Dragon Ball Full Color Manga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

wolffangfisting

Dragon Ball Full Color Manga

Post by wolffangfisting » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:50 pm

Anyone know if they are going to continue to print the Dragon Ball Full Color Manga in English? The last book of the Frieza arc was released at the beginning of January 2017. Also, anyone know if they will give us the original Dragon Ball in this format too or a release schedule for future editions? Thanks for the help.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Full Color Manga

Post by KBABZ » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:04 pm

I believe ViZ confirmed on Twitter that they will continue the Android Arc in 2018.

Trickster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trickster » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:43 am

KBABZ wrote:I believe ViZ confirmed on Twitter that they will continue the Android Arc in 2018.
Really? I'm very excited about it. Even though it takes almost 2 months to arrive to Brazil after I buy in the Book Depository.
Sorry for bad english. I'm not fluent in your language, so, if you want to correct some mistake of mine, please do it. I'll be grateful

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:29 am

Trickster wrote:
KBABZ wrote:I believe ViZ confirmed on Twitter that they will continue the Android Arc in 2018.
Really? I'm very excited about it. Even though it takes almost 2 months to arrive to Brazil after I buy in the Book Depository.
Yeah, same! I found the source, and while they don't say 2018 (sorry about that), it isn't cancelled at all:

wolffangfisting

Post by wolffangfisting » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:23 am

Awesome! Thanks for the information guys. I'd like to get the whole series in this new format.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:50 am

So, Android arc will probably take what... A year or two to come out in full?

Then, if the Android delay is anything to go by, we'll have to wait another year before the Boo arc begins... Goddammit, I'm never gonna see the Piccolo arc, am I? :problem:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:07 am

Robo4900 wrote:So, Android arc will probably take what... A year or two to come out in full?

Then, if the Android delay is anything to go by, we'll have to wait another year before the Boo arc begins... Goddammit, I'm never gonna see the Piccolo arc, am I? :problem:
I could be wrong but I think someone from Viz said they were going to release 3 volumes per year so if that's true then Cell will take up 2018-2019 while Buu 2020-2021.

Who knows if they'll ever do the original DB but if they do then we should get to Piccolo in 2023.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:27 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Trickster wrote:
Yeah, same! I found the source, and while they don't say 2018 (sorry about that), it isn't cancelled at all:

Might be me, but I feel like Viz's response comes off a bit condescending. "We haven't canceled anything. K thanks" is the tone I get from it. Pretty uncool considering that it took them three years to release five volumes. I mean, you can't blame fans for questioning if it's been canceled considering there hasn't been a new release in nearly a year. Yeah, the other person shouldn't have jumped the gun, but come on, Viz.

Or maybe it's just me.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:28 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Might be me, but I feel like Viz's response comes off a bit condescending. "We haven't canceled anything. K thanks" is the tone I get from it. Pretty uncool considering that it took them three years to release five volumes. I mean, you can't blame fans for questioning if it's been canceled considering there hasn't been a new release in nearly a year. Yeah, the other person shouldn't have jumped the gun, but come on, Viz.

Or maybe it's just me.
I agree, it feels like the ViZ representative didn't exactly want to engage with the community that day. I think ViZ does need to rethink the DB Full Colour strategy though; after eight or so books it should NOT be taking that long to apply your translation to it, even if the exact formatting of the words on the page is different (I do wish they bothered to re-do Piccolo's early dialogue, though).

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:07 am

KBABZ wrote:I agree, it feels like the ViZ representative didn't exactly want to engage with the community that day. I think ViZ does need to rethink the DB Full Colour strategy though; after eight or so books it should NOT be taking that long to apply your translation to it, even if the exact formatting of the words on the page is different (I do wish they bothered to re-do Piccolo's early dialogue, though).
Are they changing it up though? I would assume they'd just keep the same translation. I know nothing about these things really lol I have the Dragon Ball Japanese manga in full color.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:53 am

KBABZ wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:Might be me, but I feel like Viz's response comes off a bit condescending. "We haven't canceled anything. K thanks" is the tone I get from it. Pretty uncool considering that it took them three years to release five volumes. I mean, you can't blame fans for questioning if it's been canceled considering there hasn't been a new release in nearly a year. Yeah, the other person shouldn't have jumped the gun, but come on, Viz.

Or maybe it's just me.
I agree, it feels like the ViZ representative didn't exactly want to engage with the community that day. I think ViZ does need to rethink the DB Full Colour strategy though; after eight or so books it should NOT be taking that long to apply your translation to it, even if the exact formatting of the words on the page is different (I do wish they bothered to re-do Piccolo's early dialogue, though).
It was posted on Twitter with a 140 character limit. Did you expect an engaging paragraph length of a reply? Twitter isn't a blog, they went straight to the point.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:01 pm

sintzu wrote:I could be wrong but I think someone from Viz said they were going to release 3 volumes per year so if that's true then Cell will take up 2018-2019 while Buu 2020-2021.

Who knows if they'll ever do the original DB but if they do then we should get to Piccolo in 2023.
Wrong!

Viz seem to release each arc over the period of a little under a year, then take nearly a year's break. (Saiyan: February-June 2014, Freeza: May 2016-January 2017, Cell: 2018-???)

