Who do you think is the worst character in Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Who do you think is the worst character in Dragon Ball?

Post by MajinMan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Pretty simple topic. No dub vs sub, Faulconer debates, or super hero story comparisons, but there may be some grinding of the gears.

I think the worst character in the series is Puer. Seriously, how bland can a character get? If you name all the small side characters like Oolong, Chiaotzu, or Yajirobe alongside him, they all stand out. Chiaotzu is the closest one to being as bland as Puer, but he was at least funny in his debut arc with his counting gimmick. Puer has nothing. All he (or she) ever does is praise Yamcha and follow him around. He has no fun gimmick (literally copied Oolong), has no personality of his own other than "Yamucha-sama! You're so cool!" He's dead weight. The only time he has ever been his own man was when he helped Upa fight the Dracula guy.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Who do you think is the worst character in Dragon Ball?

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:21 pm

Pu'er is totally inoffensive, though, and has some touching moments with Yamcha.

"Worst" is probably Toei!Blue (but <3 Furukawa).

But worst original manga character? I... can't really think of anyone. The "worst" I can get are other inoffensive characters. There are characters that I don't like, but that doesn't make them "OMG WORST EVAR1".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:23 pm

Worst in the franchise as a whole? Dolltaki beyond a doubt. Jesus, what a creeper. I felt really uncomfortable watching those episodes.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:31 pm

I don't know. Some of the third tier main characters are pointless but they're inoffensive.

Ox King, Puar, Turtle, etc. But I have no real strong opinion on them so it doesn't matter. Even Chiaotzu at least gives Tenshinhan some emotional weight and character to interact with.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:40 pm

There are none that I hate, but first one to come to mind is someone like Panput. He's completely underwhelming - but then that's kind of the purpose of his character to begin with. Still wish Upa would've been a Tenka'ichi Budôkai contestant instead, though.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:06 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned Videogame Broly. The mysterious bonus boss who's always stronger than every character...for the sake of having a bonus boss that's stronger than everyone else. The fact that he does get definitively defeated 3 times in the movies makes it especially egregious.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:22 pm

It's a tie between Yajirobe and adult Chi-Chi for me. Both are incredibly annoying, critical, condescending and have a huge failure to have any sympathy for characters they really should care more about.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:02 pm

Oh definitely Pan. No character was ever worse than Pan.

Maybe you could make some argument that another character was worse (like Dolltaki) but the thing is those characters may have only appeared in an episode of two. Pan was a major character who ruined the show. GT would have been bad regardless but Pan was one of the reasons why that show was so bad.

Puar is a boring character, she's like a potted plant, she's just there of no importance all but she never brought the show down.

Pan is the only character in the franchise that is responsible for bringing a show as a whole down.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:09 pm

I can tell I am not going to be happy with where this topic might go.

I wasn’t the biggest fan of Nappa but strong muscular kind of dumb character have never been my thing. But I am sure every character has their worth so just because I don’t like a character doesn’t mean they aren’t a worthy character.

Actually Nappa reminds me of someone from Wrestling so I guess I can see the appeal but also why he wouldn’t appeal to me.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:20 pm

Imagine not liking Yajirobe.

Anyway, it's a tie between oh...most of the movie villains.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:24 pm

Kinokima wrote:I can tell I am not going to be happy with where this topic might go.

I wasn’t the biggest fan of Nappa but strong muscular kind of dumb character have never been my thing. But I am sure every character has their worth so just because I don’t like a character doesn’t mean they aren’t a worthy character.

Actually Nappa reminds me of someone from Wrestling so I guess I can see the appeal but also why he wouldn’t appeal to me.
Nappa wouldn't work without some extra fleshing out, but he worked pretty well as a contrast and slight foil to Vegeta. Nappa was big, brutish, strong and easily capable of losing his temper, while Vegeta is small, calculative and cunning... which is why it's a surprise that he's actually the stronger of the two.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:32 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Kinokima wrote:I can tell I am not going to be happy with where this topic might go.

Nappa wouldn't work without some extra fleshing out, but he worked pretty well as a contrast and slight foil to Vegeta. Nappa was big, brutish, strong and easily capable of losing his temper, while Vegeta is small, calculative and cunning... which is why it's a surprise that he's actually the stronger of the two.
Yeah I totally get Nappa’s purpose from a story telling point. Anyways I answered with my opinion as least favorite. I don’t think there is such a thing as truly worst character :)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:43 pm

Bullza wrote:Oh definitely Pan. No character was ever worse than Pan.

Maybe you could make some argument that another character was worse (like Dolltaki) but the thing is those characters may have only appeared in an episode of two. Pan was a major character who ruined the show. GT would have been bad regardless but Pan was one of the reasons why that show was so bad.

Puar is a boring character, she's like a potted plant, she's just there of no importance all but she never brought the show down.

Pan is the only character in the franchise that is responsible for bringing a show as a whole down.
I find Chichi WAY more annoying. She's the Dawn Summers of the series.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:48 pm

What's wrong with Pan?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:55 pm

We've never seen a Toriyama Pan outside the tail-end of DBZ, so I don't count her GT incarnation.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:56 pm

I don't know why, but I like her. Yeah, she's a pushy young girl and I think they could've done a better job of maturing her, but I like her relationship with her grandfather and Gill. Chichi has none of that going for her. So if I had to give an answer, I think Chichi is the worst character in DB.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Iron Fjord » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:38 pm

Broly, that's a no-brainer. Kinda like Broly himself
The Iron Fjord will kick you in the nuts!

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:16 am

VegettoEX wrote:Pu'er is totally inoffensive, though, and has some touching moments with Yamcha.

"Worst" is probably Toei!Blue (but <3 Furukawa).

But worst original manga character? I... can't really think of anyone. The "worst" I can get are other inoffensive characters. There are characters that I don't like, but that doesn't make them "OMG WORST EVAR1".
I never really meant it as "so bad they hurt the show," I was thinking more like "this character is extremely uninteresting, boring, and offers nothing to the story." My justifications for Puer are that he just doesn't have anything that makes for an interesting character. You can argue that there are more damaging and hurtful characters like Toei's handling of Blue, Dolltaki, but Puer being there since the beginning and having only one highlight as a character is sad. He's just a worse version of Chiaotzu.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Big Green The Yoshi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Green The Yoshi » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:18 am

Chaozu definitely. Puar is bad, but Chaozu is a second Puar. I was surprised by how irrelevant he was to the overall story, and he didn't even talk to Goku.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:29 am

Minor characters don't bother me cause they don't affect the main storyline in any major way in Dragon Ball. I don't like them, but I also don't dislike them. They are just sort of there. I forget about them quickly cause most of them are forgettable anyways.

Major characters who are poorly characterized bother me more cause I start losing interest. And, Dragon Ball Super's version of Gokuu and Vegeta are that characters. Gokuu more so than Vegeta surprisingly. He keeps getting worse with every passing story arc.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.