Do you like Super Saiyan 4?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Spider-Man
Regular

Re: Do you like Super Saiyan 4?

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:51 pm

The hair and faces looks ok but the magic pant and fur look ridiculous not really a fan of this transformation but I do like the concept behind it.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:23 pm

Aesthetically I think it’s a really ugly form but I’ve started to appreciate it more because of Dokkan Battle. I really love my SSJ4 Goku card :lol:

I also think the art looks better in the game than it ever did on the show.

Kefla
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kefla » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:50 pm

Better looking than a Super Saiyan Repaint, that’s for sure. It looks more like a godly form.

Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lightdasher » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:22 pm

My thoughts on the form aren't very unique, as far as I've been seeing here, so hopefully I can still add something to the discussion. An addition for the sake of general consensus, if nothing else.

I quite like the form, partially for the design, but mostly because of how it took from the roots of saiyans. I would compare it to the new Super Saiyan forms, but I feel I can't do so without bashing Super in some way, so I'll avoid that entirely xD. Anyway, I've always found it to be the most fitting transformation, for the original understanding to what saiyans were when they were introduced (as in, when Raditz first landed on Earth). You'd think it would be the actual Super Saiyan, and what we know of as Super Saiyan now is instead something brought about via magical elixirs.

Plus 1,000,000 brownie points for requiring a tail because I love seeing tails on saiyan characters!
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:01 am

Spider-Man wrote:The hair and faces looks ok but the magic pant and fur look ridiculous not really a fan of this transformation but I do like the concept behind it.
Magic pants? Yeah so you're okay with the countless other instances of magic clothing in the show? Piccolo's magic clothes that grow with him when he transforms. Vegeta's magic saiyan armor.

The fur makes sense when you remember that Goku is based on Sun Wukong, the monkey king who in most depictions has fur all over his body. The saiyans transform into giant apes...

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:42 am

Timetraveller wrote:
Spider-Man wrote:The hair and faces looks ok but the magic pant and fur look ridiculous not really a fan of this transformation but I do like the concept behind it.
Magic pants? Yeah so you're okay with the countless other instances of magic clothing in the show? Piccolo's magic clothes that grow with him when he transforms. Vegeta's magic saiyan armor.

The fur makes sense when you remember that Goku is based on Sun Wukong, the monkey king who in most depictions has fur all over his body. The saiyans transform into giant apes...
I said I like the concept of what it was based on should have been more specific and yeah I don't hate that form that much,SS4 Gogeta looks fine and since when I was ok with Piccolo's magic clothes I find that stupid

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:54 pm

I really like it. It links Goku's first transformation to his last one, making the circle complete so to speak. SSJ3 looked powerful and I did think that SSJ4 would extend the hair even further but I'm glad that they didn't. I love how they adapted Goku's regular hairstyle for this form and added the fur. It's pink yeah, but it does make for a nice contrast with the black hair. It's a bit over the top but it looks powerful which an upgrade is supposed to look like.

The whole form just looks intense and kinda reminds me of kabuki theatre with the 'wild' hair and the added details around the eyes.

Conversely I dislike how Super's forms actually look like downgrades compared to SSJ3 and are basically just recolors.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:09 pm

I like it a lot save for screawing with the color scheme, there was no thematic reason with it had to ditch the yellow for a redish one.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:44 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:I like it a lot save for screawing with the color scheme, there was no thematic reason with it had to ditch the yellow for a redish one.
It still has the golden aura to be fair

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:23 am

Never liked the slightly wonky color scheme and seriously dislike the "magic pants."

But the general idea of it? A higher form unlocked by combining Super Saiyan and Oozaru, and then pushing it a step further by gaining control of yourself in Oozaru form? It's a good concept, and it's no wonder that SSj4 is so many people's favorite part of GT (or the only part they liked much at all.)

