Dragon Ball Full Color Manga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Full Color Manga

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:59 pm

foxfang4 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:57 am This is a major bump (2 years inactive). I realized today that the entire Z color manga has already been published in Spanish (the entire Cell and Buu arcs). This got me asking: why hasn't this been translated into English yet? Is there some legal reason. Is Viz waiting for better timing (a future film, for example) for them to release the rest of the series? At this point, the color manga ends at the Namek arc in English.
Apparently Viz license each arc separately, and there's been some hold-up in negotiating. People are dragging their feet at the negotiation table, so it's taking absolutely ages, but they insist it's not cancelled.

... But it's safe to say that, having been this long, they may very well no longer see the point in licensing further arcs.

Maybe if tons of people coordinate an effort and hound their social media (hint hint) it'll show demand and they'll change their minds. Stuff like this has happened before (though rarely in Dragon Ball).
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:03 pm

foxfang4 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:57 am This is a major bump (2 years inactive). I realized today that the entire Z color manga has already been published in Spanish (the entire Cell and Buu arcs). This got me asking: why hasn't this been translated into English yet? Is there some legal reason. Is Viz waiting for better timing (a future film, for example) for them to release the rest of the series? At this point, the color manga ends at the Namek arc in English.
Viz do weird things. They took almost 2 years to release the 5th Bleach Blu-Ray, for example. I think their thought is, "We already have the original version of the manga licensed & translated, Super's manga is in full swing, & the full color manga is expensive to produce, so we can put it off." Considering that this year was the 30th anniversary year of Z & they only reprinted the entire black & white manga sets they made years ago, it must not have made enough money back to justify licensing the rest of the full color manga.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:48 pm

Laziness, but also because when it comes to the Full Colour, each arc has to be licensed from Shuesha separately, rather than the entire work like with the Tankobon editions. Guess the Spanish publisher figured it was worth it.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:09 am

Damn. At this rate, it would be quicker for me -- despite having about an hour a day to do this -- to scan the Japanese color manga in, scan in Viz's manga, and copy and paste every piece of dialog onto the Japanese manga for myself to have a nice digital version.

Now, I'd bet it already exists, but I'm just saying that it would probably be faster than waiting on Viz.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:52 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:09 am Damn. At this rate, it would be quicker for me -- despite having about an hour a day to do this -- to scan the Japanese color manga in, scan in Viz's manga, and copy and paste every piece of dialog onto the Japanese manga for myself to have a nice digital version.

Now, I'd bet it already exists, but I'm just saying that it would probably be faster than waiting on Viz.
That would probably WORK too: literally the only difference between the two is the formatting of the text (and sound effect translations); the actual speech bubbles ate entirely unchanged, so if you lined the panels up they'd 100% go together.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:41 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:48 pm
Laziness, but also because when it comes to the Full Colour, each arc has to be licensed from Shuesha separately, rather than the entire work like with the Tankobon editions. Guess the Spanish publisher figured it was worth it.
Thats something I just dont udnerstand. Why does it have to be seperate? Is it because the numering resets every arc?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:02 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:52 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:09 am Damn. At this rate, it would be quicker for me -- despite having about an hour a day to do this -- to scan the Japanese color manga in, scan in Viz's manga, and copy and paste every piece of dialog onto the Japanese manga for myself to have a nice digital version.

That would probably WORK too: literally the only difference between the two is the formatting of the text (and sound effect translations); the actual speech bubbles ate entirely unchanged, so if you lined the panels up they'd 100% go together.
Not quite.

ImageImage
ImageImage
(Both from the full colour first 23 chapters, which Shueisha made available in 2009 with both uncensored Viz English and original Japanese)

Technically, you could probably fit the English text in these speech bubbles. Though it would look a bit odd.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:52 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:02 pm Not quite.

ImageImage
ImageImage
(Both from the full colour first 23 chapters, which Shueisha made available in 2009 with both uncensored Viz English and original Japanese)

Technically, you could probably fit the English text in these speech bubbles. Though it would look a bit odd.
I don't have my Kindle program on me (on holiday and all that); what do these look like in ViZ's B/W version?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:57 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:52 pm I don't have my Kindle program on me (on holiday and all that); what do these look like in ViZ's B/W version?
Worth noting that the first three chapters of Dragon Ball are free on Viz's site. So, since these are from chapter 1, easily fetched by anyone. :)

ImageImage

They actually edited Goku's left speech bubble in that first panel in this in addition to the right bubble, but otherwise the edits are the same.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:01 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:57 pm
KBABZ wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:52 pm I don't have my Kindle program on me (on holiday and all that); what do these look like in ViZ's B/W version?
Worth noting that the first three chapters of Dragon Ball are free on Viz's site. So, since these are from chapter 1, easily fetched by anyone. :)

ImageImage

They actually edited Goku's left speech bubble in that first panel in this in addition to the right bubble, but otherwise the edits are the same.
Might be a contributing factor on top of everything else then. Depending on the complexity of the colours added to the background, additional work might be needed that would normally not be an issue for a purely lineart black-and-white panel.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:12 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:01 pm Might be a contributing factor on top of everything else then. Depending on the complexity of the colours added to the background, additional work might be needed that would normally not be an issue for a purely lineart black-and-white panel.
I doubt that'd be a significant factor in the... Semi-cancellation of the line.
Especially since that 2009 thing showed Viz did prepare translated full colour versions of the first 23 chapters of DB, at least. Which they've never commercially exploited in any way at all...

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:33 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:12 pm
KBABZ wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:01 pm Might be a contributing factor on top of everything else then. Depending on the complexity of the colours added to the background, additional work might be needed that would normally not be an issue for a purely lineart black-and-white panel.
Especially since that 2009 thing showed Viz did prepare translated full colour versions of the first 23 chapters of DB, at least. Which they've never commercially exploited in any way at all...
How much would it cost to pay Anonymous to hack ViZ's databanks and leak that stuff? The Boyhood+Piccolo blocks are all I want!

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:59 am

KBABZ wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:33 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:12 pm
How much would it cost to pay Anonymous to hack ViZ's databanks and leak that stuff? The Boyhood+Piccolo blocks are all I want!
lol. It would be much easier to just download the Japanese RAWS onto your computer and use a program to edit English text into the word bubbles, than to hack into a company and somehow locate these files.