Dragon Ball and dating experiences?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Dragon Ball and dating experiences?

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:38 pm

Has anybody here had Dragon Ball play any kind of role in their romantic relationships? How have people gone about sharing DB with their partners?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball and dating experiences?

Post by KBABZ » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:17 pm

While Dragon Ball isn't the reason why we got together (I can thank Ratchet & Clank for that), it can be difficult talking about the series with my girlfriend because, while she is an anime fan of things like Akira and Persona, she doesn't like many of the elements that make Dragon Ball Dragon Ball like the story and art style, and is particularly put off by the cruder aspects like the adult humour and casual Kid Goku pee-pee.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:29 pm

I've been able to share Dragon Ball with her by sharing photos of Goku and ChiChi or Vegeta and Bulma and she likes it because of how cute they all are though she hasn't seen any of it but has heard of it. :D

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:16 pm

Been with my girlfriend for almost 7 years now.

She initially didn't have a high opinion of the series, thinking that what little bits of the Toonami dub she saw was indicative of the whole series, source material and all.

Showed her some of the Abridged series, which at least gave her a tentative ironic enjoyment of the series. That got my foot in the door, and she agreed to watch from episode 1 of Dragon Ball in Japanese. She fell in love with it pretty quick, especially Goku's shameless, naive smarm.

We've gone through all of that, Z, GT, the new films, she read Jaco, and she's been keeping up with the ToP with me. It was fun going through the whole series with her, because she gave some interesting perspectives on things, provided amusing commentary throughout, and noticed things I hadn't previously. Her favorite characters are Piccolo, Lunch, Videl, Gohan, and Jaco. She has cosplayed as Videl once.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:52 pm

Yeah I made my exgf sit through DB and Z, twice lol

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:37 pm

My wife was obsessed with Sailor Moon in the '90s while I was equally obsessed with Dragon Ball, and we kind of hooked each other on "ours" over our relationship.

I think the first thing we saw together was "Battle of Gods" in the theatrical release, and she really liked it. Abridged was a great entry point after that, and once she caught up to the then-current update (and didn't want to wait for more), she picked up where it left off with Kai to the end of the Cell saga, then finished off the run of Z. She's mostly through original DB now, and we're watching the Super dub every week. (We watched one episode of GT together and kinda... put a pin in that one. Haha.)

It definitely plays a role! We make a lot of Bulma/Vegeta relationship jokes and references, pretty much every day. It's really cool sharing a fandom with your partner. Though now there's double temptation for merchandise and stuff. Much harder to resist. :lol:

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:09 pm

When I was back in college in the mid 2000s, I was watching TV with my girlfriend and noticed that DBZ was on Cartoon Network one evening. It was the Ultimate Uncut version. I was thrilled to be watching an uncut version of the Saiyan dub and made my GF watch the show with me. She seemed to enjoy it. Once we got to the Freeza fight, I made her start watching the show in Japanese. She broke up with me a few weeks later :lol:

I fell into a pretty bad funk, it was the end of the school year and I bombed one of my finals. I didn't know what to do with all my extra free time so I downloaded the entirety of Yu Yu Hakusho and watched that while hanging out in my dorm room on warm April evenings...ah memories.

I haven't tried introducing my wife to DBZ but it definitely wouldn't be her thing.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:16 pm

I made love to my girlfriend atop a bed forged from melted-down Dragon Boxes.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:59 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I made love to my girlfriend atop a bed forged from melted-down Dragon Boxes.
You win.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I made love to my girlfriend atop a bed forged from melted-down Dragon Boxes.
You win.
I don't know if I want Kamiccolo9 to be kidding or not.
Zephyr wrote:Been with my girlfriend for almost 7 years now.

She initially didn't have a high opinion of the series, thinking that what little bits of the Toonami dub she saw was indicative of the whole series, source material and all.

Showed her some of the Abridged series, which at least gave her a tentative ironic enjoyment of the series. That got my foot in the door, and she agreed to watch from episode 1 of Dragon Ball in Japanese. She fell in love with it pretty quick, especially Goku's shameless, naive smarm.

We've gone through all of that, Z, GT, the new films, she read Jaco, and she's been keeping up with the ToP with me. It was fun going through the whole series with her, because she gave some interesting perspectives on things, provided amusing commentary throughout, and noticed things I hadn't previously. Her favorite characters are Piccolo, Lunch, Videl, Gohan, and Jaco. She has cosplayed as Videl once.
That sounds really amazing! I'm not sure if my gf would like DB and since we've only been dating for a few weeks I don't know when I should show her DB, if at all. Would anyone happen to have potential suggestions for that?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:41 pm

So that's where all the Dragon Boxes went. We found the man responsible for insane prices on the limited supply of Dragon Boxes.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:59 am

MajinMan wrote:
So that's where all the Dragon Boxes went. We found the man responsible for insane prices on the limited supply of Dragon Boxes.
I admit it. I take full credit.

There's no aphrodisiac like the salty tears of angry fans who can't get their limited-edition DVD releases.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:02 am

I imagine a lot of women wouldn't like Dragonball because it's, "a bunch of dudes fighting each other" which someone in real life actually told me back in the early 2000's when the show was hugely popular in the U.S.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:35 pm

My girlfriend really tried, I give her a lot of credit. I showed her Dragon Ball and we got up to the Red Ribbon arc. I felt like I was torturing her, though, so I stopped. She's just not into that stuff. She likes cartoons from childhood like Hey Arnold, Rugrats, etc., and other than that, she likes different things. She doesn't put down Dragon Ball; I can have it on in the background and whatnot, but it's not her thing. I understand. I do wonder what would happen if I started her off on Kai, though. But she's busy person and when we relax, we like to watch different types of things. We watched Dexter, Shameless, Aquarius, and that kind of stuff. That's more up our compromised alley.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:33 am

Something me and my partner almost always bonded over is DB. We watch dub Super together weekly, and she's promised that once I eventually finish Buffy, she'll read the whole manga (including Jaco and Super)

Angrist Hand

Post by Angrist Hand » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:08 pm

A make the wife watch it with me haha. As long as I explain everything she's down

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:30 pm

I feel like I shouldn't, but I'm totally sigging this.
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:31 pm

CashmanX wrote:
I feel like I shouldn't, but I'm totally sigging this.
Mission Accomplished
Malik_DBNA wrote:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:34 pm

I tried to get my girlfriend to like Dragon Ball, but unfortunately I failed. She's more interested in shitty romance movies like Twilight. How I wish she didn't like that stuff. Dragon Ball is so much better.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:08 pm

I was able to get my ex to watch Kai with me back in 2012. Afterward, she read the Dragon Ball viz manga followed by the volumes of manga covering the Buu arc. She then discovered Abridged and got me to watch it (it had evaded my interest previously). We were together nearly 6 years, but it didn't work out. Our time with Dragon Ball remains as a good memory.

The woman I am involved with now was already a fan of Dragon Ball before we met, so we have always been able to make jokes and references together about it. She hates Goku, and doesn't get why Gohan is one of my favorite characters. Oh well.