If I was using SSj4 as a fanfiction/fanmanga form I'd ditch the "magic pants" (probably use Oozaru-style fur to cover the crotches instead -- like a mostly bare torso, but with the fur on the arms and covering the lower body) and shift the fur color more toward the brown range rather than the odd almost pinkish red they used. Also, no "pulling out" Goku's tail, it would need to be restored with a wish or magic (...okay, maybe the "pulling it out" can still be there, but explained as being not literally just pulling it out, but the old Kaioshin's slightly wonky method of using his creation powers and/or the magic from the witch he's fused with.)
Yeah so you're okay with the countless other instances of magic clothing in the show? Piccolo's magic clothes that grow with him when he transforms. Vegeta's magic saiyan armor.
The "magic pants" are bad because SSj4 is a form that comes purely from Saiyan biology. It's not a godly form or a form with magical/creation properties, it's just a Saiyan ape thing. Goku transforms into Golden Oozaru which tears up his clothes, and then he becomes able to access a controlled form that condenses that power back down into humanoid size, and... suddenly his pants are not just back in one piece after being shredded in the process of going Oozaru, but they're a different size than his previous pants which he was wearing as a kid! (SSj4 changing kid Goku to an adult is a little odd, too, but at least that can be explained by its Oozaru traits -- Oozaru seems to be about the same size for a kid as an adult, so there's some logic to SSj4 also being adult-sized even if your normal state is a kid.)

Those other examples of "magic clothing" aren't as jarring as SSj4's pants because they make sense for the character.

Piccolo uses a borderline-magical Namekian/demonic technique to create his clothes (and other items every now and then), so his clothes growing to fit his body when he goes to giant mode doesn't seem that unusual. Piccolo knows his own body and how it works, and he magically creates his clothes, so he's going to make clothes with properties that account for all of his quirks (like stretchy arms and giant growth.)

The armor worn by the Saiyans and Freeza's army is built to stretch to the extreme (this is explained on screen by Vegeta, even!), and we see that it can handle bulked-up forms like Zarbon's without any trouble as well as stretching to fit properly when Gohan and Krillin put their suits on. Vegeta's personal suit of the same super-technological stretchy armor being able to accommodate his giant ape form isn't that strange.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Wed May 12, 2021 8:35 pm

what do guys think about the SSJ4 alternate?
Goku:

Gogeta:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 13, 2021 11:18 am

I like the final design used better. The red and black combination really pops and the pants are also a nice coloring choice to break up the colors with some variety.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

TheFallenProfit

Post by TheFallenProfit » Thu May 13, 2021 11:33 am

Hands down the greatest transformation in the history of the franchise

The lore
The unique abilities
The ascended forms
The steps required to actually achieve it
The perfect design

Everything about it showcases what the true primal power of the saiyans is supposed be.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Thu May 13, 2021 2:04 pm

I really like the design of Goku and Gogeta but I don't like Vegeta's hair.

Concept wise it's very creative, original and unique. It represents the saiyans well.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri May 21, 2021 9:29 pm

I do. Its awesome. Its primal, its prehistoric. Its incredibly powerful.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

SuperSunnyDee

Post by SuperSunnyDee » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:59 pm

I knew there were people who disliked SSJ4 but I’ve never met anyone who only knew fans that didn’t like the form. Wow.

I really like SSJ4. Like everyone else here has said, I think it’s a great way of going back to the primal animalistic traits of the Saiyans, after that aspect of their culture had been unimportant for so long with the removal of their tails and stuff. I love the wild hair, red fur, and I can even tolerate the wildly colored pants it seems to come with. Though I think clothes shouldn’t be a hang up for people since I think that was just “anime being anime” rather than something innate to the Transformation.
Overall I think this form is great, and if I didn’t like the Super Saiyan God form so much, I’d say this form deserves to be inserted in that role even more. Heck it’s got the pure black hair true to Saiyans too.

So yeah I love it. But I guess to try and add something a little new, I think they maybe could’ve gone with a yellow color for the hair and fur to keep it more in line with the previous Super Saiyan forms.