Do you like Super Saiyan 4?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Re: Do you like Super Saiyan 4?

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:46 pm

t0ffe3m4n wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:I like SSJ4. Always been my favorite transformation, and I had hoped it would be the God Form in Super when I first heard about it. To this day, I hope to see it implemented in say, the Xenoverse games as a viable transformation. Its unique, and would have been a cool, U7 only transformation. If any of the U7 Saiyans still had tails, that is.

Seeing that screen grab kinda makes me thankful that they didn't use the form in Super - they look awful there.
Sue me, it was the first image I came across that had both of them in it.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:20 am

The lone good thing to come out of GT. That design is fucking killer.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:40 am

I like it. Particularly the Gogeta version of it with reddish pink hair. That said I still like simpler forms like SSB better.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:17 am

jjgp1112 wrote:The lone good thing to come out of GT. That design is fucking killer.
Depends on how high you set the bar. If you're judging it by DBS standards, many good things came out of GT

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:30 pm

Very much. It's one of my favorite designs of Gokû as Super Saiyan 4.

Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta also looks really cool. I've always been a fan of SSJ4 Gogeta with blueish/silver hair and tanned body since the Tenkaichi 3 era.

Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:35 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:Very much. It's one of my favorite designs of Gokû as Super Saiyan 4.

Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta also looks really cool. I've always been a fan of SSJ4 Gogeta with blueish/silver hair and tanned body since the Tenkaichi 3 era.

I always thought that was supposed to be a little joke towards the SSJ5 design that was everywhere back in the day

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Forte224 wrote:I like it. Particularly the Gogeta version of it with reddish pink hair. That said I still like simpler forms like SSB better.
Gogeta had crimson red hair.
Goku's fur was reddish pink.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:52 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:I like it. Particularly the Gogeta version of it with reddish pink hair. That said I still like simpler forms like SSB better.
Gogeta had crimson red hair.
Goku's fur was reddish pink.
Well, whatever I haven't seen it in a while. The point is I liked it.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:52 pm

SSJ4's concept is cool but the design is somewhat confusing...where the hell did Goku get a blue belt and pair of leg warmers? I remember before he transformed, he didn't have them. :eh:

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:54 pm

I love Super Saiyan 4. That form is so badass to me.

The rest of GT, well, not so much.

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:58 pm

I was never a fan, then again I think the transformations are a lazy crutch New enemy, new transformation and repeat. But that's just me.

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:40 pm

OutlawTorn wrote:I was never a fan, then again I think the transformations are a lazy crutch New enemy, new transformation and repeat. But that's just me.
The great thing about the Super Saiyan 4 transformation in particular though is in the concept & execution. It fits pretty perfectly within the Saiyan lore.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:13 pm

I like it the only thing i didn't like was the magical clothing that suddenly appear back on kid Goku

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:09 pm

Asura wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:With the release of Dragon Ball Super, I've ran into a lot of people that seem to really dislike Super Saiyan 4
Can't say I've seen this. Most people I see like SSJ4 a lot, even if they hate GT. It seems the majority of people also prefer SSJ4 to SSB (at least, every single time I've seen that question asked literally anywhere and everywhere the response is almost always overwhelmingly SSJ4. Not much of a surprise given SSB is just a lazy recolor). On this website alone I've seen quite a few threads already asking for people's opinions of SSJ4, and most people are pretty positive about it, just like in this thread.
Can't say I see that either. Most people seem to appreciate it a lot more so now simply because of how badly Super handled SSB, the sight of the recoloring and the overall transformation fatigue people have now from Super, in addition to the U6 Super Saiyan controversies. What I say and others agree with is that GT handled it better where a transformation was not spontaneously out of no where or just thrown in off the will of a character alone which Super does a lot, but they actually handled SS4 with more weight and promoted it solely as like the 'final form' for Goku throughout it. Even if they didn't make SS4 look as strong as it should have been, it had much more to it to follow than how trivial the newer transformation are, that exist exist for the sake of merchandise and where the show itself doesn't even bother addressing them anymore.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:23 pm

I really liked SSJ4, it really reminds you of their ape like heritage that other super Saiyan forms kind of deviate away from. I also kind of like how GT kind of linked it back to Vegeta's original interpretation of the form in the anime only of the golden like ape in the namek arc. Although I may be giving Toei to much credit.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:46 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:I really liked SSJ4, it really reminds you of their ape like heritage that other super Saiyan forms kind of deviate away from. I also kind of like how GT kind of linked it back to Vegeta's original interpretation of the form in the anime only of the golden like ape in the namek arc. Although I may be giving Toei to much credit.
That’s been my theory for years. SSJ4 is the true original Super Saiyan

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Spencer_23 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:50 pm

Very much so!

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:06 pm

SSJ4 is still my favorite transformation to this day. They really went wild with the monkey motif while also making it seem not too ridiculous (Like SSJ3 somehow losing eyebrows ruins the design for me as it's all I see with it.) It also manages to make the form seem unique to everyone who has it by having them with different colors, Goku having magenta fur, Vegeta having red fur, Mira having white fur.

With Dragon Ball Heroes having Goku's new outfit, they've made by far my favorite character design in Dragon Ball and I hope they use it in further games and even the manga if it goes to GT.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:58 pm

I like the concept behind the form of furthering the primate aspect of the Saiyans, but frankly I find it a product of the 90s and definitely a little too complex for the simplicity I love in Dragon Ball. With Super Saiyan, it's a light simple hair change and uplift; however, when things begin to become convoluted, like with Super Saiyan 3 and Super Saiyan 4's design, is when I start to get turned off. Yet, overall, it's fair to admit I have a penchant to dislike almost all of GT's designs; guys like Baby, Omega Shenron, and especially Super 17 are some of the most unappealing designs in Dragon Ball for me. I'd like to think I don't have a particular bias on it simply because they're GT designs, I'm rather neutral on GT overall, but they always come across as so appalling and overly segmented to me, and I think a lot of those designs, Super Saiyan 4 included, lose the timeless charm I find in other designs. Maybe it's just a result of the art direction at the time

10x Kamehameha's pretty cool though :thumbup:
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

Nevaeh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nevaeh » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:28 am

It hasn't aged all that well but I still like it

Least favorite is probably 2. You can't even tell if anyone is using it most of the time. Kid Gohan being the lone exception