Does anyone else have a hard time switching back and forth between English and Japanese Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallKing
Regular

Does anyone else have a hard time switching back and forth between English and Japanese Dragon Ball?

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Let me start by saying I'm a fan of both currently(kai dub onward), but I still have issues flopping between the two.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Does anyone else have a hard time switching back and forth between English and Japanese Dragon Ball?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:24 pm

Nope, not at all.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MaskedRider
Banned

Re: Does anyone else have a hard time switching back and forth between English and Japanese Dragon Ball?

Post by MaskedRider » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:26 pm

Nope, the only hard thing is going back to episodes I already watched which isn't DB/Z/GT/Super's fault, that is just me in general with a show sometimes

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:41 pm

It depends. If it's the dub pre-Kai, there's a good chance I will never go back to it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:12 pm

I don't. I'm kinda forced to watch Super in Japanese because that's how I can avoid spoilers and get the latest content, but I generally go right back to my Z dubs with no issue and back to Super in Japanese no issue. Well, outside of me not caring much for Goku's JPN voice but I've learned to tolerate it.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:23 am

Not in the slightest. As of 2010 both versions are fantastic and I'll watch one or the other depending on my mood.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:05 pm

I found an easy solution for myself, and that's to not switch. I just stick with one and roll with it.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:58 pm

No. I enjoy the old Ocean cast movies 1-3, the current dub since Kai (though I hear Super has made a few poor choices?), and the Japanese version all well enough. Though I suppose I could live without any English dub if I had to make a choice between the two.

Little bit harder to make that choice with the manga...

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:35 am

Sometimes.

Masako Nozawa plays Goku like a manchild, while Sean Schemmel plays Goku like a laidback surfer dude.

But that's outside the arena, when Goku is in a fight both English/Japanese dubs of Goku do him justice.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:21 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote:Sometimes.

Masako Nozawa plays Goku like a manchild, while Sean Schemmel plays Goku like a laidback surfer dude.

But that's outside the arena, when Goku is in a fight both English/Japanese dubs of Goku do him justice.
I can't get any surfer vibes from Schemmel's Goku at all. If anything his performance screams manchild, especially in Super. His goofy moments are full of enthusiasm and over the top glee, and the serious moments capture Goku's cockiness and inner saiyan/warrior pride flawlessly.

I agree on both Nozawa and Schemmel being perfect in battle sequences.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:01 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: I can't get any surfer vibes from Schemmel's Goku at all. If anything his performance screams manchild, especially in Super. His goofy moments are full of enthusiasm and over the top glee, and the serious moments capture Goku's cockiness and inner saiyan/warrior pride flawlessly.

I agree on both Nozawa and Schemmel being perfect in battle sequences.
Well, I feel that English Goku possesses a laidback attitude that is stereotypical of surfers, similar to how the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Michelangelo acts. But while Michelangelo is rather immature and single-minded, English Goku is more unfocused and carefree and is more than ready to focus his mind on defeating obstacles/opponents. That's my view anyway.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

FubukiFoxx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FubukiFoxx » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:56 pm

Not overly; I've gotten quite used to watching the Japanese dub of Dragon Ball Super, so all of the voices feel quite natural to me, despite having heard the English ones first (from DB and Z). That said, if I did have to watch some of the earlier dubbed stuff (pre-Kai), it might feel a bit jarring in some instances (though it would be nice to hear Stephanie Naldony and Tiffany Volmer's performances again; I always preferred them voicing Goku/Gohan and Bulma when it came to the English voices).
In general, I've come to really have an appreciation for the Japanese cast, so I don't think I could ever watch Super dubbed in English, I've just come to enjoy the show in its original language too much. (・ω<)
"I think we're gonna play with the cosmic space dragon. He's funny, but he needs better manners."

Ariesx222

Post by Ariesx222 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:25 am

Nope. When watching DBZ I switch between the two depending on which episode.

I watch the Japanese version when Trunks goes SSJ against Freezable and switch to the English/Falconers soundtrack for the episode right after.

Although I prefer Super in Japanese. All the characters seems like jerks in the English dub

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:27 am

Not really cause I've been watching Super in Japanese for over 2 years now so I'm really used to it alongside the dub at this point.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:50 am

no , not at all .

i mostly watch the Japanese version these days
My English is poor .

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:13 pm

I switched exclusively to the Japanese version about, yeesh, 17-18 years ago, so going back to the English version is very jarring for me for the most part. I'd say things like the Pioneer-released movies, Kai, and the new movies are the easiest time I have, since the quality is now pretty good. But I switched the audio track on a Z disc just last night to spot check a line, and it just really threw me in a, "Oh, geez. That's what that character sounds like?!" kind of way.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:49 pm

Nowadays I primarily focus on the Japanese version but it's impossible to just ignore the dub, whenever I hear something from the dub of Super I'm like "oh, cool" but I don't actually watch the show in dub week-to-week, I tried to at the start but I couldn't be bothered to watch the whole show again, and I especially didn't want to re-watch the movie retelling arcs, then after that I just didn't give it much thought.

As for the other shows, If I'm watching something from DB & DBZ then I'm always watching it in Japanese, I once tried watching GT but only got 4 episodes in before quitting and that was in Japanese, I've not seen any of GT in dub. When it comes to Kai it's the opposite, I mean I haven't actually seen Kai all the way through but I've seen way more of it in English than I have in Japanese. This isn't to say that if my ears pick up the faintest trace of the DB & Z dubs I simply must turn it off, I can listen to it fine, I just choose to avoid it.

Despite me saying this, the only time I have watched DB and DBZ all the way through was in English dub, but one of my goals for the future is to watch DB & DBZ again but in Japanese properly for the first time...which will involve me having to get all the Orange Bricks in order to support the official release, currently I have the first Yellow Brick (that's what we in the UK got instead of the Blue Bricks, it's basically the same thing)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:04 pm

Ariesx222 wrote:Nope. When watching DBZ I switch between the two depending on which episode.

I watch the Japanese version when Trunks goes SSJ against Freezable and switch to the English/Falconers soundtrack for the episode right after.

Although I prefer Super in Japanese. All the characters seems like jerks in the English dub
To be fair I've noticed everyone seems more jerk-ish in the japanese too, at least at the point where the dub is currently at.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:07 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:Sean Schemmel plays Goku like a laidback surfer dude.
Um, what? I've seen a lot of criticism for Schemmel on this site but this is the strangest. I see people throw out these type of comparisons all the time, what is this even supposed to mean?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:01 pm

I don't find it difficult at all; I find it fun. Gives me a lot more content to enjoy. I kind of separated the two in my mind and gladly accept the fact that you simply cannot compare them step-for-step and expect to be happy with it. I take them each as they are, which makes it fun. I love different incarnations of the series. I even love listening to the Mexican dub, but don't speak Spanish, so it's a little harder.