Shueisha, Bird Studio and Toei missed opportunity about Dragon Ball !?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Shueisha, Bird Studio and Toei missed opportunity about Dragon Ball !?

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:12 am

There is a thing with the revival of Dragon Ball who baffled me on a strictly marketing stand point. The thing is that the people who hold the right to Dragon Ball have missed a huge opportunity about Dragon Ball, and this is creating three timeline stories.

Before Black Goku and the whole Arc Zamasu came, I was wondering why they don't capitalize into creating an anime about Mirai Trunks and his future, why they don't capitalize about the fact that Mirai Trunks and his world are so much hyped ?

Because with the whole Xenoverse/Online/Heroes thing there is enough material to create an anime about Mirai Trunks, dealing with Makaioshin, and new enemies exclusive to his anime. Also and let's being honest even though people hated GT, I kinda see in this forum and in general the social media, that GT wasn't that hated after all, and another honesty we must admit the SSJ4 is damn sexy and sell well, hence why Bardock and Broly got a SSJ4 form ?

So why not creating a continuation of GT following for exemple Toytaro/YoungJijii idea. So from where I STAND, I think the holder of the franchise could have played three card, one following the aftermath of DBGT, one following Mirai Trunks badessery, and the Super card.

I even thing that Sunrise could have handled one of this anime and the other one could have been Studio Pierrot those studio make sense about their history and tie to Shueisha licence and the Dragon Ball Franchise. Sunrise because it is hold by Namco Bandai who coincidentally have Dragon Ball becoming their first growing merchendising ever and Studio Pierrot because of their history to adapt Shueisha manga into anime.

Agreed or not about this idea or do you hate it ?
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Shueisha, Bird Studio and Toei missed opportunity about Dragon Ball !?

Post by LightBing » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:03 pm

Too much information confuses people and might scare them away. Another reason is you might force people to make choices "what should I watch", that spreads you thin.

It's one thing to have different and alternative storylines in different mediums that people can compartmentalize or ignore, without being concerned to follow "canon" or play catch up.

You would also - inadvertently - create a rivalry between on-going anime. Imagine GT vs Super talks, now multiply that by a thousand. That wouldn't be good for business.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:10 pm

But I take the exemple of Gundam where we've been served mutliple Gundam show at the same time

I never saw much trouble for the Gundam fanbase. And speaking of overload aren't we getting multiple Super Heroes based show with the DCCWTVEU, the DCEU and the MCU ? I think people can catch up easily.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:44 pm

I don't know enough about Gundam. Do they have any show that's more important than the others? Or are they relatively seen as of the same importance? That's a big factor. It also depends on the community.

I don't think the Super-Heroes shows are a good comparison. Since a good chunk of the audience sees them not as fans, everything being connected enhances the experience for some but for most of them, it's just a cool Super-Hero movie. Something for casuals.
Does the majority even know about the comics? If the tv shows and movies introduced them I bet many were scared by millions of versions each hero has.

I don't think an anime about Future Trunks would work. Maybe a movie franchise would, like the One Piece movies. Even so I doubt it because I can't see Future Trunks working as a lead. Everything else they are already doing it with games and mangas.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:15 pm

If super is as bad as it is being one anime then 3 would've completely ruined it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:54 pm

sintzu wrote:If super is as bad as it is being one anime then 3 would've completely ruined it.
Especially this. I hope that one day people who actually care about the franchise take helm and give us a proper series.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:57 pm

It's easier to keep track of the one storyline. Plus, in Future Trunk's timeline, all the characters you know and love outside of Trunks and Bulma (including 17, 18 and Cell) are dead, so it's difficult to write any compelling stories with them in a long-form manner similar to the timeline we're familiar with. You can do individual stories like History of Trunks well enough, but for longform you'd need to come up with a brand new cast of characters pretty much.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:30 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
sintzu wrote:If super is as bad as it is being one anime then 3 would've completely ruined it.
Especially this. I hope that one day people who actually care about the franchise take helm and give us a proper series.
The only way that'll happen is if Toei either cuts down a lot of their shows and just focus on their big hits like DB and One Piece or turn DB into a seasonal anime. Both are VERY unlikely to happen so what we have is what we'll continue to get.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:16 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
Implying people who work on the current series "don't care"? Unless you know them on a personal level to the point they told they don't care about DB then making statements like these are silly.

I don't like the show therefore the people working on the show must not care. Terrific logic.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:29 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
Implying people who work on the current series "don't care"? Unless you know them on a personal level to the point they told they don't care about DB then making statements like these are silly.

