Dub lines and even aspects that you like.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Dub lines and even aspects that you like.

Post by matt0044 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:13 am

This goes for each one be it from the original DBZ dub (FUNi and Ocean) or the more DBZ Kai (The Final Chapters) and Super dub. Assuming you watch and enjoy any of them to begin with. Feel free to elaborate too.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dub lines and even aspects that you like.

Post by TheBigBoy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:13 am

Uh well, I like that the dub hasn't hypnotized the population into becoming psycho killers. I guess that's a good thing...

Really though, most of the things I like about the dub have to be qualified with a "but..."

The original Ocean dub is a professionally made product...but it's heavily censored (broadcast standards I know) and takes quite a bit of liberties. The Pioneer dubbed movies are great though. Probably the closest thing we'll get to a really good Dragon Ball Z English dub.

The modern Funimation dub, while I applaud them for trying to be more respectful to the original version and having decent voice acting nowadays....but it shouldn't have taken them so long to get there and while I like a lot of their recent recasts, I don't like any of Sabat's 800 voices outside of maybe his Yamcha and I think Schemmel's Goku is weak shit. And those voices will never get recast.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:18 am

"AND I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE A MILLION TIMES STRONGER THAN ME"

Also, I don't know why but one that always made me laugh much more than the Japanese counterpart was from Roshi in episode 3 of Dragon Ball. Where in the original he thought to himself something along the lines of "I don't suppose she'd want to see my shorts", in the dub he thinks "I can't give her that, the wheels fell off". For some reason that just cracks me up.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:37 am

Fizzer wrote:
Also, I don't know why but one that always made me laugh much more than the Japanese counterpart was from Roshi in episode 3 of Dragon Ball. Where in the original he thought to himself something along the lines of "I don't suppose she'd want to see my shorts", in the dub he thinks "I can't give her that, the wheels fell off". For some reason that just cracks me up.
That's a good point, a lot of the dialogue and delivery in the Dragon Ball English dub is actually pretty funny and it's a bit more appropriate place for Funimation's "punching up" of the script.

Speaking of that, does anyone have a link to that scene where Roshi is teaching Goku how to read and makes him read a smutty short story? I remember thinking the dub version of that was hilarious.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:42 am

TheBigBoy wrote: That's a good point, a lot of the dialogue and delivery in the Dragon Ball is actually pretty funny and it's a bit more appropriate place for Funimation's "punching up" of the script.

Speaking of that, does anyone have a link to that scene where Roshi is teaching Goku how to read and makes him read a smutty short story? I remember thinking the dub version of that was hilarious.
I'm sure there are plenty of other lines from the DB dub that were at least more funny to me as a Westerner, though I can't recall others off the top of my head. Overall I prefer the Japanese but there are some good lines in the dub.

Pilaf saying "my insurance premiums are gonna go through the roof" as his castle's being destroyed was another pretty funny one.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:06 am

I don't love this moment but it gives me a chuckle. The dub created two versions of the show - an edited and an uncensored version. The uncensored version has this exchange

Krillin: “Maybe a mountain lion drug her into this little cave.”
Gohan: “Heh, I wouldn’t want to be the mountain lion.”

For some unknown reason, in the edited version used for broadcast TV, only Gohan's line made it. It's weird and makes me chuckle.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:41 am

Note that I'm not that familiar with the original version, so I bet some of these are simply accurate translations of funny lines:

Dragon Ball
[spoiler]From the very first episode:
Bulma: -raising her skirt- "You let me have that Dragon Ball, and I'll let you have a little peek!"
Goku: "What do I care about your dirty old fanny?"
The best and most creative censoring of the word panties:
Shenron: "Tell me your wish! Now!!
Pilaf: "I wish to rule...-"
Oolong: "The world's most comfortable pair of ultra-soft... underweeeaaaaaaaaar!!"
Toonami ad guy: "Nice one Oolong."
The narration that sums up why Dragon Ball is so important to Z, although it sadly replaces the insert Son Goku Song:
Narrator: "Having been reunited with his old friend the Flying Nimbus, Goku once again embarks on his journey into the unknown. And over every mountain he passes, over every ocean he crosses, Goku finds continual delight in the simple wonders of a world still very new to him."
From the one after Goku leaves with Bulma from West City:
"Gosh, how sad! These girls must be poor. They can't afford clothes!"
Bulma: "Those girls are not poor, kid!"
[/spoiler]

