Are the Japanese voices of Dragon Ball too much recycled and full of Miscast?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Are the Japanese voices of Dragon Ball too much recycled and full of Miscast?

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:01 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Rasp can be good, but if there's too much rasp, it can make the voice forced and limited in emotion. Sabat's Vegeta in the remastered and GT dubs comes to mind. The reason why I preferred Drummond's voice was because it was less raspy. Sure, it was high-pitched and sounded nothing like Horikawa, but Drummond could emote with it better than Sabat. Nowadays, Sabat can emote better with his voice from Kai-onwards.
Drummond's Vegeta voice was VERY raspy. It's a distinctive and interesting performance.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Are the Japanese voices of Dragon Ball too much recycled and full of Miscast?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:03 pm

ABED wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Rasp can be good, but if there's too much rasp, it can make the voice forced and limited in emotion. Sabat's Vegeta in the remastered and GT dubs comes to mind. The reason why I preferred Drummond's voice was because it was less raspy. Sure, it was high-pitched and sounded nothing like Horikawa, but Drummond could emote with it better than Sabat. Nowadays, Sabat can emote better with his voice from Kai-onwards.
Drummond's Vegeta voice was VERY raspy. It's a distinctive and interesting performance.
Yes, I know it was raspy but not to the extent of Sabat's.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:06 pm

My interest is piqued! Please PM the name of the character if you cant share it here.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:33 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:
Yes, I know it was raspy but not to the extent of Sabat's.
I respectfully disagree.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:44 pm

You know, sometimes I feel like there should be some sort of Ocean dub thread (aside from the one in the Kai section) so these things can get hashed out. Isn't this supposed to be about the Japanese voices? I understand that comparisons are inevitable, but How'd this get turned into Ocean vs. Funi?
Last edited by TheGreatness25 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Wow. While you have never been rude and you've always kept your cool, this is the very first time I've seen you ,ABED, actually say "Respectfully Disagree". Its really weird but also heartwarming to see.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:50 pm

It's almost always the case that I do, but sadly I feel I have to explicitly say "respectfully" because some see almost any argument/debate as disrespect. Thanks, though. 'tis the season.

Sorry about the digression. I don't know if I have much to add beyond what I've already written. The only "miscasts" if you can call them that are the replacements. I can't think of one from the Japanese cast that was better than the originals.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:52 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:You know, sometimes I feel like there should be some sort of Ocean dub thread (aside from the one in the Kai section) so these things can get hashed out. Isn't this supposed to be about the Japanese voices? I understand that comparisons are inevitable, but How'd this get turned into Ocean vs. Funi?
Some things never change.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:19 pm

The only role I think is a miscast in Japanese DB is Nozawa's Bardock. Because while the performance she gives us does work in the same way she works for Tullece, but at the same time I feel Bardock would have been better voiced by experienced VA Akira Kamiya as I feel he would suit the savage badassery of Bardock better. It's the same as how Minato Namikaze isn't voiced by Junko Takeuchi just because he sorta looks like Naruto because he has a very different personality.

The thing is in comparison to most other Japanese anime where characters either start with a female voice actor for the child version of the character and switch to an adult male actor for the teenage version and vice versa. Dragon Ball tends to keep the same voice actor throughout their entire life the examples being the Son family males, Trunks, and Vegeta.

The problem with this for most anime fans is that they hold anime to a more realistic standard than American cartoons and are thus turned away from a 9 year old voiced by an adult male, a 30+ year old man voice by a old woman, and even an old woman voiced by an old man. Some view this as lazy casting because the Japanese animation industry has the voice actors that people feel could easily fill those roles better. This doesn't bother me personally but It's something to think about.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:20 am

VegettoEX wrote:
MrTennek wrote:Yeah, Japanese cast isn't very good tbh...Very miscast as you put it!
You're not answering the actual question at hand, specifically regarding the recycling of actors/actresses in to multiple roles.

Your (single-sentence) posts thus far seem to be focused around promoting your love of FUNimation's English dub. While there is nothing inherently wrong with this in and of itself, you may wish to contribute more than this one-note spiel in your forum adventures.
Your (paper-thin) passive aggressiveness isn't exactly encouraging me to do so.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:40 am

Uhhhh... you cant be this rude to a mod.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:06 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Uhhhh... you cant be this rude to a mod.
Or anybody.

I know that sometimes our emotions get the best of us, but rudeness and disrespect shouldn't be tolerated on these, or any other forums. If you want to feel like a big shot by talking down to people anonymously online, I don't think there's room for that. It contributes nothing and nobody likes logging on to see the mess.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Yeah i think its too much when Nozawa voices all of the males of Goku's family outside of Raditz and even the Goku lookalikes.
I think 3 characters are enough for a single person to voice,Gohan and Goten should have had a different VA(at the least Gohan since Goten is not that important).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:55 pm

Whatever wrote:I think 3 characters are enough for a single person to voice
Why? I don't see a good reason why not and you say three is enough but her second biggest role is Gohan, so that fits within the limit you set.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:00 pm

Peter Sellers played three completely unrelated characters in Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. I don't see why Nozawa Masako or anyone else cannot do the same or even more. A single good actor can really do some funny things even if they don't entirely pretend to be different characters.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:04 pm

ABED wrote:
Whatever wrote:I think 3 characters are enough for a single person to voice
Why? I don't see a good reason why not and you say three is enough but her second biggest role is Gohan, so that fits within the limit you set.
Oops i pressed 3 by mistake i meant 2,2 roles in general to important characters,Goku,Gohan,Bardock and Black fall in this category despite the last 2 not being reocurring.
Since she is the voice of Goku and she did an awesome job as Black,i think Gohan and Bardock are the ones in need of new VA.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:16 pm

Seeing as how she voiced Gohan WAY before black...

Also, why the limit?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:30 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Peter Sellers played three completely unrelated characters in Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. I don't see why Nozawa Masako or anyone else cannot do the same or even more. A single good actor can really do some funny things even if they don't entirely pretend to be different characters.
I know you are pro Masako Nozawa but this word here makes it seem like you dont think she can handle serious scenes. I know you didnt intend this interpretation so I suggest more clear and precise wording.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:05 pm

ABED wrote:Seeing as how she voiced Gohan WAY before black...

Also, why the limit?
Because in my opinion her voice fits Black way much more than Gohan but her voice only fitted Kid Gohan and not so much teenager or adult Gohan.

The reasoning for my limit is because there is also a limit to how much you can listen the same voice,we need some variety and while Nozawa changes the tone of her voice for the different characters she voices she does not have enough range to differentiate or set them apart from each other.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:58 pm

Whatever wrote:
ABED wrote:Seeing as how she voiced Gohan WAY before black...

Also, why the limit?
Because in my opinion her voice fits Black way much more than Gohan but her voice only fitted Kid Gohan and not so much teenager or adult Gohan.

The reasoning for my limit is because there is also a limit to how much you can listen the same voice,we need some variety and while Nozawa changes the tone of her voice for the different characters she voices she does not have enough range to differentiate or set them apart from each other.
That's objectively not true. her Gohan doesn't sound exactly like Goku. I don't know Japanese, but even I can tell the difference blindfolded.