If Viz release only 3 volumes a year, that will mean the Cell arc will be released over a period of two years, as will the Boo and Piccolo arcs, but the "Boyhood" volumes will take nearly three(8 volumes). But for the purposes of this estimation, let's assume Viz will go up to 4 volumes per year for Boyhood, then regardless of if they stick at 4 or go back down to 3 for Piccolo, each arc from now on would take 2 years, plus a 1-year break between arcs.

So, using these assumptions to estimate the release times, and not counting overhangs of a month or two in/out of the given years(Freeza's last volume was the 3rd of January 2017, but in my estimation, I would write Freeza's release as just being 2016)...
Cell would be 2018-2019, Boo would be 2021-2022, Boyhood would be 2024-2025, and Piccolo would be 2027-2028.
So, if this turns out true, we'll be waiting 11 years for the rest of the Full Colour manga. As much as Viz's handling of Full Colour is awful, I doubt they'd be that bad with it, although I wouldn't totally discount the possibility.

If Viz are merciful, and decide to release each arc over the course of a year, this will be better, with the release schedule being more like Cell in 2018, Boo in 2020, Boyhood in 2022, and Piccolo in 2024.
But that's still damn awful in my opinion, and I hope they accelerate the release; they could at least cut the 1-year break between arcs, that would make this significantly less painful(With 1 year per arc, that'd be Cell 2018, Boo 2019, Boyhood 2020, Piccolo 2021. With the presumed 2 years per arc given their supposed 3 volumes per year, it'd be Cell 2018-2019, Boo 2019-2020, Boyhood 2020-2021, Piccolo 2022-2023, or possibly Boyhood 2020-2022, and Piccolo 2022-2024). Still not great, but at least it would be a consistent schedule, instead of a fluctuating one full of year-long holes.
sintzu wrote:Who knows if they'll ever do the original DB
Oh goddammit, you're right. Ugh. Well, at least we'll always have the VizBigs, I guess... :L
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:19 am

mute_proxy wrote:It was posted on Twitter with a 140 character limit. Did you expect an engaging paragraph length of a reply? Twitter isn't a blog, they went straight to the point.
An exclamation point at the end would have changed the tone of the entire tweet I feel.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:18 am

KBABZ wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:It was posted on Twitter with a 140 character limit. Did you expect an engaging paragraph length of a reply? Twitter isn't a blog, they went straight to the point.
An exclamation point at the end would have changed the tone of the entire tweet I feel.
Yep. And what is "VIZ has not canceled anything," it just comes off so smug. "VIZ did not cancel Dragon Ball Full Color. Information will come later. Thanks!" would probably just look a lot less "jerkish."

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:55 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Yep. And what is "VIZ has not canceled anything," it just comes off so smug. "VIZ did not cancel Dragon Ball Full Color. Information will come later. Thanks!" would probably just look a lot less "jerkish."
Hmm.. Too many sensitive souls on the interwebs :shh:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:52 pm

mute_proxy wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote: Yep. And what is "VIZ has not canceled anything," it just comes off so smug. "VIZ did not cancel Dragon Ball Full Color. Information will come later. Thanks!" would probably just look a lot less "jerkish."
Hmm.. Too many sensitive souls on the interwebs :shh:
No, not really. I just feel that if you're so bad at releasing something that has people actually questioning whether it's been canceled or not, you might not want to act like a dick in response to a fan inquiry. That response makes Viz look as if the people are asking something so ridiculous out of them, like no. It's taken you years to come out with a few volumes of something that has been out for years and you already have the translation of. Maybe it wouldn't be an issue if they actually had communication skills to inform its fans. Instead, fans have an incomplete collection that they've been sitting on forever.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:22 am

It is a small thing I agree, but when the social media guy seems happy to talk with the fans that makes things feel a lot better for both parties.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:30 am

KBABZ wrote:It is a small thing I agree, but when the social media guy seems happy to talk with the fans that makes things feel a lot better for both parties.
Yes, but it's reactive rather than proactive, really. They're waiting for fans to start questioning the future of the release, as if it's some sort of surprise that people would start having that response with how long it's been inactive. I don't think that it's such a shock, and thus, there could have been some sort of update from Viz before people started questioning it. Just say, "Hey guys! Know you've been waiting for the DB Full Color! Info to come!" instead of waiting for someone to question it and respond with the equivalent of, "Um, no. Info coming out later. Bye."

Again, maybe it's just my interpretation of that response, but that's how it comes off to me. There's no tone detected through text, so I don't know exactly how it was meant to be said, nor do I know how others hear it in their head.

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:57 am

This is a major bump (2 years inactive). I realized today that the entire Z color manga has already been published in Spanish (the entire Cell and Buu arcs). This got me asking: why hasn't this been translated into English yet? Is there some legal reason. Is Viz waiting for better timing (a future film, for example) for them to release the rest of the series? At this point, the color manga ends at the Namek arc in English.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:38 pm

foxfang4 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:57 am This is a major bump (2 years inactive). I realized today that the entire Z color manga has already been published in Spanish (the entire Cell and Buu arcs). This got me asking: why hasn't this been translated into English yet? Is there some legal reason. Is Viz waiting for better timing (a future film, for example) for them to release the rest of the series? At this point, the color manga ends at the Namek arc in English.
If it was waiting for a movie, they would have done something when DBS Broly dropped almost a year ago now.