Would you change the end?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SmugStick
Patreon Supporter

Would you change the end?

Post by SmugStick » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:53 pm

With the Dragon Ball Super Story well on its way, we know that it will have to match the end of the manga. However, there were theories that the ending might have been changed. Though we know this is not the case, what would you have done with the ending if you had a chance to change it? Personally, I love the end of the manga and wouldn’t have changed it. If anything, I would just remove the final panel with Vegeta in favor for the original. Maybe I’d add a shot of Beerus and Whis smirking at Goku as he fights Oob.
My immortal Phoenix died of food poisoning

Missions complete:
All Of Kai
All DB on DVD
Current Missions:
Dragon Boxes (Funi)
GT season 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8udQV ... 4GFPrFEPzg
Twitter https://twitter.com/SmugStick

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Re: Would you change the end?

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:30 pm

Do the GT ending with the big montage of scenes. Take out the GT scenes and place Super scenes. Also reuse DAN DAN.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:59 pm

I would have kept the end mostly the same, and retain the Kanzenban allusions to Uub mirroring kid Goku. However I would have removed the allusions to Goku basically abandoning all his friends and family by having a few lines along the lines of "I'm not going away forever!" or "I'll visit of course! We could even train at Chi-Chi's!".

Ultimately I respect Toriyama too much to even think about having a crack at changing the ending, since it's his story, and I like how it mirrors the ending to the RRA and 23rd WMAT arcs by having Goku depart the group. GT at least sets itself up better for its grander ending; there's no timeskip and there's a better-established motivation for Goku having to leave. As well, it's much easier for a TV show to take the time for all the goodbyes than a manga, since a TV episode can cover four manga Chapters worth of content quite comfortably, which for a manga would take a month to release at a rate of one a week.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:40 am

Uub is boring; I'd rather not have him at all, but if he has to be there anyway I'd rather he be older and a little more confident in himself. I'd like him less as Goku's student and more as a fellow marital artist who slowly unravels the secret behind his hidden power and discovers the history behind Majin Buu.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:11 am

I'd have the tournament last till the end with the final being Goku and Vegeta. They decide they need somewhere bigger so Whis takes them to another planet to fight. When they get back it turns out just 5 minutes past on earth due to that planet's time being like the ROSAT.

In terms of Uub, I'd have Goku tell everyone that he'll be in and out using instant transmition instead of just visiting every now and then. Everything after would be like the Kanzenban's ending which I think we'll get.

We get an after credits scene with someone in the shadows saying "soon my baby, we'll have our revenge for what they did to us".
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:24 am

Training montage of Uub increasing in age while demonstrating Goku's techniques in presumed sparring sessions against older versions of established characters. Imply future events but never explore them further.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:24 am

I think the manga ending is great; wouldn't change it.

Now that Super's changed the dynamic leading into that ending, though, it'll be interesting to see how and if they still try to give it weight. I had an idea before the current arc got too far in how that might be done, and how it might work even better for the added material, but that particular idea no longer seems like a viable direction (as it involved Beerus maintaining his animosity toward Goku and the two going their separate ways, cutting Goku off from all the expanded world-building).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:30 am

Maybe. It depends on what the story material I'm able to work with is. I really have no interest in Uub, so I'd try to skip over him as much as possible. I do like the idea of ending with saying "And Gokuu kept on fighting strong guys forever" but I also like the idea of he and Vegeta dying while fighting each other one last time.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SmugStick
Patreon Supporter

Post by SmugStick » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:48 pm

AgitoZ wrote:Do the GT ending with the big montage of scenes. Take out the GT scenes and place Super scenes. Also reuse DAN DAN.
I’d be down for this. I love Dan Dan, but I think it really has impact there because if it’s use through GT, so idk about it...

Missions complete:
All Of Kai
All DB on DVD
Current Missions:
Dragon Boxes (Funi)
GT season 1

SmugStick
Patreon Supporter

Post by SmugStick » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:55 pm

sintzu wrote:I'd have the tournament last till the end with the final being Goku and Vegeta. They decide they need somewhere bigger so Whis takes them to another planet to fight. When they get back it turns out just 5 minutes past on earth due to that planet's time being like the ROSAT.

In terms of Uub, I'd have Goku tell everyone that he'll be in and out using instant transmition instead of just visiting every now and then. Everything after would be like the Kanzenban's ending which I think we'll get.

We get an after credits scene with someone in the shadows saying "soon my baby, we'll have our revenge for what they did to us".
Referring to Baby? I like it, though I don’t see it working. I do love some GT

Missions complete:
All Of Kai
All DB on DVD
Current Missions:
Dragon Boxes (Funi)
GT season 1

SmugStick
Patreon Supporter

Post by SmugStick » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:56 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Maybe. It depends on what the story material I'm able to work with is. I really have no interest in Uub, so I'd try to skip over him as much as possible. I do like the idea of ending with saying "And Gokuu kept on fighting strong guys forever" but I also like the idea of he and Vegeta dying while fighting each other one last time.