DBZ Kai
[spoiler]The joke that gets King Kai to crack:
Goku: "I sold my car... for gas money!!
When Trunks drops the bomb when first meeting Goku:
Trunks: "Now I know for sure, you'll keep everything from going wrong, Goku. Mom knew it too, she kept telling me. If she didn't believe in you she wouldn't have worked so hard on the time machine."
Hoku: "Woahh, hold on just a second! So your mom's the one who built your time machine?? So that means-! She must be a genius, just like-"
Trunks: -points to Bulma- "Right, she's my mom."
Goku: "BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!" -falls over-
Goku discovers Saiyan hair:
Bulma: -after noticing Trunk's long hair- "You don't look that different Vegeta. Why isn't your hair all shaggy too?"
Vegeta: "A pure Saiyan's hair does not get "shaggy", it maintains the same shape from the day that he is born!"
Goku: "Huh! Whaddya know! I never noticed!"
Bulma: "...you never noticed you never needed a haircut?"
Goku: "Heh, guess not! I was always too busy with training for stuff like that!"
Bulma: "So oblivious."
Cell reacting to being hit with the Final Flash:
Vegeta: "So, did you like that Cell?"
Cell: "It can't be! It's impossible!"
-Vegeta laughs-
Cell: "My perfect form! I don't believe it! I can't be defeated! Not like this! Not by a Saiyan!!"
-Vegeta cackles-
Cell: "...no seriously. You truly are a fool. Have you forgotten I share Piccolo's powers of regeneration?"
The only time Chi-Chi being a mother hen has ever been funny to me:
Chi-Chi: "Is that who I think it is? Has my little man come ba-... dyah! Ehnnnn! Urh! Who are they supposed to be? Surely not my husband and son?"
Gohan: "Well uh... yeah. Of course it is."
Chi-Chi: "AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! Oh my sweet baby what have they done to your pretty hair?! Please tell mommy you didn't dye it!!
Goku: "It's not what you think, I swear!"
Chi-Chi: -crying- "My only son looks like the front man for a new wave punk baaaaaaaaaaaaand!!"
[/spoiler]

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:00 pm

KBABZ wrote:Note that I'm not that familiar with the original version, so I bet some of these are simply accurate translations of funny lines:

Dragon Ball
[spoiler]From the very first episode:
Bulma: -raising her skirt- "You let me have that Dragon Ball, and I'll let you have a little peek!"
Goku: "What do I care about your dirty old fanny?"
The best and most creative censoring of the word panties:
Shenron: "Tell me your wish! Now!!
Pilaf: "I wish to rule...-"
Oolong: "The world's most comfortable pair of ultra-soft... underweeeaaaaaaaaar!!"
Toonami ad guy: "Nice one Oolong."
The narration that sums up why Dragon Ball is so important to Z, although it sadly replaces the insert Son Goku Song:
Narrator: "Having been reunited with his old friend the Flying Nimbus, Goku once again embarks on his journey into the unknown. And over every mountain he passes, over every ocean he crosses, Goku finds continual delight in the simple wonders of a world still very new to him."
From the one after Goku leaves with Bulma from West City:
"Gosh, how sad! These girls must be poor. They can't afford clothes!"
Bulma: "Those girls are not poor, kid!"
[/spoiler]

DBZ Kai
[spoiler]The joke that gets King Kai to crack:
Goku: "I sold my car... for gas money!!
When Trunks drops the bomb when first meeting Goku:
Trunks: "Now I know for sure, you'll keep everything from going wrong, Goku. Mom knew it too, she kept telling me. If she didn't believe in you she wouldn't have worked so hard on the time machine."
Hoku: "Woahh, hold on just a second! So your mom's the one who built your time machine?? So that means-! She must be a genius, just like-"
Trunks: -points to Bulma- "Right, she's my mom."
Goku: "BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!" -falls over-
Goku discovers Saiyan hair:
Bulma: -after noticing Trunk's long hair- "You don't look that different Vegeta. Why isn't your hair all shaggy too?"
Vegeta: "A pure Saiyan's hair does not get "shaggy", it maintains the same shape from the day that he is born!"
Goku: "Huh! Whaddya know! I never noticed!"
Bulma: "...you never noticed you never needed a haircut?"
Goku: "Heh, guess not! I was always too busy with training for stuff like that!"
Bulma: "So oblivious."
Cell reacting to being hit with the Final Flash:
Vegeta: "So, did you like that Cell?"
Cell: "It can't be! It's impossible!"
-Vegeta laughs-
Cell: "My perfect form! I don't believe it! I can't be defeated! Not like this! Not by a Saiyan!!"
-Vegeta cackles-
Cell: "...no seriously. You truly are a fool. Have you forgotten I share Piccolo's powers of regeneration?"
The only time Chi-Chi being a mother hen has ever been funny to me:
Chi-Chi: "Is that who I think it is? Has my little man come ba-... dyah! Ehnnnn! Urh! Who are they supposed to be? Surely not my husband and son?"
Gohan: "Well uh... yeah. Of course it is."
Chi-Chi: "AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! Oh my sweet baby what have they done to your pretty hair?! Please tell mommy you didn't dye it!!
Goku: "It's not what you think, I swear!"
Chi-Chi: -crying- "My only son looks like the front man for a new wave punk baaaaaaaaaaaaand!!"
[/spoiler]
The dub lines that go over their head to cover up sexual innuendos are the funniest parts of the show. I recall one instant where Master Roshi is saying, "how about a puff-puff for old times sake?" but in the dub he says nothing sexual whatsoever while still making the move. That still cracks me up a year or so after seeing it.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:38 pm

floofychan333 wrote:The dub lines that go over their head to cover up sexual innuendos are the funniest parts of the show. I recall one instant where Master Roshi is saying, "how about a puff-puff for old times sake?" but in the dub he says nothing sexual whatsoever while still making the move. That still cracks me up a year or so after seeing it.
Yeah, the dub used "Boom boom" instead of "puff puff". Which still has sexual connotations as an onomatopoeia similar to "bang"!

