What is your favourite single minute from the whole Dragon Ball Franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

What is your favourite single minute from the whole Dragon Ball Franchise?

Post by Bullza » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:20 pm

We've had discussions on Favourite Sagas, Movies, Episodes and all that but what I want to know is from the entire franchise and of course this includes all the movies too, what is your favourite consecutive 60 seconds of Dragon Ball.

From A to B, 60 seconds, it doesn't have to be exact, but what stands out to you as your favourite?

So for example for me at the moment. It would be this

https://youtube.com/watch?v=K9CtGqOKrgQ

0:10-1:10

Super Saiyan Blue Goku Kaioken x20 vs Jiren, the fight scene between them.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Re: What is your favourite single minute from the whole Dragon Ball Franchise?

Post by AloversGaming » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4pFpsR0BQ4

Teen Goku reuniting with Bulma and crew. I love the entire scene, but i'd pick the moment they all see his face my favourite.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:08 pm

Mine of course is Vegeta kicking the living hell out of Freeza. Not only does this scene make up for what happened to him on Namek but also every other shortcoming he's had up to this point. The fruits of him leaving his old ways behind in the Buu arc are at their best here and make everything he went through worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1l5-3q8E6Q

If I had to point to one thing that justifies Super's existence it's that scene.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:12 pm

Mine is actually from ep. 67.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-nuPqBZUtU

Roughly from minute 2 to minute 3. Such a powerful scene. The immortal soul of Zamasu merging with the very fabric of existence and unleashing such a massive amount of destruction that turned Earth into a desolate wasteland in an instant and killed almost every living being left on the planet (in addition, i adore the Goku Black's theme that plays in the background, such a nice addition to this scene that shows the full wrath of a shattered God). I particularily love the shot of Zamasu's twisted influence spreading across the Universe with his creepy laugh on the background.

The reason i adore this moment is not simply because it features my favourite character getting his own back on his enemies, but also because everyone Trunks swore to protect died before his very eyes and he was powerless to stop it. It also nullified everything the good guys achieved in the previous episodes. Such a dark scene, because usually you expect a happy ending from Dragon Ball, but this was not the case in the Future Trunks' arc, and this scene proves it.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:15 pm

Pan looking back at the city ruins, beginning to cry and saying "Ojii-chan ...", noticing that he is still there and using the Genkidama.

Such moments will never set GT below anything in the franchise.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:53 pm

For favorite single minute in the DB franchise I'm gonna go with Goku reuniting with his grandpa and it's probably the only scene in DB that makes me tear up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn3ksr0TZWc :cry:
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:39 pm

It's probably more than one minute, but my favorite one is Bardock's rampage. From the exact moment soldiers exit Freeza's ship until Bardock throws his Final Spirit Cannon.

Kudos to Xenoverse 2 for managing to make an even better version of that scene.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:19 pm

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:24 pm

For me it's got to be the sequence of Goku and Beerus fighting their way up into space in Battle of Gods. Between the animation, the insert song by FLOW and Sean Schemmel's epic scream in the dub, it might have been the package that got me back into Dragon Ball.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:36 pm

I don't believe I could narrow it down and pick one.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:52 pm

Goku kicking Drum's head off, saving Tenshinhan from certain death. That's a great scene!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:42 pm

I'll name a few more of my favorites from Super because why not.

- The scene where Trunks senses Black, turns around and you see the hurricane storm and Black come down from it up to when Trunks is knocked down.

- The scene where Goku and Trunks stand back to back then fight Black and Zamasu in that epic cut of action.

- The first one minute of action between Vegito and Zamasu from when they actually start fighting for the first time.

- The scene when Trunks Spirit Bomb appears and they're all bewildered by it up to when he kills Zamasu.

- The one minute following Ultra Instinct Goku's kick at Jiren which he dodges.

- The one minute leading up to the Kamehameha that Ultra Instinct Goku uses to beat Kefla.
Kataphrut wrote:For me it's got to be the sequence of Goku and Beerus fighting their way up into space in Battle of Gods. Between the animation, the insert song by FLOW and Sean Schemmel's epic scream in the dub, it might have been the package that got me back into Dragon Ball.
Yeah that's a really good one too, that might have been my favourite prior to Dragon Ball Super actually.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:05 pm

It's way more than a minute, but the opening to the very first episode of Kai that recaps the original Dragon Ball. I get why the original Z didn't have this (Funimation would basically have to ask for ALL of Dragon Ball and then compile bits of it to make such a montage), but if you're starting from Z it does a lot to explain who the characters are, what the Dragon Balls do and what Goku's backstory is, particularly his relationship with Piccolo. As a fan of the original DB it makes me tear up every single time that my favourite part of the story gets its due at the start of Z.

