Favorite Era for Toriyama Artwork?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Favorite Era for Toriyama Artwork?

Post by Wezenheim » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:56 pm

As Dragon Ball grew and evolved, so too did Akira Toriyama's approach to the story's artwork. Bearing this in mind, what point (or points) in the story featured your favorite take on the character designs? You can even cite his Dragon Ball work outside of the main series, like his Kanzenban covers or something.

There's still room for me to change my own opinion on this topic, as I'm currently re-reading the manga, but at the moment I think I really enjoy the approach taken in the Saiyan / Freeza arcs.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

While maybe not the strongest in terms of action, I think this was an interesting point where Dragon Ball sort of combined a lot of the elements I liked about the earlier round designs and more angular stuff. The designs sport really well-defined facial features, like jawlines, but also the really satisfying way that Toriyama draws muscles. Oh, and the look of Super Saiyan in its first few appearances is still probably my favorite.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I actually think the Kanzenban cover artwork is some of my favorite stuff from Toriyama too, though. I can't quite put my finger on why, but there's something so charming about them. I have a soft spot for the 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi as well.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Favorite Era for Toriyama Artwork?

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:35 pm

For some reason I've always had a bit of a fondness for the more angular style near the end of the series, but one of the limitations is that it doesn't help the facial expressions and only really works for the more angry and stressed parts of the story. Plus everyone seems to be drawn with a corner-of-the-lip sneer whenever their mouths are open, no matter what their actual emotion is.

The rounded style I associate a lot with Kid Goku, so it was always appreciated the artists in the anime who emphasized that so that Goku had round eyes rather than the more trapezoid-shaped ones from Z onward. I dunno, something about teen Goku having round eyes reminds me of Kid Goku, and that helps a lot in reminding me that they're the same character.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:41 pm

23rd Budoukai era Toriyama art is my favorite. It's got that roundness, but a more dynamic roundness that current Toriyama art can't recapture imo.

Second place is probably Kanzenban cover art Toriyama in which Gokû's hair always looks amazing, followed third by sketchy Buu arc Toriyama.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:57 pm

From the King Piccolo arc to the Saiyan arc.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
But especially in the Saiyan arc because it looks even better in colour:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:00 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:But especially in the Saiyan arc because it looks even better in colour:
Man I love those colour editions! IMO it's the best way to consume the manga because it adds a ton of life and depth to everything.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:50 pm

From the beginning of Dragon Ball to Garlic Jr is my favourite period. My favourite sub-period is the very earliest portion of this, as the art style reflected a clash of 80s cartoon with futuristic elements that was inexplicably Japanese. I can see a scene from the anime from then and just gush over all the effort that was put into each drawing by all the animators.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:02 am

Lord Beerus wrote:From the King Piccolo arc to the Saiyan arc.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
But especially in the Saiyan arc because it looks even better in colour:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
I also have a soft spot for the Piccolo Daimaoh-Saiyan arc art style.
I also like the late Dr. Slump-Early Dragon Ball lineart as well as the Red Ribbon Army arc style.

I like to try and have that round and cartoony, yet detailed style in my DB fanart as opposed to the modern style and DBZ style.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:37 am

I agree with lord Beerus but I'd add the Freeza arc to the list as well. I'd say the worst era would be Buu's while in the anime Buu's era is the best.

In terms of his covers, I think the Kanzenban are the most consistant ones.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:42 am

sintzu wrote:I'd say the worst era would be Buu's while in the anime Buu's era is the best.
I definitely agree with this. The anime was fantastic looking in the Buu arc, but Toriyama was clearly burnt out at that point, and the drawings looked more rushed and simple than before. His best work in my eyes is the Daimao stuff through the Freeza arc. Cell was still good, but not quite as great as before.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:37 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Toriyama was clearly burnt out at that point, and the drawings looked more rushed and simple than before.

His best work in my eyes is the Daimao stuff through the Freeza arc. Cell was still good, but not quite as great as before.
The fights were also really short and somewhat lacking which is understandable cause up to that point he'd been drawing none stop for 13 years between DB and Dr. Slump. I'm just happy he managed to get the story on point cause everything else could've (and was) improved by the studio.

He said that he didn't think he could top Freeza's fight so it's not surprising to see things go down a bit after such a tense arc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:45 am

floofychan333 wrote:From the beginning of Dragon Ball to Garlic Jr is my favourite period. My favourite sub-period is the very earliest portion of this, as the art style reflected a clash of 80s cartoon with futuristic elements that was inexplicably Japanese. I can see a scene from the anime from then and just gush over all the effort that was put into each drawing by all the animators.

