If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:12 pm
Location: USA

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by DrBriefsCat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:50 pm

I don't think this will affect how the newer movies are released in North America, since I assumed Funimation got them through Toei. It could affect how future movies are released outside North America however. Distributors like Manga UK had to go through Fox's UK office to get the rights and it was expensive. Now they may have to deal with a local Fox office operated under Disney's terms.

DragonBallFoodie
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 943
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:12 pm
Location: Zambia, Southern Africa

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:02 pm

Some time back, I thought that Disney would be a fitting studio to do a DB film since Toriyama cites Disney artwork as an inspiration.

Nowadays, with Disney owning Marvel, Star Wars and Fox, I'm not so keen.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2623
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:23 am

I think Disney might get a live-action Dragon Ball movie going. And I think it could be pretty awesome, if they can get the right creative team behind it, and if they don't try to do another "Cinematic universe" with it; it would need to just be its own thing, preferably somewhat similar to how Path To Power approached being a Dragon Ball movie. Just do that, but with follow-ups in a similar style, and you're golden.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1563
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:06 pm

I don't think Disney will go into Dragon Ball with a cinematic universe in mind. Best to do a new live action movie based off an existing story that could work well as a standalone, but if that does well enough I don't see why not do a cinematic universe and give the side characters some love.

A live action version of Path to Power would be a good place to start, but they would most likely want to do Z first because that's what sells, even if they did that I'd be down for Dead Zone or World's Strongest in live action.
Trying to pitch Rock The Dragon to Manga UK

User avatar
miguelnuva1
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1746
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:50 pm

The only Dragonball cinematic universe we would get would be if Disney gave it to Marvel.

What would they do a Vegeta or Bardock movie?

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2623
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:35 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:06 pm
I don't think Disney will go into Dragon Ball with a cinematic universe in mind. Best to do a new live action movie based off an existing story that could work well as a standalone, but if that does well enough I don't see why not do a cinematic universe and give the side characters some love.

A live action version of Path to Power would be a good place to start, but they would most likely want to do Z first because that's what sells, even if they did that I'd be down for Dead Zone or World's Strongest in live action.
Except Disney aren't the colossal morons Funi were in the mid-'90s. If they have even a single IQ point present across the decisionmakers at the company (and given the re-hiring of James Gunn, I'd say they have more than that), they'll start at the beginning.

Besides, even if we want to entertain the ridiculous notion of "pre-Z doesn't sell; no one wants it, no one will want it, so skip it lol", Disney have watched as Marvel turned the Guardians Of The Galaxy into a household name, and way before that, when things just started out, Marvel started small; Iron Man, Hulk, Thor... They weren't even remotely big deals at the time. Hell, at the time, Hulk was the biggest name, but now, he's one of the lower-tier MCU heroes (even at the time, his movie wasn't all that kindly regarded, despite it being seen as something of a sure thing). Marvel threw the then-nobodies like Iron Man and Thor out onto the scene to kick off the MCU, and made all the money in the world. And that gravy train keeps on going.

If Disney get live action Dragon Ball going, they'll be smart and start at the beginning. No doubt, tons of people will complain at them for it, and people will write their fanfictions about a Zack Snyder brutalist depressing intense deconstructionist work that skips straight to the Saiyan arc but guts out all the character moments that made it good, in favour of more of the intense action and such that worked as a payoff to all that stuff...
Meanwhile, Disney put out a Dragon Ball movie, it's a lot of fun, and if it's successful, they go on and do more with it. And like with Captain Marvel and Last Jedi, the backlash from old guard fans won't factor into its performance in the slightest.

As for Path To Power... Granted, a live-action Path To Power would probably be a decent starting point, but really, when I said do it like Path To Power, I didn't mean literally do that in live-action. Remaking any of the existing movies as-is in live action would be dumb and unnecessary if you ask me; take cues from how Path To Power adapted the beginning of Dragon Ball into a 2-hour movie, but the point of that is that you shouldn't copy things 1:1. Do something that picks and chooses pieces to use, and throws them together into a cool singular 2-hour experience that loosely adapts a part of the original story.

Or, in other words: Do what Marvel have always done with their movies as adaptations of comic stories.