As in Dragon Ball online? I love that, but I thinks that’s way too far into the future.

Missions complete:
All Of Kai
All DB on DVD
Current Missions:
Dragon Boxes (Funi)
GT season 1

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:05 pm

SmugStick wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Maybe. It depends on what the story material I'm able to work with is. I really have no interest in Uub, so I'd try to skip over him as much as possible. I do like the idea of ending with saying "And Gokuu kept on fighting strong guys forever" but I also like the idea of he and Vegeta dying while fighting each other one last time.

As in Dragon Ball online? I love that, but I thinks that’s way too far into the future.
I'm not sure what that matter. Just return to the past and do more stuff. When Dragon Ball ended in 1995 the fates of Gokuu and Vegeta were sealed, yet here we are now with new story arcs.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:08 pm

SmugStick wrote:Referring to Baby? I like it, though I don’t see it working. I do love some GT
GT has been getting pushed a lot lately. It's gotten a lot of content in heroes (Ssj4 Bardock is coming up) and merchandise such as figures which shows it's popular with fans so it's only a matter of time before it returns in anime form.

Weather they'll connect things to the current GT or remake it taking the new content into account remains to be seen. They've remade 2 movies to fit with what they wanted to do so remaking GT for the same reason is a very real possibilty. Not only will it buy them time to come up with real new content but they'll be able to truly reintroduce people to it and bring in new fans. They can fix what didn't work and improve what did.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:11 pm

I'd rather they not redo GT and just move on.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SmugStick
Patreon Supporter

Post by SmugStick » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:50 pm

ABED wrote:I'd rather they not redo GT and just move on.
Same

Missions complete:
All Of Kai
All DB on DVD
Current Missions:
Dragon Boxes (Funi)
GT season 1

SmugStick
Patreon Supporter

Post by SmugStick » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:52 pm

sintzu wrote:
SmugStick wrote:Referring to Baby? I like it, though I don’t see it working. I do love some GT
GT has been getting pushed a lot lately. It's gotten a lot of content in heroes (Ssj4 Bardock is coming up) and merchandise such as figures which shows it's popular with fans so it's only a matter of time before it returns in anime form.

Weather they'll connect things to the current GT or remake it taking the new content into account remains to be seen. They've remade 2 movies to fit with what they wanted to do so remaking GT for the same reason is a very real possibilty. Not only will it buy them time to come up with real new content but they'll be able to truly reintroduce people to it and bring in new fans. They can fix what didn't work and improve what did.
As much as I love Some GT (just baby and SSJ4) I’d rather them not revisit it.

Missions complete:
All Of Kai
All DB on DVD
Current Missions:
Dragon Boxes (Funi)
GT season 1

SmugStick
Patreon Supporter

Post by SmugStick » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:54 pm

[quote="JulieYBM]
I'm not sure what that matter. Just return to the past and do more stuff. When Dragon Ball ended in 1995 the fates of Gokuu and Vegeta were sealed, yet here we are now with new story arcs.[/quote]

Yeah that’s true. I just really want more DBO stuff to be implemented

Missions complete:
All Of Kai
All DB on DVD
Current Missions:
Dragon Boxes (Funi)
GT season 1

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:00 pm

I would get rid of Oob. He really adds nothing to the story, even if I like him. Instead I would have Goku just live with his family, add the GT montage, and maybe change a couple of the character designs. Other then that, keep it the same.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:55 am

I wouldn’t change the ending at all. Probably the 5 years line if it doesn’t work out and maybe include Beerus & Whis in there or maybe just add a line about them like “Have you been training with Whis these last few years?” or something like that. I would like it if Gokuh and Oob were flying away then suddenly Beerus and Whis appear infront of them and Gokuh tells them he’s training Oob or something. Other then that, it’s perfectly fine. Super doesn’t do anything to it except the anime version of it of course

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:46 pm

No. Don't change the end. Finish Super with a recap of that whole ending bit of Z, and imply that there's more to come.

Then, we get into the new series...
Dragon Ball GT: Kai.
:twisted:

On a serious note, although I'm pretty conflicted about going past the end of Z, I think if they do it, they should do their own thing, and not muscle in on GT's turf; tell new stories, and come up with a new ending whenever it's decided that Toei's made just enough episodes.
Going past the end of Z is a good idea; retconning the end of Z is a bad idea. If they want to tell it from a different angle, or go into what happened right after Goku and Oob left in more detail, sure, but contradicting the events as already seen in the manga, Z, and Kai is a very bad idea.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.