon Ball making a resurgence, I was wondering. Is it too late for the Dragon Boxes for DB and DBGT? I mean, Funi had that poll a few years ago but never did anything with them. They asked about the DBZ Movies, DB, or DBGT getting Dragon Boxes and I even sold my Dragon Ball and GT season sets in hopes that we'd get the boxes someday. But now, all fans agree the focus is Super for Funimation. I agree and DB and GT's Dragon Boxes probably wouldn't sell - which is why they should just release Dragon Ball in two boxes and GT in one box. I'm sure the novelty of these releases would help Funimation make somewhat of a profit back.

And a little bit off-topic, what about the undubbed specials (2008 special, Plan to Eradicate, and Episode of Bardock)?

Damned
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Too late for Funi's Dragon Boxes for DB and DBGT and specials?

Post by Damned » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:35 am

I've made a few topics in the past asking about these same possible releases. My personal belief is that we will eventually see at least Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans / Episode of Bardock. As for the Dragon Boxes, I would say the chances of those happening are very low, unfortunate as that is. At this point, it would probably be better to do a brand new HD transfer, possibly with Kei's broadcast audio anyway. Funimation would probably be far more interested in licensing that, especially since it has been a while since Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT have seen a new release.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:20 pm

I don't think they'll do Dragon Boxes, but I think it's entirely possible they'll switch to using the Dragon Box video masters for streaming, and potentially for a box set or something someday down the line. They're already doing that with the FunimationNow version of DBZ(Not for the whole run, but for some of it. Apparently they're switching the episodes in a fairly random order, centred around the Boo arc), they already have the Dragon Box masters for GT for sure(That's the footage their singles and seasons were based on), and allegedly they already attained the Dragon Box masters for the movies at one point, so that only leaves the original series as far as them actually obtaining the masters goes.

As for the undubbed specials, I think they might do the 2008 one someday, Plan is highly unlikely. Episode Of Bardock is a maybe; I'd give it an even 50/50 right now, but I think it'll get less likely as time goes on.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:41 am

I think the chances remain low as long as new DB content is released cause Funimation will want fans to focus on that and buy it at release, if they have multiple shows going on at the same time then it'll lower the chances of high sales.
Robo4900 wrote:As for the undubbed specials, I think they might do the 2008 one someday, Plan is highly unlikely. Episode Of Bardock is a maybe; I'd give it an even 50/50 right now, but I think it'll get less likely as time goes on.
France have released Bardock and Plan to destroy the Saiyans (2010) so it's more likely than the 2008 one cause so far it hasn't been released out of Japan.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:22 am

Super seems very much like it's taking up the time of both Toei and by association Funimation, so I highly doubt it, especially with Dragon Ball being the least popular portion of the series next to GT (only from a marketing standpoint, at least GT looks like Z). IMO it'd be more likely for Toei to do a Green 16:9 Kai cut of DB that Funimation would then dub.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:41 am

KBABZ wrote:Super seems very much like it's taking up the time of both Toei and by association Funimation, so I highly doubt it, especially with Dragon Ball being the least popular portion of the series next to GT (only from a marketing standpoint, at least GT looks like Z). IMO it'd be more likely for Toei to do a Green 16:9 Kai cut of DB that Funimation would then dub.
I think dbgt doesn't look like Z in any way. Maybe story wise in the baby saga, but not anything else.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:51 am

sangofe wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Super seems very much like it's taking up the time of both Toei and by association Funimation, so I highly doubt it, especially with Dragon Ball being the least popular portion of the series next to GT (only from a marketing standpoint, at least GT looks like Z). IMO it'd be more likely for Toei to do a Green 16:9 Kai cut of DB that Funimation would then dub.
I think dbgt doesn't look like Z in any way. Maybe story wise in the baby saga, but not anything else.
Well I meant more in the sense of "big new villain, crazy big ki blasts, new Super Saiyan stage", stuff like that. While the opening arc tried to skew towards Dragon Ball, they rest is more towards the ki fighting of Z and GT is consistently marketed toward that angle as well.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:08 am

KBABZ wrote:IMO it'd be more likely for Toei to do a Green 16:9 Kai cut of DB that Funimation would then dub.
I'd love for them to do that. The original is already well paced (133 canon episodes) so it's not a must like Z where some parts were unwatchable (Namek) but it'd still be great to get an even closer version to the manga with a new accurate dub.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:33 am

sintzu wrote:
KBABZ wrote:IMO it'd be more likely for Toei to do a Green 16:9 Kai cut of DB that Funimation would then dub.
I'd love for them to do that. The original is already well paced (133 canon episodes) so it's not a must like Z where some parts were unwatchable (Namek) but it'd still be great to get an even closer version to the manga with a new accurate dub.
I would probably love that even more than The Dragon Boxes as long as the Green Tint is little to none.
I could see Funimation releasing new Dragon Ball GT Blu Rays (Slight chance of DVDs, but there isn't really enough market appeal now) and maybe the Specials included with the Dragon Ball Z Movies or Super (An individual boxset doesn't seem likely because they wouldn't produce much revenue). I would assume that the Dragon Ball GT will use the Masters of the Dragon Box that they used before and that they wouldn't call it Dragon Box. The reason I think they won't release one for Dragon Ball is that it would probably be better to do one after Super or releasing GT is because the Blue Bricks are already pretty good and the possibility of a new Dub or new Kai always looms.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:20 am

sintzu wrote:I'd love for them to do that. The original is already well paced (133 canon episodes) so it's not a must like Z where some parts were unwatchable (Namek) but it'd still be great to get an even closer version to the manga with a new accurate dub.
To be honest I found the original dub to be mostly accurate outside of a few spotty moments later on when Piccolo shows up. My main concern over a Kai'd DB would be the replacement of the Kikuche score, which to me more than any other part of the series makes that show and its character (particularly the use of the Mystical Adventure theme), and the fact that Nadolny has been replaced by Clickenbeard for Kid Goku. As well, a 16:9 crop would be an awful thing to see done to the show. Dragon Ball Recut is a pretty good compromise for now though.