(And also, as an aside based on something I'm inferring from the way you've said stuff in your post, doing Path To Power then going straight into adapting the Z movies would be jarring and weird; you continue the story you've started yourself on. If they did do the profoundly weird route of just doing a live-action Path To Power, the logical next step would probably be to do another movie in that style, centred around the tournament, introducing Kuririn, etc. Maybe tie it into the Red Ribbon stuff that wasn't used in the former movie, and do it kinda like a mixture between the original 21st and 22nd tournament arcs, and the Mystical Adventure movie. Then, of course, do something with Piccolo for your next movie. But again, originality really is kind the king here; do an adaptation, yes, but shuffle things around, don't just make it a page-to-screen or animation-to-screen adaptation of an existing thing, otherwise you get a pointless retread like Beauty And The Beast. Besides, Path To Power is one of the only Dragon Ball movies to reach 2 hours; almost all the others were 45 minutes. Adapting the first few Z movies into live action would require either heavy padding, or doing it as some sort of odd anthology. The filmmakers just kind of doing their own spin on the source material like what Toei did for Path To Power really is best here)
miguelnuva1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:50 pm
The only Dragonball cinematic universe we would get would be if Disney gave it to Marvel.

What would they do a Vegeta or Bardock movie?
Again, a cinematic universe would be a bad idea. And Marvel aren't going to do Dragon Ball movies. :lol:
Dragon Ball solo movies sounds like a drag. Sure, we got the Bardock special, and that filled 45 minutes. Expanding that out to any longer would just be needless padding. If you really want to dig into these guys' stories, do it in a full-on Dragon Ball movie; do it kinda like how the new Broly movie brought in its flashback material.

(In fact, any new Dragon Ball movies should take some cues from the general style and vibe of the new Broly movie; live-action or not)

Just do proper Dragon Ball; a series of stories involving a particular set of characters that grows, expands, and evolves over its course. Trying to retrofit it to be a cinematic universe against all common sense is how you end up with a movie like Solo: A Star Wars Story.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
SSJmole
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 983
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:17 am
Location: uk

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by SSJmole » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:53 pm

Logically with a property I Dragonball. Wouldn't a streaming show for Disney+ be better? Netflix is apparently doing one about one piece , Disney could easily do a Dragonball streaming show.

WittyUsername
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1829
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:06 pm

SSJmole wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:53 pm
Logically with a property I Dragonball. Wouldn't a streaming show for Disney+ be better? Netflix is apparently doing one about one piece , Disney could easily do a Dragonball streaming show.
I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure Fox’s contract only applied to movies. In other words, Disney can’t do a streaming show based on Dragon Ball.

louisascommie
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by louisascommie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:46 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:06 pm
SSJmole wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:53 pm
Logically with a property I Dragonball. Wouldn't a streaming show for Disney+ be better? Netflix is apparently doing one about one piece , Disney could easily do a Dragonball streaming show.
I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure Fox’s contract only applied to movies. In other words, Disney can’t do a streaming show based on Dragon Ball.
I'm sure Disney wouod be able to negotiate the rights for a live action show
My though is you do a live acrion Saiyan saga movie. And if it's succesful you do sequels adapting the rest of z, but at the same time do a tv series adapting the first half of the manga instead of doing a pilaf movie and the like

User avatar
SSJmole
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 983
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:17 am
Location: uk

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by SSJmole » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:58 pm

louisascommie wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:46 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:06 pm
SSJmole wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:53 pm
Logically with a property I Dragonball. Wouldn't a streaming show for Disney+ be better? Netflix is apparently doing one about one piece , Disney could easily do a Dragonball streaming show.
I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure Fox’s contract only applied to movies. In other words, Disney can’t do a streaming show based on Dragon Ball.
I'm sure Disney wouod be able to negotiate the rights for a live action show
My though is you do a live acrion Saiyan saga movie. And if it's succesful you do sequels adapting the rest of z, but at the same time do a tv series adapting the first half of the manga instead of doing a pilaf movie and the like
Or find a loop hole like 3-6 episodes a year but movie length arguing they are movies lol

User avatar
The Tori-bot
I Live Here
Posts: 3207
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: Penguin Village
Contact:

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:59 am

miguelnuva1 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:17 am
WittyUsername wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:
I'm not expecting it at all but stranger things have happened.
I’m not sure if they’d even be allowed to do that.
As I said I'm not expecting Disney to make a live action dbz film and then put it the mcu but if Evolution was allowed to be made I don't see why a Dbz movie would be banned from the mcu.
I do. It's the letter "M" there.

It's like saying "I don't see why Captain Marvel wouldn't appear in the Avatar sequels now that Disney owns them." Just nonsense.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Post Reply