Would you change the end?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Would you change the end?

Post by KBABZ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:25 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Dragon Ball GT: Kai.
:twisted:
I've actually seriously considered making an edit like this in the style of T1C and Recut. It'd be an interesting project!
Robo4900 wrote:On a serious note, although I'm pretty conflicted about going past the end of Z, I think if they do it, they should do their own thing, and not muscle in on GT's turf; tell new stories, and come up with a new ending whenever it's decided that Toei's made just enough episodes.
Going past the end of Z is a good idea; retconning the end of Z is a bad idea. If they want to tell it from a different angle, or go into what happened right after Goku and Oob left in more detail, sure, but contradicting the events as already seen in the manga, Z, and Kai is a very bad idea.
I think it'd be cool to see some of the new generation like Pan and Bulla having a fairer shot at contributing than what GT offered them. I also agree that they should try and stick to the "canon" as depicted in the manga and Kai; GT is practically an Elseworlds What If? story like Online and Xenoverse, but I always got the impression that Super was meant to be what GT aspired to be in the first place and have a greater air of authenticity to it (Toriyama's involvement certainly helps with this).

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:57 pm

I honestly like the GT ending better than Z. Leaving aside the Goku/Vegeta Jr business, which is...shenanigans, it feels like a uniquely special resolution.

Whereas EOZ leaves a sour taste in my mouth. You can really tell how burn out Toriyama was getting, since every character except Goku seems just kind of...tired. Like, they're just going through the motions with only Pan's enthusiasm and the promise of Uub lightening things up. If Super wanted to change that up or at the very least recontextualize it, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:45 am

I've never really liked EoZ as an ending, always preferring the GT ending and even BoG as a superior note to leave the series on. It's not so much Goku flying off on a new adventure as that whole epilogue section feeling... just off.

Really, Battle of Gods leaving it on the note of "There are 12 universes, and many people out there stronger than you" does the same "and the adventure continues" in a much better, grander way, for me. A combination of that and a GT-style montage would be great.

On another note, if the series had ended after the Cell arc, I always thought the ideal ending would be to quickly establish that there are all these other amazingly strong warriors at the Grand Kaio's place and that the other world tournament is happening, and end with Goku walking out into the light of the stadium, about to start his first match. As he walks towards the ring he (wordlessly, with a look) picks out who is knows is going to be "the strong opponent" from one of the other teams and smiles to himself, and we get a callback shot to the 21st TB to round off.