Do you like Super Saiyan 4?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Do you like Super Saiyan 4?

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Bullza wrote:
Why do Goku and Vegeta have different shades of fur?

Why is the fur red when the Oozaru is brown?

Why does Goku suddenly gain pants that he wasn't wearing before?

Why does Vegeta have brown hair?
Somehow I blame Super.

As for Goku being more mature in GT, that's not necessarily a good thing, I missed seeing some of his classic energy in personality.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:51 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
As for Goku being more mature in GT, that's not necessarily a good thing, I missed seeing some of his classic energy in personality.
Goku still had his classic energy as shown in plenty of instances; just for most part he's more mature which I really don't see how that can be a bad thing.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:54 pm

I guess he felt more like Toei movie Goku to me.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:12 pm

Well despite his physical appearance, Goku was older and a lot wiser than in Z, so why is him being more mature a bad thing? Besides, in Z, the only time that I recall him being silly during fights were when he was mocking Ginyu's pose.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:48 pm

Because when he starts getting to mature he stops being Goku to me.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:48 pm

He's not Piccolo levels of mature. I can count multiple instances off the top of my head where he displayed moments of childishness; they were just played in moments where it wasn't jarring or unnatural.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:02 pm

Doesn't need to be Piccolo level of maturity for me to have an issue with it. IMO it didn't feel like Goku at times.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:14 pm

I think that his fighting is mature, but his overall demeanor is still very "Goku." Just think of all the stupid stuff he says when not in a fight.

Trickster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trickster » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:36 am

I like it, but it's too fancy to a DB's transformation. I think it would be better if it was the visual of a powerfull villain of the series.

Although, still better than those skinny red hair or the lazy blue/pink one.
Sorry for bad english. I'm not fluent in your language, so, if you want to correct some mistake of mine, please do it. I'll be grateful

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:19 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:I think that his fighting is mature, but his overall demeanor is still very "Goku." Just think of all the stupid stuff he says when not in a fight.
Agree to disagree, I find Super more often than not portrays him better. He loves to fight but cares about his friends and family and has a soft spot for his granddaughter.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:09 am

Definitely. There isn't anything wrong with thinking that Goku is portrayed better in Super. I feel that GT naturally progressed his character. Meanwhile, I saw a lot of people saying that he's actually much more childish in Super, not knowing how kids are made (is that what it was?) and not understanding why Vegeta had to stay with Bulma. I can't see him being like that in Z. For one thing, he sounded very excited when he found out that Trunks was their kid, so he knew what it meant and how important it was.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:13 pm

I guess you could argue Goku's character regressed somewhat starting in the Buu arc when Toriyama brought him back into prominence.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:52 pm

Great transformation. It not only looks cool and original, it was also strong and killed 3 enemies in 64 episodes (take note that SSJ4 appeared after more than half of series). That is a good kill streak compared to all the other forms.

I mean look at DBS. Goku SSJB pretty much struggles with everyone who trained for more than 15 minutes. You can tell viewers that he has a god power, you can tell them that he can fight a god of destruction, but what you show them is Goku SSJB struggling with Gohan and actually almost losing in fair fight to Frieza after 4 months of training. Frieza, a SSJ tier character at best, weaker than DBZ androids.

The only character that was actually stronger than Goku SSJ4 by himself was Omega Shenron. Baby was using Vegeta's body and even then he lost and Super 17 absorbed a lot of energy before. Well, Omega also ate the dragon balls, but even before that he almost killed Goku who needed to break his limit to beat him.

That's what is best in SSJ4. No one ever came close to that power. But in Super, it's not really hard to surpass and even beat SSJ God or Blue.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:08 am

I dislike it a lot, at least in terms of its visual design. I think the idea itself is unique and the call-back is pretty great to Saiyan's ape transformation.

However, the magical clothes that come with the design is a huge gripe of mine. So, the clothes they initially transform in for the first time, are now stuck with that apparel forever? Vegeta literally regrows his shirt when he falls back to base form!

I do think it's overly designed... if that makes sense. The original Super Saiyan transformation's aesthetic is so unexpected due to how it was hyped up to be this magical, savage transformation of character, and instead is more of a pure form of self. SSJ4 reminds me of when Vegeta recounted the legends and we see what most of us thinks it would look like (a play on the Oozaru form) but is instead not that at all.

SSJ4 follows a different philosophy, and would be better not as a SSJ transformation, but as a different form/transformation altogether. It's concept is just too different to SSJ that on its own which I think works better, not as a successor to the SSJ transformation, but as a new branch of being.

But really, get rid of the magical clothes that come with it. Even in the games, the form has its own costume rather than the clothes the character is wearing at that moment...
Last edited by Attitudefan on Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:35 am

I do, though as pointed out above, the magic clothes are immensely stupid.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:20 am

Attitudefan wrote:I dislike it a lot, at least in terms of its visual design. I think the idea itself is unique and the call-back is pretty great to Saiyan's ape transformation.

However, the magical clothes that come with the design is a huge gripe of mine. So, the clothes they initially transform in for the first time, are now stuck with that apparel forever? Vegeta literally regrows his shirt when he falls back to base form!

I do think it's overly designed... if that makes sense. The original Super Saiyan transformation's aesthetic is so unexpected due to how it was hyped up to be this magical, savage transformation of character, and instead is more of a pure form of self. SSJ4 reminds me of when Vegeta recounted the legends and we see what most of us thinks it would look like (a play on the Oozaru form) but is instead not that at all.

SSJ4 follows a different philosophy, and would be better not as a SSJ transformation, but as a different form/transformation altogether. It's concept is just too different to SSJ that on its own which I think works better, not as a successor to the SSJ transformation, but as a new branch of being.

But really, get rid of the magical clothes that come with it. Even in the games, the form has its own costume rather than the clothes the character is wearing at that moment...
For me clothes work the same as for fusion or clothes beam. They just appear and that's all.
Although i agree that SSJ4 shouldn't really be SSJ forms. And tbh, it isn't. For me it's some kind of mix between SSJ and Oozaru just like god forms are SSJ mixed with god ki. Calling it "SSJ4" makes people think it's next form after SSJ3, but it has completely nothing to do with SSJ3 or SSJ2. The name is confusing. SSJ2 and SSJ3 were just improvements of SSJ, while SSJ4 is completely different form.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:32 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
SSJ4 follows a different philosophy, and would be better not as a SSJ transformation, but as a different form/transformation altogether. It's concept is just too different to SSJ that on its own which I think works better, not as a successor to the SSJ transformation, but as a new branch of being..
To be fair, I believe it was said somewhere that SSJ4 is only called that out of convenience and really is a whole different type of transformation entirely.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:02 pm

In generally, yea, but things like the fur baffle me. But overall, it's fine, not really worth loving/hating imo. It's just kinda there, just like the rest of GT.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:07 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:In generally, yea, but things like the fur baffle me. But overall, it's fine, not really worth loving/hating imo. It's just kinda there, just like the rest of GT.
It baffles you that a race of humanoids that transform into giant monkeys would have a form with fur? It makes a whole lot more sense than your hair randomly getting longer or changing a different color

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:08 pm

Timetraveller wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:In generally, yea, but things like the fur baffle me. But overall, it's fine, not really worth loving/hating imo. It's just kinda there, just like the rest of GT.
It baffles you that a race of humanoids that transform into giant monkeys would have a form with fur? It makes a whole lot more sense than your hair randomly getting longer or changing a different color
I meant the color of the fur, and the way it forms like a coat around them. Just like dumb imo shrug
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