Second place would be The Blue Travelers sequence at the end of the RRA arc.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:30 pm

Kataphrut wrote:For me it's got to be the sequence of Goku and Beerus fighting their way up into space in Battle of Gods. Between the animation, the insert song by FLOW and Sean Schemmel's epic scream in the dub, it might have been the package that got me back into Dragon Ball.
That scene is also my absolute favorite. I mean just... holy crap! That scene!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue5A_5zJPUc

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:12 am

I can tell you my favorite 10 seconds, and I was actually thinking about it this morning. It's when Goku delivers his double neck chop to Tao, then wraps his legs around his neck, pulverizes him, and finally kicks himself off.

The bit is so iconic to me, maybe because the anime liked using it in flashbacks so much, but it epitomizes the journey and growth of kid Goku for me. Surpassing Tao, the 290 year old immortal assassin, was a big deal. Dragon Ball might have more brutal moments, and it might have better choreographed moments or better animated moments, but something about the way Goku beats the shit out of Tao is so satisfying to me, above all else.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:57 am

nickzambuto wrote:The bit is so iconic to me, maybe because the anime liked using it in flashbacks so much, but it epitomizes the journey and growth of kid Goku for me. Surpassing Tao, the 290 year old immortal assassin, was a big deal. Dragon Ball might have more brutal moments, and it might have better choreographed moments or better animated moments, but something about the way Goku beats the shit out of Tao is so satisfying to me, above all else.
Tao for me is an incredibly important character because he's Goku's first villain on a truly personal level. Krillin was a bully and Blue certainly put up a tough fight, but it was Tao killing Bora, the father of Goku's newest friend, that made him get serious and outright furious in a fight, something we wouldn't see again until he chases after Tambourine. He's also the first villain he loses to badly and has to train up in order to defeat, establishing that trope for the first time ever.

Tao's also the second villain to have his own music track, after Blue.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:06 pm

KBABZ wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:The bit is so iconic to me, maybe because the anime liked using it in flashbacks so much, but it epitomizes the journey and growth of kid Goku for me. Surpassing Tao, the 290 year old immortal assassin, was a big deal. Dragon Ball might have more brutal moments, and it might have better choreographed moments or better animated moments, but something about the way Goku beats the shit out of Tao is so satisfying to me, above all else.
Tao for me is an incredibly important character because he's Goku's first villain on a truly personal level. Krillin was a bully and Blue certainly put up a tough fight, but it was Tao killing Bora, the father of Goku's newest friend, that made him get serious and outright furious in a fight, something we wouldn't see again until he chases after Tambourine. He's also the first villain he loses to badly and has to train up in order to defeat, establishing that trope for the first time ever.

Tao's also the second villain to have his own music track, after Blue.
Even big fans of the series often say that Goku has no character development and he's the same from beginning to end, but I disagree. I think the reason I like the Tao stuff so much is because it was a very pivotal moment in Goku's journey. He wasn't always so ambitious and hard working, before meeting Bulma, he was just living in isolation in the woods and showed no signs of being discontent. It was only after Bulma introduced him to the larger world and showed him how many interesting people and places there are, that he decided to go train with Kamesennin, but even after that, he wasn't immediately thinking about how to further his training.

After Goku is defeated so brutally by Tao, and when he has Upa basically begging him for help, there's a series of panels with no dialogue where Goku looks at his hands, then looks up at Karin's Tower, and after thinking about it for several seconds, he makes the decision to climb it. This decision is what put Goku on his path towards endless self improvement, but if he hadn't lost the 21st Budokai, would he have made the same decision? He might have gotten caught up in arrogance after being declared the strongest under the Heavens. "Ain't no way that guy beat me! It was a fluke! I'm already the strongest in the world!" So he would have just sought Tao out immediately, rather than admitting his limitations and choosing to improve himself.

Tao came along at the perfect time, because Goku needed that hard defeat in order to realize his own limits. But it's the fact that Goku realized those limits, and didn't just accept them as the way things are, but instead chose to dedicate himself towards an arduous journey and improve, and the fact that he succeeded so wondrously, that makes that part of the story so good. Tao, who Toriyama established very effectively as being a badass killer, getting surpassed utterly in every way is such good payoff, it proves the fruits of Goku's hard work, it says very simply "If you put in the hard work, you will succeed" and that just makes me feel great.

ALL of this is encapsulated within that 10 seconds where Goku is on Tao's neck.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:24 pm

Genkidama Trunks slashing Merged Zamasu, i dont care about PLs but it was a great scene to show how much Trunks grew in the Zamasu Arc, it made sense that he got to destroy Zamasus physical body, it was HIS arc.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:27 pm

That's so hard to find, but I think it'd be the first time Kuririn dies in DB, or when Piccolo pierces Goku's chest in their fight. Or a part of the fight Gotenks vs Boo. Or when Oob fuses with Boo in Dbgt. Or when Goku disappears on Shenlong's back.