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:31 pm

The line from Super Perfect Cell when ANY of his cells can regenerate him and they "remember his form".
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:37 am

A more recent one, Freeza's "prince of no one." I find that even hardcore sub supporters loved that line.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:35 am

Dragon Ball Z Ressurrection 'F' Dub :
Vegeta : I have been a Super Saiyan for years and now I too have a Power of a God
and
Freeza : haha your threats are as empty as your title all hail vegeta the Prince of no one

DBZ Kai Dub :
Gokū : you ruthless heartless Bastard
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:23 am

One line I always I liked from the Ocean dub is when Vegeta offered Goku to join him and he responds with "I got everything I need, I have my family." Or something along those lines.

While dub Goku will always be slightly different from the original, I think that line does suit the character.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:16 pm

nickzambuto wrote:A more recent one, Freeza's "prince of no one." I find that even hardcore sub supporters loved that line.
I still remember hearing that in a packed movie theater for the first time, and the entire audience reacting with, "Oooooooooooh....." :lol:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:21 pm

"To a Saiyan pride is all!" The way Sabat delivered that line was just...badass.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:37 pm

It was during the Majin Boo arc when Vegeta had become Majin Vegeta and was wreaking havoc at the World Martial Arts Tournament. Gohan questions whether it really matters whether Vegeta is being controlled by Babidi in committing such atrocities to fight Goku or whether he's doing it out his own will based on the long grudge that Vegeta holds against Goku. And then Vegeta says:

"Not to you Gohan, but to a warrior it matters greatly."

The line for me really subtly summed up the how Vegeta truly felt about Gohan personally. Even when he himself saw Gohan jump to the front lines against all odds against the Nappa and himself on Earth when he was child or against the Ginyu Force and Freeza on Namek or when became a cold-blooded sadist as a SSJ2 at the Cell Games, he ultimately just saw Gohan as a boy that conveniently had Saiyan blood him. He never really saw him as a true Saiyan.

This line works even better as it actually got foreshadowing as when Gohan was taking on Dabra, Vegeta was getting really upset when Gohan wasn't getting the job done, and even called him out for slacking off and not keeping up with his training and getting weaker in the last seven years.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:52 pm

I came across one in the Kai dub that has a lot of subtext to it. It's during Goku's fight against Cell, when he's losing the match:

Trunks: "What are you waiting for? Throw Goku a Senzu Bean-"
Vegeta: "That's enough, Trunks! You spit on your Saiyan heritage! Kakarot has neither asked for your assistance nor does he want it! Win or lose this is his battle and his alone! Do you honestly think his efforts have anything to do with saving the world at this point? The only thing he's fighting for is pride!"
Trunks: "But he won't be... he won't be able to keep this up!"
Vegeta: "No question about it. He's not going to win. Bah! It's an agony to admit this but, for all I've pushed myself to come within striking distance of Kakarot's power, he's surpassed me at every single turn! He has a gift! And still! Cell exceeds even his power! To him that gift is a toy!"
Trunks: "And you think we should just stand here and watch?! Do nothing while Goku loses?!"
Vegeta: "Settle down! You yourself suggest that Kakarot must have some grand strategy up his sleeve! Now we wait, and hope you're right."

There are several layers to this. First, it shows how little Trunks actually has his head wrapped around Saiyan psychology, despite his line in his third episode where says that Gohan taught him how to fight and die like a Saiyan; there's a clear difference between the battle-focused behaviour of a pure-blooded Saiyan and the more level-headed nature of mixed-blooded ones like Trunks and Gohan (at least until they first attain a new Super Saiyan form, of course). Second, it shows that Vegeta does consider Goku to be a Saiyan at this point, with the respect that entails (or at least as much as Vegeta can give Goku). Third, this is the part that actually clued me into what Perfect Cell's actual goals are; while he's still less interesting to me than in his Imperfect and Semi-Perfect forms, at least I kind of got an idea of what he'd do even if he were successful in defeating the Z Warriors. And fourthly, Vegeta's closing sentence shows that at this point Vegeta takes Trunks seriously enough to have stock in his guesses of Goku's "grand strategy", which will tie in to Cell killing Trunks later.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Since we aren't being specific, I've never fallen out of love for several of the performances in the old Ocean Dub broadcast before FUNImation launched season 3. It's a lot easier to forget how bad the script is when the delivery is so savage.

Elsewhere, Sean Schemmel's yell when Goku turns Super Saiyan underground in BoG is absurdly good. My personal favorite moment he's ever delivered as Goku.

Super: Krillin impersonating #18.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:54 pm

In the DBZ dub, in the scene where Bulma tells the Z Team that Cyborg 20 is Dr. Gero, Vegeta says to Trunks, "Curse you boy!" Sabat's delivery makes me laugh.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.