Considering that Funimation has 5.1 mixes of Dragon Ball's lying around and the Dragon Box footage, it's entirely possible (as in, they would be able to do it, not that it would be at all likely) for them to do their own Kai edit of DB by editing the show, outsourcing some new/adjusted shots when needed and re-recording the inaccurate lines. As mentioned, pretty unlikely, but it'd be interesting to see how they'd tackle a Kai project, particularly since they at least seem to be more aware of fan reactions and feedback and could possibly put out a better version than what Toei have done with The Final Chapters, which Toei could then "dub" back into Japanese if they wanted to.
TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:I would probably love that even more than The Dragon Boxes as long as the Green Tint is little to none.
I could see Funimation releasing new Dragon Ball GT Blu Rays (Slight chance of DVDs, but there isn't really enough market appeal now) and maybe the Specials included with the Dragon Ball Z Movies or Super (An individual boxset doesn't seem likely because they wouldn't produce much revenue). I would assume that the Dragon Ball GT will use the Masters of the Dragon Box that they used before and that they wouldn't call it Dragon Box. The reason I think they won't release one for Dragon Ball is that it would probably be better to do one after Super or releasing GT is because the Blue Bricks are already pretty good and the possibility of a new Dub or new Kai always looms.
I think Super is taking up too much time and energy right now, however once it's all over it would be more likely for one to come out considering that Super is more willing to embrace classic Dragon Ball elements such as Roshi and a more light-hearted side to the story.

I would also take a Blu-Ray release of Dragon Ball similar to what the Orange Bricks got, considering that was using a 1080 master (although hopefully without cropping). Compared to Z, Dragon Ball got a lot better off IMO; the dub performances are better, the script is more accurate than Z's, and the original score was kept. And by the time Funimation got around to Brick-ing it, the remaster automatron was actually pretty good and, aside from the first two episodes, the cropping isn't all that much compared to the Dragon Boxes (and it wasn't to 16:9!).

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:39 pm

KBABZ wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Well I meant more in the sense of "big new villain, crazy big ki blasts, new Super Saiyan stage", stuff like that. While the opening arc tried to skew towards Dragon Ball, they rest is more towards the ki fighting of Z and GT is consistently marketed toward that angle as well.
True. But art style is distinctly different. I think Super on the other hand is closer to dbz, but I guess that's another topic.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:49 pm

sangofe wrote:True. But art style is distinctly different. I think Super on the other hand is closer to dbz, but I guess that's another topic.
The lineart is a lot like the Buu era, but you are right in that the designs feel more like the movies than the manga. I more meant the "feel" of the events and the events themselves that feel like things that could happen in Z. It certainly has a lot more in common with Z than the OG DB stuff.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:26 pm

KBABZ wrote:
sangofe wrote:True. But art style is distinctly different. I think Super on the other hand is closer to dbz, but I guess that's another topic.
The lineart is a lot like the Buu era, but you are right in that the designs feel more like the movies than the manga. I more meant the "feel" of the events and the events themselves that feel like things that could happen in Z. It certainly has a lot more in common with Z than the OG DB stuff.
I dunno about the line art, but noses and face shapes are very different. And yeah, Dbgt fails at the DB approach.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:55 pm

sangofe wrote:I dunno about the line art, but noses and face shapes are very different. And yeah, Dbgt fails at the DB approach.
I think one of the reasons (among many) is because it's set in space, which is a setting where you can't exactly just drive from location to location like in the first two Dragon Ball Hunt arcs. You have to take your ship and drive it through the enormous void of space first, where your characters can't exit the vehicle and have to stop off at an incredibly obvious location along the way. You can't exactly just "stop off in the next town and buy some Capsules" when in space without making the stop-off smack-dab in space.

As well, the arc doesn't do a really good job of fleshing out what the interplanetary aspect of the Dragon World is like. We learned so much about Earth in the first two hunts as Goku experienced them for the first time. It would have been wonderful to learn about what the larger galactic community is like, especially in the wake of Frieza and King Cold being killed and it being restored to peace. That sort of stuff would have really helped it feel more like the Red Ribbon Army saga in particular, which is where we got to visit places like Jingle Village, the Land of Korin, Baba's Palace and West City.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:14 pm

With Sony's recent purchase of FUNImation, would that make it more or less likely to happen?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:17 pm

Son_Gohan wrote:With Sony's recent purchase of FUNImation, would that make it more or less likely to happen?
Completely unchanged.

Sony likely won't change Funimation at all, aside from perhaps giving them a little more budget for their dubs.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.