I don't like the show therefore the people working on the show must not care. Terrific logic.
The show speaks for itself.
Last edited by supersaiyanZero on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:47 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:

Goku replicating his fight with his Grandpa in the current Super arc? What aload of bullshit, bring back the Garlic JR arc. I miss when Toriyama and Toei cared about this series.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:24 pm

Actually, if there IS an opportunity for Toei and Shueisha in the future it's in distributing Dragonball, Dragonball Z, and Super to classrooms: so students can see what it's like to take an origin story adventure and turn it into something very different yet arguably just as charming, and then the degradation that comes with completely selling out and not giving a shit about anything but money.

As bonus material students can read the Super manga side by side with watching the anime, so they can see how the same franchise can churn out two different products depending on the amount of effort and care that goes into it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:30 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Implying people who work on the current series "don't care"? Unless you know them on a personal level to the point they told they don't care about DB then making statements like these are silly.
If the higher ups cared about the franchise's image and quality they wouldn't have rushed it into production the way they did. If they cared it wouldn't have the god awful writing it has, especially what we've gotten in the current arc.
supersaiyanZero wrote:As bonus material students can read the Super manga side by side with watching the anime, so they can see how the same franchise can churn out two different products depending on the amount of effort and care that goes into it.
I think the biggest problem with Super is Toei trying to make it as close to One Piece as possible but what they've done so far is just embarrasing and cringworthy.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:37 pm

I doubt its close to One Piece. People KEEP saying that. I dont think the people who say this even watch One Piece.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:37 pm

The anime production has always been rushed more or less. We wouldin't of had filler otherwise. I know it's not common practice but nothing was stopping Toei for at least taking a break before starting up the DBZ or GT anime for that matter.

As for the current writing, again I'm going to wait longer on where the current anime is going. I certainly am invested in the TOP arc though, where anything can happen.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:49 am

LightBing wrote:I don't know enough about Gundam. Do they have any show that's more important than the others? Or are they relatively seen as of the same importance? That's a big factor. It also depends on the community.
Well Gundam community is wide because we have two things one main timeline called the Universal Century which the "main canon" is and the others Alternate Universe, for exemple Gundam Wing and 00 Gundam are in their own Universe.
sintzu wrote:I think the biggest problem with Super is Toei trying to make it as close to One Piece as possible but what they've done so far is just embarrasing and cringworthy.
That's why I suggest to have Studiot Pierrot or Sunrise work on spin off series for Dragon Ball Toei keep the main dishes and the other compagny on the spin off. And I choose those two compagny for their history and tie to either Shueisha or Namco Bandai/Toei.
KBABZ wrote:It's easier to keep track of the one storyline. Plus, in Future Trunk's timeline, all the characters you know and love outside of Trunks and Bulma (including 17, 18 and Cell) are dead, so it's difficult to write any compelling stories with them in a long-form manner similar to the timeline we're familiar with. You can do individual stories like History of Trunks well enough, but for longform you'd need to come up with a brand new cast of characters pretty much.
But this is an opportunity to introduce new character and new perspective for Mirai Trunks don't you think ? And we can imagine that where Mirai Trunks and Mirai Mai are now they have gotten their hand of the Namekian Dragon Ball to ask the dragon to fuse them permanently to their counterpart, also that would be a great opportunity to bring C-16 into the field. There is plenty of room for create a new lore with Mirai Trunks.

Speaking of Room what does the Dragon Ball Room do reccently ? Isn't it its function to think about that ? :wtf:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:09 am

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:another honesty we must admit the SSJ4 sell well, hence why Bardock and Broly got a SSJ4 form ?
No. Bardock, Broly and GT Gohan got Super Saiyan 4 because that's what Heroes does, what-if stuff. The game has been doing this since its beginning, with Future Trunks getting Super Saiyan 3.

There's plenty of Heroes' what-if that usually you wouldn't think it'd sell, but it does because the game is popular, sometimes not the character itself (or if the character has good abilities/skills, see Tarble).

As for the missed opportunity; Definitely. Having Trunks becoming a Time Patroller and paying for his sins of time travelling would be the best ending for his saga and one that would bring a lot of awesome opportunities to the series. It's too bad someone there thought that the actual ending for his saga was better, which in reality turned out to be the worst and bizarre ending of all sagas. It seems "missed opportunities" is a theme in Dragon Ball franchise. It has been missing it a lot since forever.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~