Bulma Smoking?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Bulma Smoking?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:40 pm

I'm sorry for such a meaningless thread. But I was curious, when did she start? And did she do it on the manga? And on Super?

Her dad was a major chain smoker. Never seen without a cigarrette.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Bulma Smoking?

Post by Chuquita » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:47 pm

She had candy cigarettes in an early chapter cover...

Actual cigarettes though? I think I only recall seeing her with them during the Great Saiyaman episodes of the Buu arc.
Future Bulma I think also smoked.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:20 am

I always thought her smoking in the Great Saiyaman episode to be rather odd, and out of character. It didn't suit her.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:01 am

LordCrumb wrote:I always thought her smoking in the Great Saiyaman episode to be rather odd, and out of character. It didn't suit her.
It only happened for 1 episode, and then never again. I guess they realized it was pointless. Thank goodness they didn't show her smoking while watching the tournament.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:44 am

We only saw it in that one episode so maybe she was just testing a new brand for her father.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:51 am

she was seen with korin and roshi, smoking that stuff from that island
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:11 pm

We don't really know. Bulma likely picked up the habit from her dad. Kids who have parents that smoke tend to pick up the habit.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:25 pm

It didn't surprise me that Bulma smoked in Future Trunk's timeline since "smoking to relieve stress" is a common reasoning for starting/continuing the habit.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:25 am

She saw an advert which stated that the most handsome men dig women who smoke, and she was desperately looking for a man after Yamcha cheated on her...

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:25 am

Remember, that character was created in a time when smoking was still allowed indoors, and smoking was glorified.
El Conejo Malo

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:58 pm

Bardo117 wrote:Remember, that character was created in a time when smoking was still allowed indoors, and smoking was glorified.
Well yes, and Toriyama was a big smoker back in the day. But when I think of Dragon Ball I don't think of all the characters lighting up, it isn't a common character trait in that world at all.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:37 pm

I thought she look cool doing it.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:10 pm

I think she's only shown smoking once in the show but I feel like she does regularly for some reason. I'm not sure how she doesn't age if she smokes, though.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Atp23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Atp23 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:57 pm

There's the chapter 5 title page of the manga she has a cigarette. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/manga/chp-005/

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:57 pm

She prefers smoking the Saiyan kind of cigars

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:44 pm

Bardo117 wrote:Remember, that character was created in a time when smoking was still allowed indoors, and smoking was glorified.
The Buu arc aired in the 90's, smoking was heavily looked down upon by then.

This isn't 1962.

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:00 pm

Atp23 wrote:There's the chapter 5 title page of the manga she has a cigarette. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/manga/chp-005/
That is a plane with a Goku on it and a power pole. That is not a cigarette. Jokes aside, that could be chalk. It could be because that represents and older plane and it used a chalk board either in the plane or for making/adjusting flight plans or something odd in regards to representing the era... Could be a cigarette also though.

I'm assuming you mean the thing on her jacket arm.

Edit: didn't see the black and white image.
Last edited by Arugela on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:32 pm

Arugela wrote:
Atp23 wrote:There's the chapter 5 title page of the manga she has a cigarette. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/manga/chp-005/
That is a plane with a Goku on it and a power pole. That is not a cigarette. Jokes aside, that could be chalk. It could be because that represents and older plane and it used a chalk board either in the plane or for making/adjusting flight plans or something odd in regards to representing the era... Could be a cigarette also though.

First off, you have to look at the original title page of the tankobon, not the default kanzenban, which is completely redrawn. In it, she very clearly has what looks to be a cigarette in her mouth. However, closer inspection of her person reveals she has a package of candy cigarettes.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:58 pm

Yeah, Toriyama's not Oda, he's not going to have a 15 year old Smoke Cigarrettes lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Atp23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Atp23 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Arugela wrote:

First off, you have to look at the original title page of the tankobon, not the default kanzenban, which is completely redrawn. In it, she very clearly has what looks to be a cigarette in her mouth. However, closer inspection of her person reveals she has a package of candy cigarettes.
Oh where do you see the candy cigarettes, I hadn't noticed that before?