Eh...isnt this all about Toriyama's art? Garlic Jr is an anime invention. To be fair I have never read the manga so I can only go by the anime as well.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:49 am

Definitely the Piccolo Daimao - Saiyan arc era. He has a better grasp of anatomy later on, but it was with his earlier style that had the characters were most expressive. Panel were also larger and detailed. You can really see how he was at the end of his patience in the final chapters of the Buu arc.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:13 am

Glad to see every era of Toriyama's drawings

Some comments on his Boo Arc work

His art style were easy to follow & had the rounded-ness, which was cute. 21st TB for instance

Boo Arc however, while is "matured" & frankly still a dream of even 21st century manga's, has super-short battle/fights

Toriyama tapped-out with his battle creativity way back in Namek/Frieza Arc. His last creatively drawn battle sequence was Base Goku vs Final Form Frieza (underwater Kamehameha, aerial kick, Frieza's No Hands Rule & Kaioken X 20 + Spirit Bomb sequence. Such a scale of grandness infused with Toriyama's creative artstyle.

But dats not to say I dislike Boo Arc fight. SSJ3 Goku vs Kid Boo was fantastic & dare say without TOEI's best animators working on DBZ Episode 279, 280 & 281 I'd say the anime has not made justice to their manga counterpart

FubukiFoxx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FubukiFoxx » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:17 am

Late Dragon Ball (around the 22nd Tenkaichi Budōkai) to the end of the Frieza Saga were my favourites.
I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion, but I actually really like the style used in Super, too. When it's animated well, it's animated very well.
"I think we're gonna play with the cosmic space dragon. He's funny, but he needs better manners."

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:20 am

My favorite manga art style is from Saiyan arc to Freeza. The art was gorgeous! That is the look I associate with Dragon Ball.
I also love the 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi style a lot, and I’m not a fan of Manga Buu arc style, it’s clear that Toriyama was burning out when drawing it.

I also appreciate Toriyama’s new art style - his covers for the Kanzenban were amazing, and I like Tori’s designs for Super, and the few drawings he did for Toyotaro’s manga are excellent stuff.
I wish we could see more of Toriyama’s current style in a manga format, as it’s very clean - just look at Jaco.
And I may be in the minority, but I actually liked the art in Dragon Ball Minus.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:39 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
sintzu wrote:I'd say the worst era would be Buu's while in the anime Buu's era is the best.
I definitely agree with this. The anime was fantastic looking in the Buu arc, but Toriyama was clearly burnt out at that point, and the drawings looked more rushed and simple than before. His best work in my eyes is the Daimao stuff through the Freeza arc. Cell was still good, but not quite as great as before.
While I agree from an ART standpoint, the anime Buu arc had some nice drawings for sure. Animation however was mostly stiffer than some previous arcs.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:52 am

For action: Late Namek arc

I expect this to be a less popular choice, as it's where the shift into his angular style sets in in earnest, but I think the scale he manages to achieve in this portion of the story is tremendous; all the work put into pioneering a new visual language for the level of action he's been building toward comes to a head in Goku vs. Freeza, which despite hurdles like being largely aerial (how do you effectively communicate action with that?), and setbacks like a dull setting, still manages to be massively well-storyboarded and effective.

Overall: Actually his pre-Dragon Ball days, circa Slump and one-shots

While he managed to get better technically throughout his career, I love both the charm and detail Toriyama leaves his early manga with. They feature deceptively complex drawings, natural and effective storyboarding, and expressive and memorable characters. His behind-the-scenes pages in Dr. Slump depict him as someone who was usually reading fashion magazines and thinking about interesting robots, and, uh ... you can tell. Even in his goofiest series, the artwork is always creative and visually slick.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:13 am

I like the Saiyan arc mostly. But that's also my favorite story arc and the first one I ever saw, so maybe I'm biased.

For whatever reason, I associate the Buu arc with characters having gigantic jawlines.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:From the beginning of Dragon Ball to Garlic Jr is my favourite period. My favourite sub-period is the very earliest portion of this, as the art style reflected a clash of 80s cartoon with futuristic elements that was inexplicably Japanese. I can see a scene from the anime from then and just gush over all the effort that was put into each drawing by all the animators.

Eh...isnt this all about Toriyama's art? Garlic Jr is an anime invention. To be fair I have never read the manga so I can only go by the anime as well.
Well, Garlic Jr retains quite a bit of Toriyama's art style from Freeza.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:49 am

The earlier, rounder style. The angler stuff is fine in the Saiyan and Freeza arc, and then regresses a lot in Cell, and looks plain bad in Boo.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