The "infamous" movie poster

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:26 pm

Hey I know that quote, That's from Men in Black!
http://dbz-man.deviantart.com/

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The "infamous" movie poster

Post by Dayspring » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:16 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:Does anyone know if this poster is even real or what its source is?

I forget the name of the movie, but aside from the DBZ and Fox logo, it's a real poster for something totally non-DB related. It's a gothic fantasy B-movie where demons are after seven "keys." All those bizarre symbols represent some mythological writing regarding where each key is located, and the eye is the eye of one of the demons in question. The circle in the eye is the gateway where the keys are supposed to placed. Once all seven keys come into contact with the gateway, a horde of demons will be able to enter our universe. Excellent plot killed by a low budget and absolutely no acting talent.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:44 am

With regards a dragonball movie, would you prefer for them to stick to the characters and plot of our current Dragonball Universe or something that focus' more on the spirit of the original dragonball show where we have different people hunting them down for their own reasons with a bigger adventure theme (kinda like a indiana jones or tomb raider type)?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:51 am

I think that, were it made, a DragonBall movie (series) would really have no choice but to stray from or be portrayed differently than the manga and anime. It would have to become more of a "martial arts/sci-fi" deal than the "martial arts/fantasy that it is now, in terms of setting and characters, in order to be any good.
I mean, aliens and all (Saiyans, Namekans, Freeza, etc), combined with kung-fu and ancient, wish-granting artifacts would make a decent action movie that people besides DbZ fans would like to see... but most likely not anything having to do with animal-people running around (or ruling the world), or anything of that sort. I know it's what makes Dragonball fun and interesting as a manga and anime, but I think that's the aspect that would need to be ommitted in any movie to be taken seriously.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:04 am

Straying slightly from itself is not really a bad thing. Some content would have to be taken out and some fresh stuff should be added in too. You don't want the EXACT same thing be told over and over. For example;
You could have some new event happening in the battle. This could help people who have never seen the series to go pick up the manga where the story was originally told and they could find the subtle differences. For the ongoing fans this will be fresh new content for them.

Say that Goku blasted that Kamehameha but didn't stop there, he decided to push upwards and pursue Vegeta. Vegeta managing to get out of the blast discovers Goku is hot on his trail. Vegeta then notices a nearby plane and shoots an energy blast at it hoping that Goku will change course and give him time to recuperate. Goku does the exact thing and goes after the falling plane. A kid sitting next to the window of the wing of the plane is petrified until he notices a red flash of light zoom past him. Goku then catches onto the plane and slows it descent. Goku is struggling as he's taxed his body to the limit with the Kaio-Ken x 3. He then manages to cushion the fall of the plane and then takes a breather but Vegeta (taking advantage) crashes into him and slams him into a mountain.

That scene is kinda like a homage to Superman Returns and Spider-man 2

I drew a screencap of it too.

So on the contrary. Things like this would make me welcome a Dragonball Z movie.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:34 pm

Neat. Is that supposed to be a Concord?

Anyhoo, that's kinda what I'm talking about. The chi-powered kung-fu and dragonballs and aliens are good and fine; but the setting would have to be "updated" to a more realistic, but futuristic (For Capsule Corp, spaceships and such) sort of thing.

Also, a movie series shouldn't go past the Battle of Namek, story-wise. Start with Planet Vegeta's destruction in the first film and end up having come full circle in the last, I say. Super Saiyan Goku and all, eh, good chaps?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:22 am

Let's just call it Capsual Plane no. 448 :wink:

And yes I agree that the Freeza saga should be the last movie because from then on the next 2 films (Cell and Buu) do not really have any link and it was supposed to end at Namek anyway. Much more emotional that way.

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:31 am

tarsonis wrote:
Maphisto86 wrote:Heh thank god there is not a live action movie by Fox. Remember the one in the late eighties *shudders* and think how bad it would be with Fox Studios as the helm... ugh I think I'm going to be sick thinking about it. :x
Think how bad it would be with *any* studio at the helm. There's nothing to say it would be any worse with 20th Century Fox doing it compared to someone else. Not trying to be pessimistic but I don't believe anyone really has any idea of how to do a live-action DBZ movie correctly. :\
The closest people I can think of who could do DBZ justice in a live-action movie would be Peter Jackson or the Wachowski brothers. And even then, I doubt they could keep it up past two or three installments. This of course also assumes that either party is even interested enough in the series to take up the project. :lol:
Arcuivie wrote:Ooo, I wanna see Dob Z.
My only answer to that is... ROFL. :lol:
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:15 am

I can kinda understand why Hollywood may never do a Dragonball movie, but why haven't the Japanese done one?

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:30 am

Japan's put out 17 Dragonball movies.

Stoney

Post by Stoney » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:40 pm

Japan's put out 17 Dragonball movies.
18 and the two specials. And of course there's the path to power.
Last edited by Stoney on Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:54 pm

I think he means a live-action movie. Japan hasn't released a live-action DB film.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:17 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote:I can kinda understand why Hollywood may never do a Dragonball movie, but why haven't the Japanese done one?
Because Hong Kong did one, and it frightens children.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:51 pm

Sebastian (SB) wrote:Japan hasn't released a live-action DB film.
I guess they know better.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:42 pm

......Damn right.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

MysticGogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MysticGogeta » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:42 pm

After watching the Chinese live action Dragonball movie I hoped they would never make a Dragonball Z movie ever.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:12 pm

How long ago was that released? And why did the Chinese do it? Isn't that like the Swiss doing a Simpson movie.